CMT Crossroads-Stevie Nicks

AshleyCrawford

I just saw that Stevie Nicks will be appearing on "CMT Crossroads" with Lady Antebellum on September 13th at 10eastern/9central.I am looking forward to seeing the show and have enjoyed past episodes,although I am not a big fan of country music.In the past I have seen Pat Benatar with Martina McBride,Heart with Wynonna Judd,John Mellencamp with Kenny Chesney,Bon Jovi with Sugarland and Lindsey Buckingham with Little Big Town among others.I was wondering if others enjoy this series or if you don't like it when rock and country meet,just curious.Personally I love seeing the rock acts but not so much hearing the country singers trying to rock,interested in others opinions.

• Like 1

Hi Girl,

You know I love me some Stevie, so I'll jump right in here Ashley.  Other than rock music, I actually lean toward enjoying classical or classic jazz music like Coltrane, but I'll go a little out of my knowledge zone here.  I tend to think of country/rock as music with more acoustic/or maybe pedal steel guitar.

I generally want to separate rock and country, though I certainly don't feel so strongly as Tom Petty who said "country is bad rock with a fiddle" or something like that.  I  can immediately think of several classic and fantastic rock/country songs:

EC and Louise Mandrell's "Maybe My Baby"

Stevie's "Landslide" by the Dixie Chicks (or by Stevie, though I never thought of the song as "country" until the DC's did it - either way, I love the song)

Older classics:

The Byrds "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and "Time Between"

Buffalo Springfield: " "Broken Arrow"

Dylan: "Lay Lady Lay"

My absolute favorites:

The Eagles: "Desperado" "Take it Easy" & "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

Crosby, Stills & Nash: "Teach Your Children Well"

The Band "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - or really anything by The Band

Neil Young "Cowgirl In the Sand" and "Heart of Gold"

I am definitely not feeling country singers trying to rock though.  However, maybe I like more country/rock than I initially believed I did. :)

• Like 1

Hi Girl,

You know I love me some Stevie, so I'll jump right in here Ashley.  Other than rock music, I actually lean toward enjoying classical or classic jazz music like Coltrane, but I'll go a little out of my knowledge zone here.  I tend to think of country/rock as music with more acoustic/or maybe pedal steel guitar.

I generally want to separate rock and country, though I certainly don't feel so strongly as Tom Petty who said "country is bad rock with a fiddle" or something like that.  I  can immediately think of several classic and fantastic rock/country songs:

EC and Louise Mandrell's "Maybe My Baby"

Stevie's "Landslide" by the Dixie Chicks (or by Stevie, though I never thought of the song as "country" until the DC's did it - either way, I love the song)

Older classics:

The Byrds "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" and "Time Between"

Buffalo Springfield: " "Broken Arrow"

Dylan: "Lay Lady Lay"

My absolute favorites:

The Eagles: "Desperado" "Take it Easy" & "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

Crosby, Stills & Nash: "Teach Your Children Well"

The Band "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - or really anything by The Band

Neil Young "Cowgirl In the Sand" and "Heart of Gold"

I am definitely not feeling country singers trying to rock though.  However, maybe I like more country/rock than I initially believed I did. :)

Maybe it works better when rock has a little country in it,instead of when country has rock in it.There are a lot of great rock artist with some country roots but modern country seems to me to be trying to imitate rock music,badly.Take last week at the CMA Music Festival special on ABC.Carrie Underwood was singing "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses,I mean seriously does she think she is going to pull that song off as well as Axl Rose,in the past she also did "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue.I forgot that through Louise Mandrell doing a version of "Maybe My Baby" plus their duet of "As Long As We've Got Each Other" that this topic could also include a discussion about Eric and country music.The one difference is I actually liked Louise Mandrell,I had watched her on Barbara Mandrell and The Mandrell Sisters show in the early 80's when I was a kid and she was actually my favorite of the sisters even before her affiliation with Eric.I never felt like she was being fake,I get that fakeness when I watch some of the country artist today.

Ashley,

I agree with your rock-with-a-little-country idea.  I think maybe Tom Petty was thinking of Carrie Underwood (trying) to pull off "Paradise City" (R-E-A-L-L-Y?) when he made that comment I mentioned in my earlier post...plus any MC song...glad I missed that performance.  The woman has a great voice, but I think it's wasted on those songs.

Of course I had to mention Eric's "Maybe My Baby" :).  "MMB" has a more country feel to me than "As Long As We've Got Each Other"  which is a great song and such sweet duet with those two.  I also believe Louise is the better singer/performer of the Mandrell sisters. 

I'm not sure about being fake, but what I've heard over the last few years of the country/rock music mix hasn't been anything which makes me want to pay special attention and listen, but then I haven't been looking too hard for that music either. 

Ashley,

I agree with your rock-with-a-little-country idea.  I think maybe Tom Petty was thinking of Carrie Underwood (trying) to pull off "Paradise City" (R-E-A-L-L-Y?) when he made that comment I mentioned in my earlier post...plus any MC song...glad I missed that performance.  The woman has a great voice, but I think it's wasted on those songs.

Of course I had to mention Eric's "Maybe My Baby" :).  "MMB" has a more country feel to me than "As Long As We've Got Each Other"  which is a great song and such sweet duet with those two.  I also believe Louise is the better singer/performer of the Mandrell sisters. 

I'm not sure about being fake, but what I've heard over the last few years of the country/rock music mix hasn't been anything which makes me want to pay special attention and listen, but then I haven't been looking too hard for that music either. 

Yes,that is what I meant.When I said fakeness I didn't mean as people or as artist,I meant that someone like Carrie's voice is better suited for other types of songs with other types of lyrics.

• Like 1