Eric & Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2

Brian

We went to Cleveland's Severance Hall last night to see The Cleveland Orchestra perform this piece as well as two others. Severance Hall is a jewel of a performance hall....one of the best in the world....and a befitting orchestra to fill it! So much history.

During the final movement of Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2, the familiar notes of All By Myself become evident....during the lines, "And love so distant and obscure...." to the chorus.

Again,Cleveland is so fortunate to have this remarkable,precious orchestra to perform in this beautiful hall. I included a section of the program....

Also.....did you know....that the opening scene in the movie, Air Force One, from 1997, was shot on the roof of Severance Hall?

Thanks Brian for the post!

Name checks are always “verrah†cool. But what’s even cooler is the way it was phrased. Eric could have been identified as just being the writer of ABM that was inspired by this Concerto. But they ID’ed him as his aunt’s nephew. As an aunt (with no kids of my own) I like that!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your fantastic post, Brian! Hearing the country's best orchestra perform in Severance Hall is truly a thrilling experience. Wish I could have been there.

What fabulous program notes! I remember the time the Trenton Symphony performed this concerto and Lobsterlvr Dave was in the audience--our conductor spoke about Eric's song as well, and Dave and I were ecstatic. Whenever I perform this piece, I am transported to EC Heaven--and a happy grin stays permanently glued to my face.

The program notes are a beautiful tribute to Eric and Aunt Muriel and I know she is smiling in the cosmos.

Thanks again for this terrific share!

:)--Darlene