"Brand New Year" Free Download

Eric Carmen

So if Marv and I begin at the same time on the same day at two different but equally distant train stations traveling toward say, Ohio.  We are each going at exactly 80 miles per hour toward a destination of equal distance from the starting points.  We each type 60 words per minute and we each attempt one post per minute...awwwww forget it...vodka kicking in now.... ;)

I'd still get my posts in quicker because you'd be taking up your time filling your posts with "winks, hugs and kisses" :)

• Like 3

I am so moved by this song. I don't know where to begin.

I regret that I can't post here too often, since I am a psychotherapist in a small community and need to be careful that I am not identifiable. Although what's so wrong about loving Eric Carmen and his music? Well, I guess a few of my colleagues might diagnose me as obsessive. Hahaha.

In the field of psychiatric/addiction treatment, we tend to focus on illness, disease, disorder, symptoms and problems. But what is also important --and is happening--is a shift towards "positive psychology" as the path for healing.

What I hear in "Brand New Year" is these "positive psychology" principles of emotional resilience, optimism, hope, love, commitment, gratefulness. Not just surviving but thriving. I am reminded of Viktor Frankl's transcendent concept of "tragic optimism" in his book Man's Search for Meaning. And Maya Angelou's inspiring I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

Every day in my work, I get to witness the capacity of the human spirit to persist and to prevail, despite suffering and tragedy. It is a privilege that continues to humble me and to touch my heart, so deeply.

I plan to play "Brand New Year," and hand out copies of the lyrics, when I facilitate a therapy group this Thursday or Friday. Then I'll invite the folks to reflect on their experience of listening to the song, and share any personal meaning for them.

How about that? Eric's song as a music therapy group in a psych program.

Of course, this beautiful song--and all of his music--have always been good therapy for our souls, ay?

• Like 5

I apologize for being late to the congratulatory praises.  I was in the UK for Christmas, and that was "Christmas" enough and was not expecting any presents.  Any surprises.  Any thing.  And, much to my delight I was wrong.  Thank you for a wonderful song, the background story so well told, and for bringing the surprise and joy to a windy Christmas day. I was grinning from ear to ear like a 9 year old.  And it felt wonderful!!

• Like 5

BNY is truly an amazing song. Eric has succeeded (again) in composing a song that touches the listener in a special way. You should be extremely proud of yourself, Eric. Music is the biggest common denominator that brings people together, and very few songwriters can do it successfully.

• Like 1

So.... it was my second YouTube video ever. I thought "Hey, why not? YouTube gives it that extra exposure." I don't consider myself artistic, so wasn't easy choosing  photos to use without making it seem super cheesy. I do realize that the lyrics I used contradict what Bernie posted here, but I put it together before seeing the lyrics, using my ear. (It still sounds like he says "we have laid behind us") I'll correct it for the 2015 version :)

• Like 7

So... I think Blackhawk Pat and Marv should hire Eric's girlfriend to promote their music—and I should hire her to promote by books! 

In 11 days, "Brand New Year" has 21,519 listens at Soundcloud. Not bad at all! And there's much more to come. All of that activity (and the activity to come) can only help stir up interest in The Essential Eric Carmen, which I hope will not only satisfy all of his longtime fans who have been waiting, but will reel in all kinds of new appreciative fans....

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=eric%20carmen%20brand%20new%20year

• Like 6

So... I think Blackhawk Pat and Marv should hire Eric's girlfriend to promote their music—and I should hire her to promote by books! 

In 11 days, "Brand New Year" has 21,519 listens at Soundcloud. Not bad at all! And there's much more to come. All of that activity (and the activity to come) can only help stir up interest in The Essential Eric Carmen, which I hope will not only satisfy all of his longtime fans who have been waiting, but will reel in all kinds of new appreciative fans....

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=eric%20carmen%20brand%20new%20year

She's done an amazing job !!! So glad the word continues to spread, and that more and more people are aware of this gorgeous song !    :spin:

• Like 2

I just played the Sound Cloud version a minute ago.  While it was playing my dog got up from napping, walked over to my computer, put his muzzle over the keyboard, listened...and smiled.  Seriously!..

P.S.  As someone said earlier, this should become a New Year´s standard. 

P.P.S. "Brand New Year" also has a romantic element to it, IMHO...that hasn´t been mentioned.   I felt it this last time I listened.

I could see cozying up to the future Mrs. James over this song

(she´d have to pay me for the cozying privilege of course)..  

:-)

• Like 2

Dear c-girl,

And James thought his dog was the only pet that appreciates music. We know Kirks's dog is a music critic as well :)

Regarding the comment by James (just being a typical male) I will not comment either. In some situations, the less said the better.

redd

• Like 1

I just played the Sound Cloud version a minute ago.  While it was playing my dog got up from napping, walked over to my computer, put his muzzle over the keyboard, listened...and smiled.  Seriously!..

P.S.  As someone said earlier, this should become a New Year´s standard. 

P.P.S. "Brand New Year" also has a romantic element to it, IMHO...that hasn´t been mentioned.   I felt it this last time I listened.

I could see cozying up to the future Mrs. James over this song

(she´d have to pay me for the cozying privilege of course)..  

:-)

PSSSST James, Maybe Redd and Cayennegirl will not comment but where I'm from, paying to 'cozy up' can be illegal; depending on how you are 'cozying' of course.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...