Phil Everly

marvin

It saddens me to no end to hear about the passing of Phil Everly. My memory takes me back to when I was about 11 years old, when my dad used to get my older sister and me to listen to the Everly Brothers songs, so that we could learn harmony singing. There wasn't a tune that we didn't know. I adored their songs, their style and their vocal blend. I was lucky enough to see them in two concerts in Montreal in the 1970's. This is the tough part about getting older - seeing the people that you loved as a child, pass away. RIP Phil. 

• Like 5

The Everlys' harmonies were otherworldly. For all the accolades they've earned and received, it seemed for a time, maybe in the late 1970s and 1980s, like they were sort of  forgotten or overlooked in the midst of all the metal, disco, punk, garage, rap, and everything else bursting from the pop music field. But ultimately, there's no mistaking them as originals and as authentic Hall of Famers. Lennon & McCartney sure loved 'em as harmony role models.... (Remember Paul's nod to Phil and Don in "Let 'em In.")

RIP Phil. 

A nice old clip here: 

• Like 3

I met Phil Everly back in the 80's at The Sahara Club in Willoughby Hills,Ohio. They were playing The Front Row...Phil & Don, along with their band, including Albert Lee came by after their gig for a night out.  The Sahara had an outdoor barbecue area that was great....you could be inside the hot bar with the band, or outside, under the stars.  I was introduced to Phil by a mutual friend. He and I stood alone at one point on the patio conversing about their upcoming performance in Las Vegas.....told me about his son....and asked me what I thought of those giant wide-screen video screens they have at concerts(Like I said, it was the 80's!). The crowd stared....disbelieving that Phil Everly showed up at their favorite bar! He was very nice and personal....came up to me a few times over the evening to chat. He along with the band, The Secret (with Wally Bryson) did some jamming before the night was over.
 I didn't realize at the time what a legend The Everly Brothers were. I look back and cherish that  moment!
  • Like 2

In Graham Nash's new book, he speaks with praise about the Everly's and how much they meant to Allan Clarke and him. They had the chance to meet the Everly's when they (A & G) were just youngsters, and he said that the impression they made on him has lasted his whole career. Graham met the brothers again, once with the Hollies (they even asked the Hollies to sing and write some songs for their album "Two Yanks In England"), and again with CS&N. I am sure Graham, like the rest of us, is sadder today.

• Like 2

When I was 12 or so, I babysat for my sisters' friend.  After I put the kids to sleep, thought I would check out

their record collection..All they had was 'The Everly Brothers'. I really had never heard of them, but after that

night..I was hooked forever..I owe those people so much for that nite.

RIP..Phil..you will be missed  :(

• Like 1