Late Appreciation For Sunset Strip

James

I listened to the live album in its entirety driving from Columbus to Chicago this past Sunday.  I'd listened to it many times but this time really got into it.  You did a great job putting this thing together.

Many of the songs sound better on this album than they even did on their original studio recordings.  That's pretty amazing given that (IMHO) that's hard to do for a tight, melodious power pop type sounding band.  Many metal bands sound better live, but not so many bands with a sound like the Raspberries.

It also hit me while listening (and this is a a tribute to your genius) that so many great songs you guys did didn't make the cut for the live album. Songs like "Cruisin Music", "Starting "Over", "Waiting", "On The Beach"....these songs would be in the top 3 for 98% of the bands out there but didn't even make the top 15 for The Raspberries.  Again a tribute to your song-writing genius.

Anyway, thanks for the live album, and thanks for the music!..

James

• Like 1

James, Live On Sunset Strip continues to blow my mind to this day- for a lot of the reasons you stated and many more.  Just the fact that it was a 'one-take' album is an indication of just how tight these guys are after all this time.  Many live albums pull cuts from several different performances to make the finished product the best it can be.  It's amazing that this album represents just one night's work!  Oh sure, it was tweaked a little here and there by Eric and Mark , but those of us who attended the concerts can vouch for the live performances. 

"Starting Over" was played at the HOB in Hollywood, but didn't make the cut, which was my only disappointment.  I believe there was a feedback issue or something similar that prevented it from being on the album.  "Cruisin' Music" was on at least one medley of 'beach songs' in Cleveland- that would have been fun to have, also.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! Yesterday's post must have brought luck, was thrilled to find the Sunset Strip CD in my mailbox. Never had the pleasure of seeing the Raspberries live so this is super cool :cool: Have listened to it repeatedly, mostly while driving. Had to get a bit used to the slightly slower, more relaxed version of the songs. Seems the original recordings had that quick paced almost frantic sound, that I grew up loving. Am proud to be loyal to this band & am looking forward to collecting all EC & Berry CDs. Still fondly remember rockin' out to their music on vinyl as a teenybopper...