Bucket List Night

Raspbernie

Last night, I had the rare opportunity to see a performance from one of my  favorite songwriters: Mr. Paul Williams. Paul performed a set of his brilliant songs at New York City's famed Café Carlyle to a packed house. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have been interested in seeing Paul perform for half of my life. Periodically, I'd check to see if he was making any personal appearances in the New York area, but have never seen a single show listed...EVER. Paul usually appears at benefits and ASCAP functions (of which he is the President and Chairman of the Board). So, imagine my excitement when I saw that he was performing within an hour's drive of my house. Needless to say, I was there last night, as was Paul, and his magnificent songs: "Rainy Days and Mondays," "We've Only Just Begun," "You and Me Against the World," "An Old Fashioned Love Song," "I Won't Last a Day Without You", and one of my personal Top 10 songs, "The Rainbow Connection." He sang them all, and more. What a night! What an extraordinary opportunity!

I was like a kid on Christmas morning. And as everyone who knows me already knows, I'm a sucker for a ballad.

Thank you, Paul.

Bernie

• Like 3

Last night, I had the rare opportunity to see a performance from one of my  favorite songwriters: Mr. Paul Williams. Paul performed a set of his brilliant songs at New York City's famed Café Carlyle to a packed house. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have been interested in seeing Paul perform for half of my life. Periodically, I'd check to see if he was making any personal appearances in the New York area, but have never seen a single show listed...EVER. Paul usually appears at benefits and ASCAP functions (of which he is the President and Chairman of the Board). So, imagine my excitement when I saw that he was performing within an hour's drive of my house. Needless to say, I was there last night, as was Paul, and his magnificent songs: "Rainy Days and Mondays," "We've Only Just Begun," "You and Me Against the World," "An Old Fashioned Love Song," "I Won't Last a Day Without You", and one of my personal Top 10 songs, "The Rainbow Connection." He sang them all, and more. What a night! What an extraordinary opportunity!

I was like a kid on Christmas morning. And as everyone who knows me already knows, I'm a sucker for a ballad.

Thank you, Paul.

Bernie

"Seating up to 70 for dinner and 90 for a performance, the supper club offers a unique intimate space"

I wish Eric would do something like this in Cleveland. An intimate setting, Eric and his ballads...it'd sure make my bucket list...

I too love the guy.  I´m a sucker for a guy/girl who writes music, especially great music (see Paul Williams).

I love what he wrote for the Carpenters and the other stuff.  And "The Rainbow Connection" is in my top 10 (probably top 5) songs of alltime.  That little song is what music is all about.  It´s hard to listen to it closely without finding a tear in your eye.

Paul Williams always has seemed like a class act.

Sounds like a great night Bernie!..

James

Bernie, how great that you got to see Paul perform!  I saw him open for the Carpenters in the early 70's before they put the lid on the Universal Amphitheatre (soon to be no more).  He is a great entertainer.  Funny, too.  One of the things he said that cracked me up was that he finished third in a Haley Mills look-alike contest :haha:

I wonder if my friend and neighbor from West L.A. is still his conductor and arranger?  This was over 30 years ago...Chris Caswell is his name.

Yes, Chris was there at the piano.

Bernie

Wow!!  Can't believe they're still together!  Chris and his (then) wife lived right across the street from me in Westchester in the 70's.  He and Paul had not yet connected at this time- that would be a few years later.  When 'Boats' first came out, I took the album over and played it for Chris.  After listening to the entire album, Chris proclaimed the first song and hit would be "She Did It".  He was right!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope he writes a book, one day.

That chorus part sounds great for a car commercial.

-[When your someday is now, you can choose the new ....and drive to your own sounds. Just like Paul (Williams) ]

Then he drives off, with his song cranked up, singing.

Or second scenario: Eric sees Paul, who brings his wife and a guest.

Paul says, "Do you need a band?"

Eric recognizes Paul's  guest, too.

Eric then says, 'Three piano players?'

Paul says, 'Richard's going to check out the show, at the Hall'.  (The musician Richard Carpenter).

Richard: 'Good thing you play guitar, Eric.'

Paul: Don't worry, I have the rest of the band.

Then he says, 'Play on!'

Or, the car rolls up on stage, Eric already playing the song on piano.

Paul gets out singing his song....[Changing a word here]

-As for  me, I will always believe

I was born a someday man,...