Worst Olympics Opening EVER?!?

Raspbernie

Every Olympic ceremony tries to outdo the previous one. This one was certainly flamboyant and quite the extravaganza. Danny Boyle's budget for this must of been off the charts. While I thought it was all interesting (and maybe it's just me), if there hadn't been commentary, I would have been clueless as to what was happening.

I was OK with it. Nothing much to watch on TV last night anyway.

But I really didn't get all that dancing about the NHS. From my personal experience, there is nothing "happy" about it.(You should see my finger after a simple wart removal) And did you see all those beds lined up in a row. Yep...they've got that right!

Even IF I was all about the NHS, I just don't "get" making a national health system a focus of a dance number.

My Mom and I did enjoy the James Bond bit...but it would have been nice if once the Queen got into the stadium, she smiled every now and again. She really is an attractive lady when she smiles. However, maybe she too was unhappy about the show.

Of course I was in the other room when I hear Mom say: WENDY----Pauuuuul is on! Seriously, does one need to say a last name? Thank goodness for DVRs. Can Paul (I don't do the "Sir" Paul thing, he was my first "boyfriend" after all. wink ) "belt out" a song or what? Still rockin' and still cute after all these years!

I wonder what the closing one will be like? Dare I try to guess?

I didn't get to see the opening ceremony as I was on holiday with the family, but "Worst Olympics Opening Cermony EVER?". - really Bernie?? All the reports I've had on it since were that it was amazing. There was a lot of sceptism and cynism in the UK that the whole London Olympics would be a dreadful flop and that we couldn't pull it off. We British are like that you know and always worry too much about how others see us. However, the consensus seems to have been that this has been one of, if not the most succesful games ever. We are all feeling very proud of ourselves for once.

And if you didn't like the opening ceremony, then what about the closer last night then? My favourite moment was when the whole stadium sang along to John's Imagine - quite moving.

Some respect where respect is due please.

Gary

PS: The happy part about the NHS is that it's free you know! (yes alright I know we pay our taxes for it but I'd rather have the insurance of it always being there than the insurance premiums!).

PS: NBC (the network that aired the Olympics here in the States) kept Russell Brand IN but cut Ray Davies OUT. And as for The Who's grand finale, they showed the premier of a crappy new show about an animal doctor instead. Bravo! Oh well, at least we got to see the Spice Girls reunion. Too bad my daughter isn't seven-years-old anymore, she'd have loved it.

Bernie

PS: The happy part about the NHS is that it's free you know! (yes alright I know we pay our taxes for it but I'd rather have the insurance of it always being there than the insurance premiums!).

Well, if you pay (any) taxes (that goes to health care) then it's not free. I know the high taxes I paid when I lived there. Oh, and I don't have to pay any insurance premiums. However, even if I loved the NHS, I still don't understand doing a dance segment about it.

As for the closing, for me...I loved it, even though it seems they did a repeat on British music. But even so...I LOVED the Spice Girls, Annie Lennox and Eric Idol!!!! Oh...and I LOVED Brian May and Roger Taylor. I actually enjoyed the gal singing with them. And I always enjoyed "Take That" when I lived in London. In the end I enjoyed the closing...a lot!

I was not geared up for the closing of the Olympics, but I have to admit, it was better than I had expected! With a couple exceptions, I really wish Sir Elton John would have been there,seems he was the missing piece. And Bernie, I totally agree, way too much of Jessie J.... didn't get her singing Queen either... now that is a WTF? ... But over all, it was a wonderful show.

I wish I would have seen it now, because Oasis played. That's the band that Ringo's son, Zak plays drums in. Don't know whether he played or not. I would think absolutely so.

I didn't have time to watch the ending ceremonies, but they said that people were lypsincing the beginning of songs, like The Who. I think that was for T.V., to make sure everyone started. Or it would have looked like no one was ready to sing.

No delays on live T.V. for that type of telecast.

Or, it would have looked like this:

(Through stage speakers- 'Your on!') Then the lead singer looks at everyone to start. And how long it would take the band or singer to start playing, each time.