Mccartney Last Night-What A Setlist!

Lew Bundles

It´s a pretty great set list for my taste.  I´m glad to see "Junior´s Farm" and "Helter Skelter" both in there.  I love when Paul and his band rock.  2 glaring omissions for me were "Beware My Love" and "Venus & Mars/Rock Show".

Did you go Lew?

James

My wallet is glad to see this stylist. I saw Paul twice in the last couple of years and was planning to go this time as well. But that was because it was rumored that he was going to open with Venus and Mars/ Rock Show, which was how he opened when I first saw him in 1976.

So, boo. But, yay!

Bernie

The Canal is easily passable via a modern highway/bridge.., you can drive from anywhere in the U.S. to Panamá....but there is open country between Panamá and South America that I believe is not passable by car.  I don´t have a car down here but may buy one soon and will likely want to drive into South America and therefore will be testing this a little more diligently.  It´s likely they have a car ferry that can take you around the rough undeveloped area of eastern Panamá and into South America.  But that is just a guess.

P.S. I´ve seen and posted video of the 1976 tour where they opened with "Venus and Mars", "Rock Show, and "Jet"....I´ve seen some great openers...this one is up there with the best, if not the best.

James

• Like 1

I saw that tour back in 1976 in Philly...It was a great opener/show...In those days, I think it was easier to get tickets to venues further away from your home than closer to it...

I live in Ct. and it was easier to get tickets for Philly rather than NYC...I dont think that Ticketron(nee Ticketmaster) outlets were unified with one system...I think for instance, that each individual outlet had a certain amount of tickets for different venues...Now, all the outlets have a centralized computer system...

If, while living in Ct. and want to go to a show in San Diego, the tickets all come out of the same pool...

Back in '76, I couldnt get tickets for Madison Square Garden but a friend of mine said that there were  tickets at the local Ticketron for the Philly shows...They were probably alloted a certain  number for Philly and hadnt used up their allotment...

I tried to get tix last week for his Brooklyn shows and the minute they went on sale to the general public, it was sold out...Everything went out in "presale"...Of course, Stubhub has about 2,000 pairs available...Not a fair system at all...

I have tickets to see Paul McCartney at one of his shows in Tulsa in 3 weeks, and can't wait!  But if he keeps this very same setlist from Brazil, I will be at least a little disappointed.  I just don't get it.  How could how Paul do off-the-wall songs like, "Let Me Roll It," "Hope of Deliverance," and "All Together Now," while totally overlooking his huge #1 smash hits like "Silly Love Songs," "Coming Up," "With a Little Luck", and "My Love"?  I can understand him not doing his big duet hits he did with Michael Jackson, and "Ebony & Ivory" since Stevie Wonder won't be there to sing with him.  There's also no way he could do more than just a handful of Beatles hits, and whichever ones he chooses of those will be great.  But I will be missing most of his solo hits and Wings songs that his fans have a right to expect to hear, big top 10 hits like "Jet," "Goodnight Tonight," "Uncle Albert," "Let 'Em In," "Take It Away," and "No More Lonely Nights."  Sometimes just a medley to at least give their other big hits a nod is enough to pacify miffed fans whose favorites got overlooked at shows.

Elton John did the same thing to me last month in Memphis.  He sang a series of obscure album tracks that I had never even heard of, while ignoring some of his biggest US #1 hits, "Island Girl," "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," and "Something About the Way You Look Tonight."

Not sure about Paul, but Elton John´s best music were his deep album cuts. His hits were great also, but the album cuts were where his greatest genius could be found. 

I´d say a majority of Elton fans love him for his albums first, hits second.  Though I could definately be wrong on that last point, Les.

Point being, I don´t think Elton lets anyone down by replacing his commercial hits with album cuts.

IMHO,

James

P.S.  I agree re: what you said about Paul.  I´d rather see the songs you mentioned than a song like "Let Me Roll It".  Though the song I most would have wanted to see (and not on the playlist) was "Beware My Love"...a somewhat obscure rocker from the "At The Speed Of Sound" album. I loved that "1985" was in the playlist.  Great song, perfect for a live performance.