Does anyone who bought "The Essential..."...

Ok, I will jump right out here first. I really enjoyed the notes you wrote for each song. It gave me some insight to what you were thinking or feeling as you were writing these songs. The hand written song notes were interesting but unfortunately my accounting brain does not understand the difference between a bridge and a chorus. LOL So to sum it up...I love it!

Keep doing what you're doing. Another, please?

â¤ï¸ sherrie

• Like 4

Before I even put the first disc in my computer to play it, I slowly went through the entire booklet. As my friends in England would say...I was chuffed to bits how great it is!  :)  I love that a lot of time and care went into the whole package - You can tell is wasn't hastily thrown together. The mixture of past and present pictures, the images of fan memorabilia, the quotes from other musicians, and your comments for each song make this a fantastic package. I really like the picture choices for the front cover and back of the package as well! Kudos to you and your team for putting together an outstanding keepsake.

The only "bad" thing for me is that I now need readers as I page through CD booklets! ;)

Tim

• Like 8

I think the pictures featured are perfect choices and show you at your best from start to finish.  Love the flowered jacket you're wearing in the beginning and you have that sexy Russian look Natalia is so fond of.  The black and white photo of you looking down with those dark long lashes is perfect, as is the one of you singing in the studio in a tee.  You are perfect as the silver fox/hot potato you are now...all just perfect!

The liner notes are fantastic and I agree with birdy, as the nod to "Mozart's God" gives us more insight into the process of a creative genius.

I really enjoyed and completely related to Cherrie Currie's comments.

Seeing (one very treasured) and a few other bits of memorabilia included in the art package is simply a dream come true...the second huge thrill of my life related to you.

(I didn't even realize my name was listed until birdy and Redd pointed that fact out to me.) :)

Big love,

M.E. 

• Like 7

I love it all, Eric! When I received my package, containing "The Essential Eric Carmen", in the mail...I felt like a "kid in a candy shop", tearing it open. Then, when I opened the CD case, and slipped out the booklet, I was taken back to my childhood once again, reminiscent of what it was like to tear open a box of Cracker Jacks, how I would dig my hand deeply inside the box, and that thrilling moment when I peered into the palm of my hand, on those lucky instances when I discovered the best prize ever tucked inside!

The photography speaks for itself...rarely have I ever seen a bad photo of you! I especially love the photo on the inside flap of the cover, and the one further in the booklet, on the page where there are quotes from Courtney Love, and Slash (I posted that shot in the gallery here, after I saw it included in the Houston Press article)! I also liked the cover photograph, and how it was selected from the same photo shoot as the cover of "Marathon Man". I read that Bernie picked the photo of you, with the collar folded down on one side, because of the imperfection, whereas the cover photo for "The Essential..." is pretty much perfect...Just like the entire package of "The Essential Eric Carmen"!

One of my favorite things about the book, "Marathon Man", is the section in the back, titled, "Musical Rorschach", where you commented on practically every song you had ever written (up to that point). Imagine my delight, as I began thumbing through the booklet in "The Essential...", only to discover more of the same intimate touch, as I started to read the comments from you. numbering every track, taking the listener inside your mindset when writing each individual song, along with stories and snippets of your career at that particular point in time. To me, it added so much to the pleasure of listening to the discs, to be able to read your entries, while simultaneously listening to every sublime track!

Another part of the booklet and back inside cover lining on the case that I adore, are the photos of your handwritten lyrics. Just as I was intrigued looking at your handwritten lyrics, and "scratch outs", in the "BOATS Blog", to my favorite song of all time, "Boats Against The Current",  I loved seeing how other songs, such as, "Tonight" and "I Wanna Be With You", evolved into the finished gems they are.

It was also so neat to see excerpts and quotes from so many diverse and talented artists in the booklet, mutual fans of yours, who have been influenced by you and your music through the years. 

I really feel like the overall attention to detail of the add-ons...From the photography, to the booklet, its commentary, and liner notes... Come together to make the entire package cohesively combine, and take the total experience of listening to "The Essential Eric Carmen", to a whole new level! Thanks so much for giving us listeners so many delightful, unexpected bonuses!

41e1ef07-dc1d-4137-a2de-eb32f6142a2e_zps

• Like 4

Yea, Eric- first class all the way!  Anytime I see the names "Bernie Hogya and Ken Sharp" in the mix, I know we have a winner!!  It's amazing how much detail you retain in your memory.  Songs you've talked about in the past produced new revelations- I loved it!  You should be proud of the package...something to be cherished for this fan :) 

• Like 6

Attention to detail comes to mind, after all this is your baby.  I felt like a teenager opening up a LP cover anxiously curious as to what I would find inside.  It's a little piece of history with every note attached to every track in the CD.  I love the pictures and the hand written notes of your composing genius.  I loved it all, but the music speaks for itself.....masterpiece!

Thanks for the experience!

Hugs, bugs,

Teresa

• Like 5

Having a quote from a Sex Pistol gives you punk cred. Maybe you can pick up his award from the HOF for him? Last I heard it, it was still there.

Oh birdy, I loved this quote too.  I lived in swinging London for a while in the 70s.  As I read somewhere...um, not Oscar Wilde..."All life's problems can be solved in the mosh pit."  :lol:

• Like 4

The packaging is terrific and I love the way the quotes of the admirers, your own thoughts, and the memorabilia are intertwined. Great choice of photos, some of which I had never seen prior, and something we have all hoped for one day in one comprehensive package. I also love that on the last inner page is a current photo, so it shows the full range of your career to date, which is what "The Essential" series is all about.

BTW, where did you come up with that picture ticket from Blue island Illinois in 1976 from? Who keeps ticket stubs from 38 years ago? THAT made the packaging complete!!!!!! (I kid, I kid!)

Seriously, fabulous look to it. Thanks to you and thanks to Sony for delivering.

• Like 6

I haven't bought a CD since I bought my first iPod years ago. The info shared here convinced me to order it from Amazon last Thursday (April 10).

It's taken them WAAAAY longer to deliver it than anything I've ever ordered from them — even in the last few days before Christmas. 

I'm thinking that's a good thing as far as sales are concerned ... :)

Cheryl

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the review I wrote for The Essential Eric Carmen on Amazon.com. I have also written a review for the Raspberries Greatest Hits on Amazon.com as well if you care to read it.

There is a laundry list of reasons to purchase The Essential Eric Carmen. The 2-CD set features many of Eric's hits from throughout his career beginning with his early Cyrus Erie days, to the horribly underrated Raspberries, to his fabulous solo artist days to his long awaited comeback. Go All the Way, Boats Against the Current, Change of Heart and Tonight Your Mine are just a few of my favorites. The second reason is that the songs have been beautifully re-mastered. Eric's vocals are sharper and the music is cleaner than on previous productions. This is certainly through no fault of the artist. But you can now hear the full beauty of the music that was there all along.

The third reason to purchase the set are the liner notes Eric provided for each of the 30 songs, which range from rock to ballads, providing insight into what he was thinking when he wrote them or how he wanted them to sound. There are also comments from other artists who were (and are) fans including Bruce Springsteen, Paul Stanley (KISS), Slash, Courtney Love and others.

There are photos of memorabilia such as concert tickets, song lyrics, and album covers. Finally there is an anthology of color and black and white photos of Eric throughout his career featuring a cover from his first solo album, concert photos, and a candid photo of him recording his enchanting NEW song, A Brand New Year. A Brand New Year alone is enough of a reason for lovers of quality music to purchase this CD set. It's a beautiful story of overcoming adversity and looking forward to...what else...A Brand New Year! Eric interprets the adversity at the beginning of the song with intentional hoarseness followed with a soaring falsetto as he looks forward to better times. His voice is as strong and commanding as ever.

Eric's range as an artist is well displayed on The Essential Eric Carmen and I highly recommend adding it to your music collection.

Dr M

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Great package and the songs sound really good.   I actually prefer listening to these songs on their original albums...it´s just how I prefer listening to music (versus "Best Of.." type records), but having said that, the Essential is a great package.  As good a package as any album I´ve ever purchased.

The sound is high quality.  I love "That´s Rock & Roll" live (so great).  I like that "Starting Over" is a live version.  Eric´s notes re: each song are really neat.  The testimonials from other notable artists are cool.  The art, it´s all first class.

It´s a tremendous CD package for new fans discovering Eric Carmen music.  I basically discovered Eric Carmen´s genius from buying the Raspberries "Best Of, Featuring Eric Carmen"....I then went on to buy all the original studio albums after that.  The Essential is as great a "Best Of" package as is out there so again, I think it will win new fans.  I´ve already purchased 2 copies for 2 people down here in Panamá who, up to now, were not familiar with Eric Carmen but who, after listening to some of his songs (from my proseletizing),  indicated a liking of the music.  So I purchased copies for them. 

That´s 2 new fans down, many more to go!

Anyway, thanks Eric for doing it right, for doing it first class,

James

• Like 4

Absolutely fabulous, articulate reviews of the "The Essential," guys. I do have a question about "The Essential," which I'll pose shortly. But first. . .

There was a rather lively brouhaha--yes, in which I participated--on the EC community forum week before last. And it really took its toll on my heart. I knew I needed to take a break, be away for a while.

Furthermore, I told a friend about my experience. And in his usual bluntness with a dash of sarcastic humor, said, "I have two things to say to you. One: you have way too much time on your hands. And two: you need to get a fxxxin' life."

Well. Allrighty then. As Ace Ventura, pet detective, might say.

I decided then and there to bet him that I could disengage, not only from the EC community, but from the whole internet, for an entire week. And live to tell.

It's been eight days. Okay, so I have a total of over 400 emails to sift through. But I did it. Tended to some real live relationships. Met neglected friends for lunches and suppers ( that's "suppahs" as Eric would sing it and I tawk it, in Southern style). 

Connected perhaps ad nauseum, with my best friend from childhood, to whom I had sent one of my five copies of "The Essential." She and I resurrected our girly argument from 1973, whether we loved GATW or IWBWY the most. We're still offering to mud-wrestle over this on YouTube, but nobody has encouraged us.

So, my question related to "The Essential" is:

In regard to that lovely live version of "Starting Over," what is the word Eric is singing instead of the "F" word? Perhaps those of you who have classier stereo systems than I, may know what  it is?

Thanks,

RMW

• Like 1

Sometime in the early years of this website (in the 90's), Eric was involved in a thread which talked about Frank Sinatra covering his songs and, consequently, botching up the lyrics.  Eric went on to say something to the effect that, "It's Fxxking Frank Sinatra!"  Somebody got offended by Eric's choice of words...to which I responded (paraphrasing), "Maybe Eric should have mumbled it- you know- like on "Starting Over"..."Used to feel so fuffing optimistic"...

We had a good laugh over my newly made-up word- fuffing!  I don't know that Eric ever mumbled it the same way twice, but 'fuffing' sounded about right for Don Kirschner's Rock Concert!  So, that kind of stuck!  

• Like 4

Absolutely fabulous, articulate reviews of the "The Essential," guys. I do have a question about "The Essential," which I'll pose shortly. But first. . .

There was a rather lively brouhaha--yes, in which I participated--on the EC community forum week before last. And it really took its toll on my heart. I knew I needed to take a break, be away for a while.

Furthermore, I told a friend about my experience. And in his usual bluntness with a dash of sarcastic humor, said, "I have two things to say to you. One: you have way too much time on your hands. And two: you need to get a fxxxin' life."

Well. Allrighty then. As Ace Ventura, pet detective, might say.

I decided then and there to bet him that I could disengage, not only from the EC community, but from the whole internet, for an entire week. And live to tell.

It's been eight days. Okay, so I have a total of over 400 emails to sift through. But I did it. Tended to some real live relationships. Met neglected friends for lunches and suppers ( that's "suppahs" as Eric would sing it and I tawk it, in Southern style). 

Connected perhaps ad nauseum, with my best friend from childhood, to whom I had sent one of my five copies of "The Essential." She and I resurrected our girly argument from 1973, whether we loved GATW or IWBWY the most. We're still offering to mud-wrestle over this on YouTube, but nobody has encouraged us.

In regard to that lovely live version of "Starting Over," what is the word Eric is singing instead of the "F" word? Perhaps those of you who have classier stereo systems than I, may know what  it is?

Thanks,

RMW

1.  "somewhat" is the word...

2.  I used to be more optimistic here myself, but don't let the fuffing stuff get ya down my dear.  ;)

3.  Okay, now for that Youtube dare!  It would make a great addition to our "Come Around And See Me" section.  Next time you take a break and have more relationship time, please do have that beat down with your childhood friend filmed, k?

Hugs,

Cayenne

• Like 3

Through my headphones it sounds like he says "Used to feel so unoptimistic, till she said goodbye" which seems to be the exact opposite of "Used to feel so f***in optimistic, till she said goodbye". I replayed it numerous times. That is what I'm hearing though.

• Like 2

Sometime in the early years of this website (in the 90's), Eric was involved in a thread which talked about Frank Sinatra covering his songs and, consequently, botching up the lyrics.  Eric went on to say something to the effect that, "It's Fxxking Frank Sinatra!"  Somebody got offended by Eric's choice of words...to which I responded (paraphrasing), "Maybe Eric should have mumbled it- you know- like on "Starting Over"..."Used to feel so fuffing optimistic"...

We had a good laugh over my newly made-up word- fuffing!  I don't know that Eric ever mumbled it the same way twice, but 'fuffing' sounded about right for Don Kirschner's Rock Concert!  So, that kind of stuck!  

Love the story! And while I had no idea about "fuffing," it *sounds* like what I hear when I listen to it. Like it's garbled.

(And sometimes, there is no suitable substitute for the "f" word. FrankEffin'Sinatra covering one of your songs would be one of them. See? "Effin'" just doesn't have the same "umph". ;))

Cheryl