GATW By The Killers

Zuke

...was used at the end of DARK SHADOWS movie.

Just a question.... with all the other Original 70's Music in the movie, why did they use The Killers version?

Also, (not to cause any trouble) it is credited only to Eric?

• Like 1

...was used at the end of DARK SHADOWS movie.

Just a question.... with all the other Original 70's Music in the movie, why did they use The Killers version?

Also, (not to cause any trouble) it is credited only to Eric?

To answer the last part first...ummmmmmmmm, because Eric Carmen wrote the words and music. So he gets the credit.

As for the first part...perhaps it's just because whom ever did the "choosing" likes this cover version better for the movie. Ok, I don't get that either. Also, from what I've been told...it is sometimes less expensive (royalty wise) for a band to be hired to cover a song and be paid a certain amount, waving their royalties, such as mechanical royalties which is the use of a musician’s voice and his/her performances on said track.

Then all that is due are the royalties to the person who wrote the words and music. And in this case, it's Eric Carmen.

• Like 1

Tony Cartmill said:

Also,...1972 original, Too tinny. Should have used "Sunset Strip" Live version...

Agree with everyone that any exposure for the song and Eric is fantastic, but Tony, the original is untouchable IMHO..

With any luck, the kids listening to the Killers version will look up the original and see the genius.

:cool: Jean

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I asked this same question (also very "late to the party") at the IMdB site on the discussion boards. How the person who posted one answer knew this, I do not know. However, they said that Tim Burton who did the film, was friends with The Killers. Apparently he wanted to throw something their way. I listened to several other things that The Killers did, to get a sense of them. Their own sound is very different than the Raspberries. I think their "cover" of Go All The Way, sounds far more like an attempt to copy, than a real "cover".  In reading some of Carmen's interviews from over the years, he talked about doing a "cover" of someone else's song. Not a quote here, but he basically said that he would only do a cover if he could make the song his own. i.e., Since he (and so many other artists) admired the Beatles, doing a song of theirs would be hard because everyone loved the originals. The inclination would be to do it note for note, sound for sound. I really admire that viewpoint. Therefore, it really begs the question of why Burton would not have used the original recording done by the Raspberries.

That said, I thought that the song "Go All The Way" was a perfect fit for the end of the movie. Interesting twist of interpretation. The original recording would have made it that much better!  

• Like 2

Welcome to our group KkH!  Nice first post too. 

I've written a bit about this topic myself in another section - GATW - which Eric began a while back. 

Since I'm a Johnny Depp fan and love the vampire musical mash-up Burton did, I've seen the movie a few times and listened to The Killers' cover at the end.  The movie is also a fun acting credit for Burton's partner, Helena Bonham Carter.  

I'll stand on my comment(s) that Brandon Flowers' voice is completely void of the passion and nuance Eric will always put into the song. 

(But really, no one could compare to Eric singing that song...but I digress... ;)

I did wonder myself why Tim Burton wouldn't have used the original so that's great question.  I've read the "other-wordly" sound of Flowers' voice adds to the movie.  Going all the way to vampirism?  Is that an actual word?  ha, ha, ha!

Cayenne

• Like 2

I certainly would not describe Flower's voice as "other-worldly". It sounds a bit like he is trying to cover up a weak type voice. That is not necessarily bad. Joanie Mitchell had a thin voice, but it suited her songs. Eric Carmen's voice was stronger and more nuanced throughout. On the studio recording, as well as on videos from different TV performances and the concerts. 

Thanks for the note Cayennegirl!! Nice to be here.

• Like 3

C-girl and Kkh,

I can see how Brandon Flowers' vocals added to the movie. He had a certain style of singing, almost like he is speaking the lyrics instead of singing at times. Not an emotional singer, that's for sure.

I do like some of the Killers music, but Brandon is very weak covering GATW.

Am sure we all agree that no one else could ever come close to duplicating Eric's powerful and emotional style.

redd

P.S. Welcome Kkh & thx for posting :)

• Like 2

On 1/26/2014 at 10:02 PM, KkH said:

I certainly would not describe Flower's voice as "other-worldly". It sounds a bit like he is trying to cover up a weak voice. That is not necessarily bad. Joanie Mitchell had a thin voice, but it suited her songs. Eric Carmen's voice was stronger and more nuanced throughout. On the studio recording, as well as on videos from different TV performances and the concerts. 

Thanks for the note Cayennegirl!! Nice to be here.

Jonie has a weak voice but she is a woman and can get away with it! 

Guess I'm just partial to Eric, you know?  It would have been so great to actually hear him sing at the end of that movie instead of a cover.

Cayenne

• Like 1

Apparently, I cannot edit a misspell on my previous remark after this many hours. So, I beg the pardon of all for misspelling "Joni", as in Joni Mitchell. Don't know what caused that aberration. I knew it didn't look right though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have not "heard" anything from Mr. Carmen that could be considered creepy, until someone like the Killers come along and with some "eerie" musical sounds in the background  cover Mr. Carmen's song to fit this rather cheeky horror flick, so then --- voila!  It's a horror romance song.

All thoughts of who sang it better aside, Mr. Burton must have been wanting a certain spooky aspect to be added to the song to fit more appropriately with the film.  I think he succeeded.  This doesn't take away from the original version OBVIOUSLY being the best. However---I don't think I'd care to remember a second version of the song done by Mr. Carmen with a "creepy" affect added to it.  Some things are just plain WRONG, and I think that would be one.

AnneNR

6  6
__/