The "Special" Thread

Paulie Mississippi

I'm sure it's nice to have access to a "limited access" area based on your ability to overpay for memorabilia at the annual ebay auctions. I bid what I could afford for several items but got outbid by some of the members who have more money to squander on the non-essentials of life.

So enjoy your even greater benefit of your own little clique within the club. Once up on a time this entire site was a "special" place to be... arrgh

Guest Fresh

Paulie, I have spent countless hours here having fun(most of the time!) since 2005. Giving back a little for all the enjoyment I've taken away is not only fair, it helps to keep the machine running, Just my opinion. No one should feel obligated to donate, nor should anyone feel guilt or shame if they don't donate...we will simply shun you!!!!!! haha

Just kidding, just kidding!!!

Appreciation does not always have to come in the form of money. My understanding was that the "donations" were on a volunteer basis. Now it seems if don't pay you can't "play" on all forums. I was considering donating but now I must admit I'm a little pissed off at this, it is almost like you are being forced to pay or you are segregated from parts of this site. I understand websites are expensive and alot of work but members should not be punished for not making a donation. I have the upmost respect for you Bernie and you have done a wonderful thing for Eric but maybe you should just ask for a annual membership fee and be done with it.

Monica

Hi Paulie and Monica...

It's like when one pays for VIP seats or extra money to do a meet and greet with a band. I believe the Raspberries did that. I would have paid extra if they had offered that in Cleveland. You get something special in return.

But with this, anyone who gave, gave before we even knew we'd get---anything back, like this. I was pleasantly surprised. I think it's Bernie's way of thanking us for supporting him in keeping this site running.

One doesn't have to donate...but NOW when one does, one is thanked by getting other things shared in the "Special Thread."

With an auction, you pay and receive your gift. With donating to this forum, you get another kind of gift. So it's a win, win situation. smile

No one makes any of us bid on items at the auction and no one makes anyone donate, it's up to us. (I for one wish I had seen that "Let's Pretend" single up there at the auction. No one would have had to twist my arm to bid...they would have had to tie me up and STOP me from bidding!)

Guest Fresh

I gave a donation, and Eric called me and demanded a free spinal adjustment and acupressure treatment or else he wouldn't let me log in anymore!!!!!(Just kidding, just kidding!!).

Wendy I understand what you are saying but an auction is different from this as is VIP, meet and greet. Anybody who does not donate will always be left out of that forum. EC.com has always had a family feel to it and I have only been on this site for a little under a yr and can feel that, but you don't split the family up with regards to who can pay and who does not (at least none of the families I feel a part of ). This feels very segregated to me, isn't the title "supporter" enough?

Monica

Guest Fresh

What special perks are you guys referring to???

Are there places here that are off-limits to non-supporters??

If so, I wasn't aware of it. I'm just relieved that Bernie doesn't charge by the number of posts I made!!! 10,550 posts at 10 cents a post....that can add up!!! :yikes:haha

Hi Monica,

I explained HOW an auction is different from this. But as a supporter of ANYTHING (and even in an auction and a VIP meet and greet) you usually get something in return. That has never been segregation---no one is keeping you out, you just need to donate to get into that section---like a VIP meet and greet. None of us who originally supported this site expected anything like this, but to our surprise we got something extra here.

So I am not sure why anyone is complaining when they now know that if they want to help "support" this site (and keep it up and running so that EVERYONE can enjoy the rest of the forum) that they get something EXTRA in return---a THANK YOU. I for one appreciate that, even if the title of “supporter†was enough for me.

No one has to do this, but we get thanked in a special way if we do. It's really quite simple. And no one can keep us from being a “familyâ€...that is a choice, as is donating.

Actually people who do not register or sign in can't go to the Cartoon Forum. So, not all forums are opened.

Again...this new forum is a THANK YOU from Bernie for helping keep this site up and running so ALL may enjoy the other forums. Sometimes ones gets a little something extra for helping out. Nothing wrong with that.

I gave $10 and Wally came out to my home and gave me a full body massage...Oh wait, that was just a dream I had last night blush

my donation got me a brazilian wax! :yikes:

I'm not a memorabilia buff...so I was very happy when Bernie set up the "donate" button. No minimum....can't beat that.

Monica,

Actually I felt strange when I see "supporter" title. So I asked Bernie at "All For Love" 'Help Support' topic(Then the post has removed....). I asked Bernie by PM again, he gave me a message. Then I got to know the meaning of "donate". Then I wanna be a supporter.

I guess he thinks like this.....

So my fellow EC.com members,

ask not what your site can do for you,

ask what you can do for your site.

-----J.F.Bernie

coolcoolcool

just kidding grin

Probably, in hindsight, should not have even started this thread. It was sort of knee jerk after I stumbled upon the "private" thread.

As I said, I bid on a few items at the auction, and likely will get around to chipping in on a "voluntary" basis. I understand that many, if not most sites have free sections to "whet the appetite" and the really good stuff is for just the paying audiences. We've been lucky all these years that we were allowed full access for free. Just hated to see that freedom disappear.

No offense meant to Bernie or Eric; bad timing coincided with a bad mood I guess... frown