In Hindsight: 1980's Tonight You're Mine

LC

This was a welcome release back in 1980, although it peaked at No. 160 on Billboard's album chart. It was nice to hear Eric do more guitar and rock 'n' roll songs than on Change of Heart; I'd frequently call in requests for "Lost in the Shuffle" and "It Hurts Too Much" to my college radio station. Also, I remember reviewing this LP for a local newspaper (a rave review, of course) where I was serving as an intern. My editor wouldn't let me run the album cover — too risque. So I had to use the reverse side....

Anyway, here's how I'd rank the lineup three decades later....

1. It Hurts Too Much: Great choice for a single --- a power-pop number that got some nice airplay in the region where I lived, even if it wasn't a "monster hit."

2. Fooling Myself: Ah, a nice, sweeping ballad as only Eric can do. I always heard it as a kind of thematic follow-up to "All By Myself."

3. Lost in the Shuffle: This doesn't seem like it's one of Eric's most popular songs at this site — I never see it get mentioned in posts — but I love it. We didn't hear Eric reflect much of what was happening in "the real world," but this touches all kinds of bases, and sounds very Chuck Berry.

4. You Need Some Lovin': Eric's rockers on this album, especially this one and "Tonight You're Mine," have almost a sinister touch, for lack of a better word. I love it. You got the feeling (even with not a whole lot of press to tell us back then) that he was pushing back on Clive Davis' desire to turn him into Barry Manilow II and an AOR giant.

5. Tonight You're Mine: Ditto... and bagpipes, too!

6. The Inside Story: Ditto again... This one, judging from videos we've seen from Japan, made a top-of-the-line concert number back in the day.

7. All for Love: Nice enough ballad, though a step below "Foolin' Myself."

8. Sleep WIth Me: Not my favorite Eric ballad, but I know it's got plenty of fans here, especially among the romantic young women.... :-)

Funny, I love "Sleep With Me". When the album first came out it was hands down my favorite tune from it. And I still love the song. It surprises me so many here don´t like it so much.

RE: "Lost In The Shuffle" - it´s good, has interesting lyrics but is not a great song, IMHO. I think it´s because, though it has the "rock", it lacks the "roll", or something like that. It´s more forced than most of Eric Carmen´s songs.

Whereas "Inside Story" rocks AND rolls...(and has a great melody to boot!)

I think "Foolin Myself" is probably the best song from the album, but this album is full of great songs.

A really great album.

It´s funny too, I know what you are saying Marvin, but I don´t consider his solo albums laid back. They may be more ballad oriented, but IMHO they are more intense in their own way than the Raspberries albums.

The Raspberry catalog has nothing as intense as the song "Boats Against The Current" though that may be one you would classify as laid back. And then there is, "Everything", "I Think I Found Myself", "Runaway", "The Way We Used To Be", "Desperate Fools" and "All By Myself"...and more - these are INTENSE songs, not laid back at all, IMHO.

And the last minute or 2 of "No Hard Feelings" out rocks (by a mile) anything the Raspberries did.

Funny, I love "Sleep With Me". When the album first came out it was hands down my favorite tune from it. And I still love the song. It surprises me so many here don´t like it so much.

RE: "Lost In The Shuffle" - it´s good, has interesting lyrics but is not a great song, IMHO. I think it´s because, though it has the "rock", it lacks the "roll", or something like that. It´s more forced than most of Eric Carmen´s songs.

I think "Foolin Myself" is probably the best song from the album, but this album is full of great songs.

A really great album.

I got a lot of mileage out of the lyrics to "Lost In The Shuffle" in some of the discussions with Eric regarding politics and conspiracy theories...fun stuff!

A really great album.

I hear you, James. Not sure why I don't personally push "Sleep With Me" higher. It's really a good song. Maybe, lyrically, I like things that are more "artistic" songs (or "brain" songs, like Eric would say), as opposed to more direct, which is probably why, for example, I prefer "Boats Against the Current" to "All By Myself." The former, you have to think about; the latter, you know what it's about from the title. All of which is odd, because my career involves making writing more direct and less "around the bush," no pun intended.

Originally Posted By: James

A really great album.

I hear you, James. Not sure why I don't personally push "Sleep With Me" higher. It's really a good song. Maybe, lyrically, I like things that are more "artistic" songs (or "brain" songs, like Eric would say), as opposed to more direct, which is probably why, for example, I prefer "Boats Against the Current" to "All By Myself." The former, you have to think about; the latter, you know what it's about from the title. All of which is odd, because my career involves making writing more direct and less "around the bush," no pun intended.

If Tony was signed on, you could have "gored" him with your comment!

It´s funny too, I know what you are saying Marvin, but I don´t consider his solo albums laid back. They may be more ballad oriented, but IMHO they are more intense in their own way than the Raspberries albums.

The Raspberry catalog has nothing as intense as the song "Boats Against The Current" though that may be one you would classify as laid back. And then there is, "Everything", "I Think I Found Myself", "Runaway", "The Way We Used To Be", "Desperate Fools" and "All By Myself"...and more - these are INTENSE songs, not laid back at all, IMHO.

And the last minute or 2 of "No Hard Feelings" out rocks (by a mile) anything the Raspberries did.

You're right, James. "Laid-back" was not the right choice of words. "Ballad-oriented" is a better description.

Here's my picks for this one:

7,1,2,8,5,6,3,4. Lost In The Shuffle made it out of last place for the first time on my list.

Oops -- just to make it official, I need to do...

KIRK'S INTERPRETATION for Tonight You're Mine:

1. All for Love

2. It Hurts Too Much

3. Fooling Myself

4. Sleep With Me

5. Tonight You're Mine

6. Inside Story

7. Lost in the Shuffle

8. You Need Some Lovin'

Clearly, we all think "It Hurts Too Much" was brilliant, we're split on the title track, and I should give "Sleep with Me" another chance.

Also updated, with my grades. (And revised. I've softened on "All For Love" after spinning the CD again. This time, it's final!)

1. It Hurts Too Much A

2. Fooling Myself A

3. Lost in the Shuffle B+

4. All for Love B+

5. You Need Some Lovin' B

6. Tonight You're Mine: B

7. The Inside Story B-

8. Sleep With Me: B-

As with Boats and Change of Heart, this is a case where there really are no clunkers (klunkers?). Even my bottom-feeders are B quality, in my humble opinion.

While you're here, enjoy this gem again:

"Tonight You're Mine"...oh riiiiight. That album. The one with THAT cover.

Yeah...ah huh. Yep... grin.

OK. I think that's all I have to contribute. Yeppers...damn!

Great thread, LC! Thanks once again for jogging my memory of being 18 years old inside Musicland - Laguna Hills Mall, leaving sweating hand prints on the cover as I leared at this album. Of course I was just going over the songs. Of course.

Oh my. Look what I found in a blog someone posted about this cover.

Maliha write:

Quote:
I'm horrified about this!!! Plus it says on the bottom "tonight you're mine"...subliminals subliminals subliminals... This album cover objectifies, subdues, humiliates, and oppresses women.

UGH! I just hate it when a feminist just can't get with the program.

Yes, yes, Maliha. We women are soooooo oppressed and horrified by this cover. We can’t get jobs, or own property or vote or get free birth control. This cover has ruined it for females around the world. (And I'm sure the model was forced to do this job at no pay mind you and at gun point to boot.) We soooo can't stand to actually have men find us sexual desirable. How dare they be...well...MEN! Thank you for being such a brave spokesman spokesperson for all of us "womyn" whose lives are ruin because of this album cover.

Gosh.

Could she have gotten any more dramatic? Seriously. It was an album cover. I’ve seen a lot more sexually suggestive ones than this. Me thinks Maliha needs to put the album down and walk quietly away from it. But I know she sleeps with it at night. I’m sure of it. wink

1. It Hurts Too Much A-

2. Sleep With Me A-

3. Fooling Myself A-

4. The Inside Story B+

5. Lost In the Shuffle B

6. All For Love B-

7. Tonight You're Mine C-

8. You Need Some Lovin' D+

Was there a second single from this LP? "It Hurts Too Much" only reached #75 Billboard, #83 Cash Box & #71 Record World, so I always wondered if it there might have been another release. "Sleep With Me" would have been a good one.

1. Fooling Myself - A+

2. Inside Story - A+

3. Sleep With Me - A+

4. All For Love - A

5. It Hurts Too Much - A

6. Lost In The Shuffle - B

7. Tonight You´re Mine - C

8. You Need Some Lovin - C-

..though I don´t much like #s 7 and 8, this album on balance is very strong. Up there with the best of my (somewhat vast) CD collection. Strong album.

Cool thread on a cool album.

I remember this one well... still play it on my car system often... and I vacillate between "You Need Some Lovin'" and "It Hurts Too Much" as my top choice... Eric needed something "kick-ass" to get him out of the ballad-rut he had been forced into after All By Myself's success, and these two songs; smartly paired as A and B side of the single; should have been a monster hit... maybe even one of those rare two-sided hit-records... The title cut always seemed more forced to me though the attitude was carrying over from the first single so I was fine with that. The Inside Story has always been a favorite of mine as well... Sleep With Me helped keep EC from totally abandoning the ballad, and the fact that it was released on the country charts helped spread Eric's fame (remember, it was called "STAY With Me" when John Schneider recorded it...)

As for the controversial cover, I remember Eric having been quoted that he was not even there when the girl was photographed... the photogs had him do these funky poses then they morphed in the female model into the cover with him... Sort of always had a "Max Headrom" feel to it, but let's face it... most of us by the record... tape... cd... whatever... for the music, not for the pictures... laugh

One more note, regarding "Lost In The Shuffle"... I was just thinking a couple of days back, when I posted a link to the classic "This Isn't What The Governmeant" by Bread over at Facebook... Most of what Eric was "talking about" in that song, as well as David Gates in his tune... still rings too true today... laugh

Edit: My List. laugh

1. It Hurts Too Much

2. You Need Some Lovin'

3. The Inside Story

4. Sleep With Me

5. Tonight You're Mine

6. Lost In The Shuffle

7. All For Love

8. Foolin' Myself

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My all-time favorite of the EC solo albums. And again, the songs at the bottom of the list are still great songs in their own right, and I will listen to them over and over.

1. It Hurts Too Much

2. All for Love

3. Sleep with Me

4. Lost in the Shuffle (Some of Eric's best "non-love song" lyric!)

5. You Need Some Lovin'

6. The Inside Story

7. Tonight Your Mine (Was a little shocked with that line "Then she put my hand in her pants". But then, he also dropped an F-bomb on a ballad, "Starting Over".)

8. Foolin' Myself

BMP