LC

In Hindsight: 1978's Change of Heart

LC   

After doing that last post, I thought I'd give the same treatment to Change of Heart. Here's the order I'd rank the songs here,

1. Desperate Fools: It seemed like it was meant to be the title track, given that the "Overture" opens the album and the song itself closes the album. Plus, the cover art seems to fit. Regardless, a great number with maybe the only harmonica on an Eric Carmen song (correct me if I'm wrong). I thought it could have been a single, but I guess in the days of disco, maybe it would have been lost out there. Things don't always work out. But what a hidden treasure of a ballad — imagistic, moving, and honest: L.A. wasn't for Eric.

2. Desperate Fools Overture: Well, it's the same song, without lyrics, so how could I rank it any lower? Classical and classic Eric.

3. Hey Deanie: Fun and upbeat rockin' pop number that made a chart splash, thanks to Shaun Cassidy. Eric's original shows off his vocal range, too.

4. Someday: Brian Wilson should have written this.... It's weird to think that "Someday" was a leftover from the Boats sessions, because it's a pretty strong pop song.

5. Heaven Can Wait: Does anyone remember talk that this was destined for the film of the same name (Warren Beatty)? For whatever reason, it got left behind.

6. Haven't We Come a Long Way: Ah, this song still conjures up an image only I would know: My college buddy doing an exaggerated disco dance the first time I played it, right after I had picked up the album at Record Theatre in Rochester, N.Y. He was a huge Billy Joel fan and very proud of his idol for The Stranger. I had high hopes, after Boats stalled on the charts the year before, that Change of Heart would produce a bunch of hits. So I put it on, with my friend Dave in the room; he was unmoved by "Overture," and then he poked fun at this one by bustin' some moves at the hint of disco. So maybe the production reflects the trend of the day; it's still a great pop number.

7. Change of Heart: A nice pop song that Eric brought to TV with a number of performances. It was a thrill to hear it on the radio back in the day, though it's become sort of a "lost hit" of the '70s. I guess if there were a negative, its release as a single seemed to push Eric's image farther away from the rock and power-pop of Raspberries toward the day's "AOR" trend.

8. Baby I Need Your Lovin': Great choice for a cover song, even if most of us would rather have had an original. Nice marriage of Eric's style and an ol' classic — and it did net some TV play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKElu2Dkgc

9. End of the World: An underrated ballad (even by me). Like "Haven't We Come a Long Way," it seemed "dressed up" with hints of the disco trend, especially in the chorus. But underneath is a nice ballad that begs for a re-recording.

marvin   

1. Someday

2. Desperate Fools

3. Desperate Fools Overture

4. Hey Deannie

5. Baby I Need Your Lovin

6. Heaven Can Wait

7. End Of the World

8. Change Of Heart

9. Haven't We Come A Long Way

LC   

Wow! We are incredibly close on this one, Kirk. Marv's ranks are in the ballpark, too. There are days (moods?) where I'd have "Someday" at the top, too. Great minds...?

KIRK'S HINDSIGHT, as interpreted by LC

1. Desperate Fools

2. Desperate Fools Overture

3. Hey Deanie

4. Someday

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. Change of Heart

7. Haven't We Come a Long Way

8. End of the World

9. Baby I Need Your Loving

1. Someday

2. Desperate Fools

3. Desperate Fools Overture

4. Hey Deanie

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. End Of the World

7. Change Of Heart

8. Haven't We Come A Long Way

9. Baby I Need Your Loving

Bernie

marvin   

When "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" was released as a single, I recall the review in Billboard Magazine calling it, "L.A. slick", due to the Porcoro, Paich, etc playing on the tune. Personally, I loved the arrangement of the tune. It worked for me.

Les R.   

Some may not know it, but "Hey Deanie" is one of Eric's four gold records. Besides ABM & GATW, two of the four were the Shaun Cassidy hits, with the other being "That's Rock 'n' Roll." Oddly, neither of the big Dirty Dancing hits appear to have achieved gold status although they both charted very high.

• Like 1

It almost seems uncool to rank this album very high, but I have it ranked #3, just below Eric's debut. Only album that has no songs rated below B-

1. Desperate Fools A+

2. Desperate Fools Overture A+

3. Hey Deanie A

4. Heaven Can Wait B+

5. Someday B+

6. Change Of Heart B

7. Haven't We Come A Long Way B

8. End Of The World B

9. Baby I Need Your Loving B-

LC   

Updated, with grades. We're pretty close on this one, Craig.

1. Desperate Fools A+

2. Desperate Fools Overture A+

3. Hey Deanie A

4. Someday B+

5. Heaven Can Wait B+

6. Haven't We Come a Long Way B

7. Change of Heart B

8. Baby I Need Your Lovin' B

9. End of the World C+

A little slice of power-pop heaven...

OK I suppose it's time for TUNES' take:

1 CHANGE OF HEART A+ (I spent many showers singing this TUNE. It gets my vote for under appreciated by Eric's fans. Great hooks, great bridge: "Sooner or later I don't know when, I'm gonna get you back in my arms again)

2 SOMEDAY A+ (Another shower song)

3 HEY DEANIE A- (Suffers from us already knowing the TUNE through Sean)

4 DESPERATE F0OLS A- (I appreciate this song more now that I'm older)

5 HAVEN'T WE COME A LONG WAY BABY B (Disco influenced, probably could use a redo)

6 BABY I NEED YOUR LOVIN' B-

7 DESPERATE FOOLS OVERTURE B- (What this TUNE needs are some lyrics lol)

8 HEAVEN CAN WAIT C (Syrupy Eric)

9 END OF THE WORLD (I can't even remember this song. What does that tell you? )

Stay TUNED for some more TUNES' TAKES on Eric's Albums

P.S. Shout out to my buddy LC for starting these threads and for doing such a great job on them.

LC   

Thank you, Tunes. I did some 'berries ones, too, which I'll post any day now.

And I know I owe you some phone time — I was trying to slay a deadline when you called... finished now. Try today or tomorrow? --LC

James   

1. Heaven Can Wait - A+

2. Someday - A+

3. Hey Deanie - A+

4. Change of Heart - A

5. Desperate Fools - A

6. Overture/ Haven´t We Come A Long Way - A

8. End of The World - B-

9. Cover - ok

Les R.   

1. Change of Heart A

2. Hey Deanie A

3. Someday A

4. Heaven Can Wait A-

5. Haven´t We Come A Long Way B

6. End of The World B

7. Baby I Need Your Lovin' B

8. Desperate Fools/Overture C

Eric of course did great with his originals, but he or someone was very smart to decide to give "Hey Deanie" (and TR&R) to Shaun Cassidy. Unlike almost everybody else on this board, I have always preferred Shaun's renditions, and somehow doubt that Eric's originals would have charted nearly as high had they been released as U.S. singles. A lot of that may have to do with Shaun's teen idol factor, but the music on all his covers is just special and almost magical. Oh, and Samantha Sang's cover of "Change of Heart" was nice too!

LC   

This thread got precious little action in 2013 (although it's notable that Tommy Tunes made a rare appearance on a "Hindsight" thread). But Change of Heart deserves better, so I'll bump it with my own revised ratings and see what others think.

In updating my Eric and Raspberries "In Hindsight" threads, I've been jiggering around my rankings. This one is no exception. I've got "Someday" leapfrogging "Hey Deanie," for no particular reason. They've always been almost a dead heat for me. And I got a little tougher on the title track.

1. Desperate Fools A+. Somewhere here we have a thread ranking our overall Eric solo songs. Without looking, I'd bet "Desperate Fools" is right behind "Boats" at the top of my list. 

2. Desperate Fools Overture A+. A pretty gutsy way to open an upbeat pop album! It seques nicely into "Haven't We Come Long Way." 

3. Someday A+. It aged so well that it now gets my highest grade (well, I did give "Boats" two + signs....)

4. Hey Deanie A. Perfect for following "Someday" on a playlist. The pair serves as an instant mood-booster.

5. Heaven Can Wait A–. This one gets a half-grade bump up. A sweet and underrated ballad that, you know, would make a great film soundtrack song.

6. Haven't We Come a Long Way B-. Disco Eric... but a fun pop song nevertheless. I did knock it down a half-grade, though.

7. Baby I Need Your Lovin' B. I'm not an anti-covers person... as long as they're done well. It was nice to see Eric pay homage to a classic R&B/pop tune. "Lately, I been losing sleep...." (See TV lip-sync video below.) 

8. End of the World B–. Kicked this one up a half-grade from a C+ and moved it from 9th to 8th. It's actually a worthy R&B-flavored ballad that reminds me just a little of Hall & Oates. (I wonder if a stripped-down demo exists? Bernie?)

9. Change of Heart C+. Ouch... the title track gets knocked down from a B—and bounced to 7th to 9th. However, I'm grateful it climbed onto the charts back in the day. It's the chorus, I've decided. I like the verses — even the little disco-guitar riffs — but the chorus hasn't aged well. Eric's chorus vocal just get too... screechy. 

And that's final! 

• Like 1

Kirk   

1. Desperate Fools is easily the best song on this album and should have been released as the single

2. Hey Deanie

3. Someday

4. Overature

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. End Of The World

7. Change Of Heart

8. Haven't We Come A Long Way Baby

9. Baby I Need Your Lovin.

LC, our first 5 are the same, just not in the same order. Some really good songs on this album!

• Like 1

James   

I think "Hey Deanie" also has not seen its best version recorded yet. To me the song has the potential to be a "song of the decade" type. Just needs the right group and right production vision. It´s like it hasn´t fully flowered yet. I love Eric´s version, just think there´s a better band and producer out there to marry up with the song to bring it to a full flowering.

PS My list stays the same.  A wall to wall very enjoyable album to listen to. My 3rd favorite behind the first 2 albums,  although one side of me knows "TYM" is a higher quality album with more heavy hitting great songs.

James

• Like 1

LC   

James, we agree again. "Hey Deanie" is great, and a fun listen, but there's something about it that's a little too... delicate? I would love to have heard Wally wail away on that guitar riff. 

—LC

• Like 2

James   

When I hear the version that would be "Hey Deanie´s" potential realized, I think more of something like Edison LIghthouse ´s "Love Grows", or even another Tony Burrows sung tune, "Beach Baby". More sunshine, more upbeatedness, with a more powerful and uplifting wall of sound. Or something like that.

But a crispier, rockier, edgier harder version with Wally hitting that guitar riff would be AWESOME also!...I hadn´t thought of that type of version. But it´s a great idea.

James

• Like 1

LC   

Or maybe a combination thereof! The point being, as great as "Hey Deanie" is in its Carmen studio form, perhaps it's too clean, too perfect. A wall of sound production and some Wally-like crunching and an overall "let loose" performance might bring it to its full potential.

Or maybe we're just being to finicky? :-) LOL

• Like 1

LC   

PS: Did you think the Cassidy version went closer to "full potential"? I tend to think not. It's always felt a little more tentative than it should be. 

• Like 1

James   

I agree. Sean´s version does some things for me,  that are better than Eric´s version, like breathing more, being more organic and natural..and allowing a little "good chaos" in. It´s a good tune.  But it´s also a little too teeny bop (I´m not against teeny bop but here I am)....I think he should have sung the song with a slightly more masculine voice, but he "Seaned" it a little too much, for me.

Overall I´ll take Eric Carmen´s version over Sean´s version, so I´d have to say Sean´s is not the Shangri-la version we´re looking for. But I´m glad he recorded it, high-five to him for that.

James

• Like 1