How does Dagwood keep his job....

ira

Ira - According to the Republicans, Dagwood is a public servant of some sort....who cannot be fired, in spite of being incompetent, fraudulent, wasteful, abusive, etc. (Hence, he keeps his job....but don't worry, he'll get no pay raises for the next 75 years!)

(On the other hand, it's also possible that he's not a public servant, but Blondie's doing Dithers on the side, unbeknownst to Dagwood!)

I'm tellin' ya...this strip has been goin' on for decades...and STILL...It makes millions laugh...Dagwood..Dithers..the car pool....Elmo....his neighbor Herb...

Maybe ALL of us guys would like to eat.....nap on the couch....%$#* (kiss wink ) Blondie.....do as little as possible at work...and still keep our jobs..

Don't sound too bad to me.

Gotta love Blondie... one of my favorites: She comes home with arms loaded with shopping bags... "Honey! Guess What? I found a sale today and I saved more money than you'll make this year!" shocked

Having just read through the "Blondie" story given by the website, I propose that Dagwood still has a job because, unbeknownst to him, Mr. Dithers and the Dithers Company are subsidiaries of Dag's fathers empire, and though disowned, dear old Dad can't stand the thought of his imcompetent heir being on the streets, so he has set up the Dithers group as nothing more than a method to discreetly channel funds to his miscreant son... laugh

Paulie...plain and simple...this strip has progressed (INTENTIONALLY)...ONLY a wee bit...

References to technology...the NFL...and..Blondie's career... (She is now either a caterer or an event planner)...keep the strip current..

But basically it's vision of post-depression suburban America hasn't changed ONE iota...

It has made me laugh for decades...

Just like "The Honeymooners"..."The Dick Van Dyke Show"...and for a MERE 40 or so years....the many incarnations of "Family Feud"..

....Blondie has proven to be a sources of mirth to me thru MANY changes and unfortunately..MANY mediocre relationships..

(BTW...IMHO...current host Steve Harvey has energized "Family Feud" and has taken it to heights only previously scaled only by the late..great Richard Dawson.)

True enough... Only a few strips survive to this day that I enjoyed in my youth as well... Blondie and Dennis the Menace... otherwise, they have a season and then are gone...

Regarding Dawson... my God... he was so important to both Feud and Match Game back in the day... LOL Much like the late Paul Lynde in the "center square", the glue that kept it all together... laugh

If you haven't checked out "Blondie's'" history and info on authors of this iconic strip....go back to my second post on pg. 1 of this thread and click on the highlighted Blondie site that I showed and read the backstory..."Veddy Interesting"!