Best Teen Angst Records

ira

Teen angst is so much apart of rock and roll and SO well done by one Mr. Carmen..

Eric....I LOVED the Lesley Gore records too..but even as a kid...thought she had the perfect voice for those records and was as cute and likable as all hell...

..but I never thought she had one of the classic voices of rock...

Again...I'm a big fan...AND it turns out she writes pretty damn good too..See "Out Here On My Own"...( Fame)..

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Lesley's voice as well as your thoughts on a few of your other favorite Teen Angst Classic records and artists..

For example..Dion..."Runaround Sue"....Del Shannon..Little Town Flirt".."Hats Off To Larry"..?...and the like...

Thanx..

Ira..The King Of Ongoing Teen Angst...

• Like 3

Teen angst and I were very close. I liked to wear lots of black eyeliner because that way if I cried, it was more obvious I was hanging with angst that day. 

The two songs which immediately come to my mind are:

The End of The World - Skeeter Davis

Sunday Will Never Be The Same - Spanky And Our Gang

I liked Leslie Gore and It's My Party is a fun girl song, but it didn't evoke angst for me at the time. 

What's "Hats Off To Larry" cuz that doesn't sound angsty.  :)

• Like 2

"I Can't Explain," (" I'm getting funny dreams again and again...." ) "T-t-t-talkin' 'bout my g-generation...." ( the stuttering delivery was pure genius ) and "Pictures Of Lilly" ( a song about...um...well..you know what ! ) "Maybe I Know"( my favorite Lesley Gore record ), Most everything I wrote for "Raspberries," ("I Don't Know What I Want") comes to mind. All of the early Beatles' singles, "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones, half of Led Zeppelin's catalogue ( "Whole Lotta Love" )....This list could go on FOREVER because, probably one-third of all the 45 RPM records ever recorded dealt with "teen angst." "I Hate Myself For Lovin' You" ( my favorite Joan Jett song ) half of Holland, Dozier and Holland's catalogue, three quarters of Motown's catalogue, the entire "Pet Sounds" album,.... etc, etc, etc.

e

• Like 7

Angst is angst....I think we adults feel the angst as much as the teens, or more.  Nothing has changed for me, my heart still beats hard for the opposite sex.

Having said that, when I was in high school Eric Carmen was my go to for when things weren't going my way with my girl friend.

"If You Change Your Mind" was a big go to for me.  "I Can Remember", "Don't Wanna Say Goodbye", "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again".....these were also on the team of go tos.

P.S. Of course it was all hypothetical - how could I (James) ever have trouble with love??

:)

• Like 6

"Don't Wanna Say Goodbye" is certainly an angsty fit - sigh, sigh, sigh...

I agree James, I don't think/feel the angst of adulthood concerning emotional states of love, loss or perceived slights hurt less, but perhaps are dealt with a bit differently.  Life now tends to be more complex. 

Another song concerning complicated feelings would be "My Favorite Mistake" by Sheryl Crow - she nails that one.

• Like 2

I kinda like "Laugh, Laugh" by the Beau Brummels.  The lyrics have a clean running cadence as if someone were speaking them even if there were no melody to it, and you could be listening to a guy or a girl, depending on who is performing.  I must admit I also liked it when it was on "The Flintstones" when the show was on the air in the evening hours.  :D

AnneNR

• Like 2

James said:

Angst is angst....I think we adults feel the angst as much as the teens, or more. Nothing has changed for me, my heart still beats hard for the opposite sex.

"I will never be free, you'll always be a part of me"

I almost didn't post as I couldn't think of a teenaged "angst" song, but when I saw what James wrote it hit home.

The song "Always Something There to Remind Me" (Naked Eyes) is more of a love "tormented" adult song, but it was also my "first" angst song at the sweet age of 20. Don't let me shoot tequila and hear this song as I'll be right back in early '83, not knowing my a$$ from my elbow when it came to the opposite sex and first time heartbreak.

• Like 6

On 4/28/2014 at 1:12 AM, Eric Carmen said:

Sheryl Crow TOTALLY gets the Stones, AND rock'n roll.. "My Favorite Mistake" is brilliant. The only record of hers I didn't get was that horrible duet with Kid Rock. Awful song. Awful record.

The Kid Rock incident was really off the mark for Sheryl.

One of my favorite very old school adult songs in the angsty category is "Learnin' The Blues" sung by Fitzgerald and Armstrong. 

Wow!! Naked Eyes really made unique use of tubular bells sound.  Great arrangement of Mr. Burt Bacharach & Mr. Hal David's song.  This is another one with good running cadence of the lyrics.  I can hear it in my head, Wendy-Ann.  Thanks for the reminder! :D

AnneNR

• Like 1

On 4/28/2014 at 10:58 AM, Cayennegirl said:

One of my favorite very old school adult songs in the angsty category is "Learnin' The Blues" sung by Fitzgerald and Armstrong. 

Ella Fitzgerald - The tone, clarity or whatever you want to call it in her voice was too, too beautiful. I've got a CD where she sings the Gerswin songbook in '57 -  the absolute height of her vocal capabilities. I could go on and on, I really could.

• Like 3

Ella just had this rare and crystalline voice.  Not sure if those are music terms to describe a voice, but when she sings:

...The nights when you don't sleep, the whole night you're crying
You can't forget her(him), soon you even stop trying...

That's killer stuff in a great but angsty way.  :) 

• Like 1

Dion did GREAT Teen Angst records.."Runaround Sue".."Lovers Who Wander".."Drip Drop".."Lonely Teenager"...etc.

But I chose to upload this one...WHY..??

1. 'Cause I'm an educator...and this one has been lost in time and Professor Ira has a Doctorate in the field of "Lost Hits".. ^_^
  2. This is a GREAT record..
  3. For a song that IS NOT a novelty record..it actually features a kazoo...(GASP!)..and IMHO...gets away with it!

..(This is a fun topic... :) ..ENJOY!!)

• Like 3

Teen angst- "I'm not Your Steppin' Stone" by The Monkees. Stones' "Get off of My Cloud". In regards to Sheryl Crow, I always felt that she should cover "Stuck in the Middle with You" by Steelers Wheel. It totally has her "sound"- slide guitars, good mix of acoustic & electric guitars, perfect key for her voice, etc...

• Like 2