10 Artists that define RnR for me...

marvin

Most of the greats have already been mentioned, with the Beatles definitely heading up the list. But of those that I haven't seen mentioned yet, these are mine, in order:

1. ELO

2. Foreigner

3. J. Geils Band

4. Styx

5. Duran Duran

6. Alice Cooper

7. Chicago

8. Moody Blues

9. Jefferson Starship

10. The Guess Who

And although I love "Magic Bus" and "Squeeze Box," I still prefer The Guess Who over The Who. Honorable mentions to Journey and Kiss.

Hi Tony: Well I don't consider 15 years to be such a short run. J. Geils Band hasn't charted #1 albums across five decades as has Chicago, but they have still made a significant mark on music.

Like their fellow Bostonians, the Cars, J. Geils Band just has a sound that I find very fresh and appealing. To me they are the American version of the Rolling Stones. But mostly it's because of unforgettable songs like "Must've Got Lost," "Give It to Me," "Looking For a Love," and "Come Back," in addition to their bigger '80s hits.

Myself, I don't feel qualified to make a R&R list because other than the Beatles, Raspberries, Butch Walker, Maroon 5...and maybe The Kinks, I didn't hear enough consistency in songwriting with the real "R&R bands" to rock my world.

Give me "pop" icons like Carmen, Elton, Earth Wind & Fire, the Beach Boys, Yes and The BeeGees anytime OVER The Who, The Stones, Aerosmith and all the other drug R&R bands...

Great JGB LP, hollies! Thanks for posting.

I'm definitely with you, Tony! Hope you like those JGB songs. I'm definitely an Elton man. And I have seen Barry Manilow in concert twice in the last 10 days (Kansas City & Tulsa), so that should tell you something else about my musical tastes! Since I lean pop, I have a shorter list of definitive musicians that along with those two actually trumps my earlier list:

3. Olivia Newton-John

4. ABBA

5. Diana Ross/Supremes

6. Stevie Wonder

7. Billy Joel

8. Hall & Oates

9. Dionne Warwick

10. Crystal Gayle

Great JGB LP, hollies! Thanks for posting.

I'm definitely with you, Tony! Hope you like those JGB songs. I'm definitely an Elton man. And I have seen Barry Manilow in concert twice in the last 10 days (Kansas City & Tulsa), so that should tell you something else about my musical tastes! Since I lean pop, I have a shorter list of definitive musicians that along with those two actually trumps my earlier list:

3. Olivia Newton-John

4. ABBA

5. Diana Ross/Supremes

6. Stevie Wonder

7. Billy Joel

8. Hall & Oates

9. Dionne Warwick

10. Crystal Gayle

When I first came up with this list, how many 'hit' songs an artist had was not a pre-requisite. I'd certainly list J Geils right near the top for favourite live acts. They are (were) just phenomenal in concert, and they also had at least a dozen great tunes.

Tough to narrow it down to ten, but strictly on a personal level and not on a national level, I go with:

1. The Beatles

2. Raspberries

3. Beach Boys

4. Elvis Presley

5. Guess Who

6. Stones

7. Queen

8. Doors

9. Badfinger

10. Van Halen

Very difficult to not include both Elton John and Wings because I love many rock songs by them, but I consider them more pop. I learned to play rock piano listening to Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, and Roy Orbison, so, they were all huge influences on me, too, but more as a musician, than as a listener.

It's also hard to leave off groups like The Rascals, Monkees, and Archies, who while they did rock, too, seem to fall in different genres to me, like pop, (or in The Rascals case...blues, or rock, or pop) but I spent my youth listening to them as much as anyone, so they deserve a mention. I have recently started to really get into Faces, after only having a few of their records growing up, but I could see them joining my top ten soon.