"I Think I Found Myself"

marvin

I was just listening to this tune this morning, and was reminded about how incredible those background vocals/harmonies are, and that majestic bridge. The liner notes say that the vocals were arranged by Bruce Johnston, but I was wondering how much you had to do with the arrangement, Eric. Thanks.

• Like 3

I introduced my college roommate to Eric Carmen music freshman year, Fall 1977.  He immediately fell in love with the "Boats..." album which was brand new at the time.  ....And "I Think I Found Myself" became his theme song. 

He was trying to get in West Point and had been denied post high school.  He was studying at TCU (my school) for the purpose of making himself more eligible for West Point. He was an underdog type, but very driven toward his West Point dream.   And "I Think I Found Myself" became his "motivator" song.  It would pump him up every time he listened to it.  He LOVED it.

I've always loved the song too, but reading Marvin's post makes me appreciate that great bridge even more. 

James

• Like 3

Good post --- we've had some great discussions of this song in the past, and it's always fun to revisit it. "It's been a long time comin' but I think I've got it figured out..." Yep, a very inspirational song, and one of those "buried treasures" of pop music that most people will never hear. Eric, did you ever have this on your live set list in the '70s?