Eric's Voice

Mary Ellen

I've always been a Raspberries' rock fan and have always loved E's voice since I first heard him sing in Cyrus Erie.  But today I listened to a cd with "All By Myself" on it and was again floored by the absolute intimacy of his voice.  I think it's a tenor or maybe a trans-tenor, though I'm not sure.  In any case, it stuck me as being so pure and tender while also being so masculine and full of his own personality and nuance.  I believe in comparison, E's voice is possibly even better than Paul McC's.  I've read articles over the years which have said EC's voice is one of the best in Pop music, and I certainly would agree. 

Music today seems to be so artificially manipulated in a way it never was in the past, and to me at least so many people who cannot sing a note are on the airwaves polluting and assaulting our senses with over-processed sounds.  Unfortunately, I never feel any kind of connection or emotional experience with most music these days. 

Where's Brian Wilson with lyrics like "God Only Knows" when you need them? 

Guess I'll just have to go listen to more EC :heartpump:...

• Like 1

I've always been a Raspberries' rock fan and have always loved E's voice since I first heard him sing in Cyrus Erie.  But today I listened to a cd with "All By Myself" on it and was again floored by the absolute intimacy of his voice.  I think it's a tenor or maybe a trans-tenor, though I'm not sure.  In any case, it stuck me as being so pure and tender while also being so masculine and full of his own personality and nuance.  I believe in comparison, E's voice is possibly even better than Paul McC's.  I've read articles over the years which have said EC's voice is one of the best in Pop music, and I certainly would agree. 

Music today seems to be so artificially manipulated in a way it never was in the past, and to me at least so many people who cannot sing a note are on the airwaves polluting and assaulting our senses with over-processed sounds.  Unfortunately, I never feel any kind of connection or emotional experience with most music these days. 

Where's Brian Wilson with lyrics like "God Only Knows" when you need them? 

Guess I'll just have to go listen to more EC :heartpump:...

I believe it was Tony Asher who wrote the lyrics to "God Only Knows", and not Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks Marvin, but I'm reasonably sure Brian sang (or maybe it was actually Carl) and that's what I remember - the emotion.  It's one of my favorite songs.

I think Brian probably came up with the title, and Asher filled in the lyrics. Carl was the lead vocalist on the tune.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Carl Wilson sang ' God Only Knows." Paul has said he thinks it's "the best pop song every written." I would give my vote to "Somewhere" from "West Side Story" for that honor, but "God Only Knows" would be in my

top ten. The and was incredible last Sunday. Jeff Foskett is, without a doubt, the best falsetto in music, today. Darian Sahanaja sang "Darlin;" and sounded more like Carl Wilson than Carl did. Mike D'Amico, the drummer of the Wondermints was spectacular, as was Nicky Wonder on guitar. Overall, I'd have to say they're my "dream band," and the nicest guys in the universe, as well as being brilliant musicians, and singers. They opened the show with "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring." It was perfect. I rest my case.

Joe Vitale ( Barnstorm w/ Joe Walsh, Crosby Stills and Nash's drummer) was sitting right behind me at the show. About five songs in, I turned to him and said "How spot on is Mike d'Amico?" His response, "Fucking incredible."

e

• Like 4

Wondermints have been in and out of my consciousness for awhile now. I first became aware of Wondermints because of Patrick Beckers (remember him, Eric?). I really like their sound. Then, during one of the Raspberries reunion concerts at HOB Hollywood, I went upstairs and ran into Darian sitting at a table overlooking the balcony!  Oh yeah, another time when Patrick was visiting L.A., Darian took Patrick on a sight-seeing tour of West. L.A.   Small world...

• Like 1

Eric,

I'm so glad you posted because it always makes my day.  :)   Happy to hear you had such a great time with your pals and heard that amazing music.

I would have  to put "GATW" and "GOK" as my two top pop songs, and thanks for the update on Carl singing "GOK" which I thought was the case. 

"Somehwere" is a piece so full of sweet emotion and hope, and is in my top 10 songs ever, but I hadn't thought of it as a true pop song before, probably because it has overtones of Beethoven via Bernstein, but of course it is as you say.

You're the man, baby!!

(p.s. as per my original post, your voice is still the sweetest...in addition to yourself of course... :heartpump:)

• Like 2

I'll have to agree with Sir Paul about "God Only Knows". I think Carl's voice is hauntingly beautiful. It's a magnificent pop song, even though I think that "Your Song" has to be the top Pop song of all time.

I'm not sure how "Somewhere" would even qualify as a "pop" song, so I give it a miss. Then again, I'm not much on musicals. But, I do have some trivia that my friend (who loves musicals and she will break into a song at the drop of the hat) told me. Andrew Gold's mother did the voice over for Natalie Wood for the film version of West Side Story, even though she thought she'd actually be doing the singing, she didn't know that she'd be dubbed until the shoot was over. I'm guessing that was a bad day for her. It would have been for me!

• Like 2

Cool piece of information, Stacy.

RE: My favorite pop song,......it changes every day.  :-)  

Today it is "Edelweiss", Richard Rogers - a perfect melody that needs no production.  In fact production probably dilutes the genius of this melody and the greatness of this song, IMHO.  

James

• Like 1

Stacy,

I read the information about Natalie's voice being dubbed over but thanks for sharing again because I didn't know it was Andrew Gold's mother singing.

James,

Edelweiss...I sang it on stage when I was 14 in Junior High...not bad though.  :)  

Leon Russell singing "A Song For You" would also be in my top 10.

"Somewhere" is definitely a special song! :heartpump:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking through RS today and found an article from a while back I hadn't seen by David Fricke.  In essence, Mr. Fricke described the Rs' music as rock candy, "hard and sweet." 

More importantly to me, he described E's voice as "mod-angel."  Wow!!  Perfect! :)  

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of singers in pop/rock that have great voices(Steve Perry,Brad Delp,Freddie Mercury to name a few).And there are several who are great at conveying the emotion of the lyrics(Springsteen,Dylan,Petty and others).But Eric is one of a select few that excel at both.Maybe the aforementioned Sir Paul and the Wilsons. Possibly  Burton Cummings.

• Like 3

Carl Wilson sang ' God Only Knows." Paul has said he thinks it's "the best pop song every written." I would give my vote to "Somewhere" from "West Side Story" for that honor, but "God Only Knows" would be in my

top ten. The and was incredible last Sunday. Jeff Foskett is, without a doubt, the best falsetto in music, today. Darian Sahanaja sang "Darlin;" and sounded more like Carl Wilson than Carl did. Mike D'Amico, the drummer of the Wondermints was spectacular, as was Nicky Wonder on guitar. Overall, I'd have to say they're my "dream band," and the nicest guys in the universe, as well as being brilliant musicians, and singers. They opened the show with "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring." It was perfect. I rest my case.

Joe Vitale ( Barnstorm w/ Joe Walsh, Crosby Stills and Nash's drummer) was sitting right behind me at the show. About five songs in, I turned to him and said "How spot on is Mike d'Amico?" His response, "Fucking incredible."

e

By the way, it just so happens that on August 11th, 1949, my birthday, by some odd quirk of fate, "Some Enchanted Evening" was the number one song on the Billboard Hot 100. I've always thought it quite a coincidence that it's my favorite pop song ever. Of all the songs in the world that I could have chosen, the one I single out as perhaps the best pop song of all time just happened to be number one on the day I was born. Too weird!

ec

Eric- It's always hard for me to pick a favorite song or album of yours...At times I've picked "Starting Over" as my favorite song of yours (today being one of those times), other times, it's been "Overnight Sensation".  Favorite album...Usually it's "Starting Over", but I've given the nod to "Tonight You're Mine", also.  So, it's interesting to see that you recently picked a different 'favorite pop song ("Somewhere") over another pick of yours ("Some Enchanted Evening") from the not-so-distant past.  Similarities?  Differences?  What resonates with you about these two great songs?  I love them both!  

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of singers in pop/rock that have great voices(Steve Perry,Brad Delp,Freddie Mercury to name a few).And there are several who are great at conveying the emotion of the lyrics(Springsteen,Dylan,Petty and others).But Eric is one of a select few that excel at both.Maybe the aforementioned Sir Paul and the Wilsons. Possibly Burton Cummings.