Go All The Way

Eric Carmen

On 10/17/2013 at 10:00 PM, James said:

..and to think "Go All The Way" was never played in Columbus (OH) on radio back in its day.  I never heard the song until

I got hooked on Eric Carmen/Raspberries and bought up all the Raspberries albums in 1976.  

Probably a censor thing for theme, though I would disagree with that decision by the radio stations if that were the reason.  I¨d have thought that Columbus radio stations would have been proud as heck of our fellow Ohioans making good.

I did not realize that "Go all the Way" was not played in Columbus so I must have heard it on the Springfield radio station because I remember hearing it on the radio and my mother not letting me buy it because it was "inappropriate" for a 14 year old girl. (Having 'the dirt' on two older brothers took care of that, one of them bought it for me and I played it in their room so she would not know that I had it.) I thought that the powers that be at WNCI (Columbus) ran a Cleveland station as well, was it banned on that station too?

"GATW" especially for the time it was written, was an avant garde musical piece of chocolate cake expressing the joys of intimacy.  Having said that,

I can understand why the song had an explicit rating for those under a certain age. 

These days though, anything goes as far as sexual-related themes and wording.  I'm not even talking about songs like "Blurred Lines" which I find amusing myself (and it's geat to listen to while exercising :rolleyes:).  Otherwise, some words to current songs are very degrading and do get on the radio.     

• Like 1

Those numbers are impressive, congratulations!

It always makes me smile when I hear GATW on the radio and it seems to happen frequently.

I travel quite a bit due to work and absolutely love listening to good music while I drive (who doesn't right?). I carry a selection of music with me but enjoy seeking out local stations to mix things up.

I have a very vivid memory of being in Minnesota this past summer on a very sunny day, clear highway, windows down, radio tuned into an oldies or classic rock station and singing along loudly and then...GATW came on the radio.

It was perfection.

Linda
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2013 at 9:24 PM, ~Linda~ said:

Those numbers are impressive, congratulations!

It always makes me smile when I hear GATW on the radio and it seems to happen frequently.

I travel quite a bit due to work and absolutely love listening to good music while I drive (who doesn't right?). I carry a selection of music with me but enjoy seeking out local stations to mix things up.

I have a very vivid memory of being in Minnesota this past summer on a very sunny day, clear highway, windows down, radio tuned into an oldies or classic rock station and singing along loudly and then...GATW came on the radio.

It was perfection.

I had one of those days this past summer, I was at a stop light with a bunch of kids sitting in a car next to me, GATW cranked, they thought I was nuts.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"GO ALL THE WAY".... :)  I have told this story before...I was just a young teen when this song came out, I was listening to it in my room and my Dad happened to catch the chorus...He stopped dead in his tracks and asked me if I knew what they were singing about..I answered him.."yeah Dad..they are talking about sex..you know..going all the way"...I though he was going to die :P ..He walked over to my record player, grabbed the 45 and broke it in half :o

Next day I walked up to Ben Franklin's(Store) and bought myself another copy :P from that time on, I only listened to it with headphones on :)

Geese..parents 

• Like 3

My mother would not let me buy it because it was "inappropriate" for a 14 year old girl so I had an older brother buy it for me and played it in the back bedroom upstairs so she would not know I had it. At the time I thought she was being ridiculous but I remember using a hammer on a cassette tape of my daughter's that was rather nasty.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2013 at 0:02 AM, Eric Carmen said:

One of the funniest things I have seen , in recent days, is Raspberries albums stamped with  the "Explicit" parental rating. What a riot!

I am from Utah and was living there when the song hit the airwaves. They played it though. I was in college and everyone loved it, except everyone's parents. One thing I always thought, and still do, was that it was really and truly the music that grabbed our attention first. That melody still goes straight through me. I actually think that you could have put any lyrics to it and it would have been a hit. By 1974, I was a DJ and still giving it airplay. As such, I got to read more about Eric Carmen in BillBoard Magazine (which the common folk did not have access to). In learning of Carmen's prodigious understanding of music, I thought to myself, "Yup, I knew I was right about the music being REALLY well written." 

Regarding the lyrics, however, while listening to songs only on the radio, it was hard to catch certain words and phrases. Hearing it with the advantage of video on YouTube, I REALLY heard ALL the words. The lyrics were very cleverly put together. The first phrase of a story teller/singer saying, "I never knew how complete love could be / Till she kissed me and said,..." The fact that he is not the one begging girls to "go all the way" puts an entirely different spin on the meaning. It is a story of how love changed this person. That theme is more fully explained by the third verse, "Before her love I was cruel and mean, / I had a hole in the place where my heart should have been. / But now I've changed,..." So, all the parents that thought this was a terrible message should have sat down and really listened to the real story. Very well done. . . ALL THE WAY!!!

[btw, do the young people still recognize the phrase "go all the way"?? Wasn't it mostly my generation??]

• Like 2