Long-lost "Boats" TV video

LC

IMHO, Olivia could have knocked "Boats..." out of the park, her voice had the potential...her voice was perfect for the song.

But whoever directed her in her singing/produced the song.. screwed up.

Though John Farrar is a genius in my book just for the fact he wrote "Have You Never Been Mellow" and sometimes my favorite pop song ever, "Don't Stop Believing".

P.S. I never bought any Bay City Rollers albums, but I liked all their songs that hit the radio in Columbus, Ohio.

P.P.S.

A couple covers that were 10X better than the originals:

"Up On A Roof", James Taylor

"Stand By Me", Mickey Gilley

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: marvin
Not taking anything away from Olivia's musical knowledge, but I'd bet (almost) anything that her producer John Farrar had a lot to do with finding "Boats" for her.

I think that's part of a producer's job, so most likely.

Well not really, but yes in Olivia's case because she didn't write her own songs.

Andy, I enjoy all your performances. I am amazed at your ability to translate your guitar chords at the piano..that is a gift!

smile Jean

Well actually the only way I would learn piano was to play a chord on the guitar and then figure it out on the piano..it was an arduous process, but it helps me transpose rather quickly now...it also make me lazy to learn songs properly ;-)

Andy, music is a gift, but with passion like yours. behind it..it becomes phenomenal IMHO.

My daughter was a gifted high school musician but she lacked the passion..so, she stopped when she went to college (without regrets on her part!).

I guess this is one reason why I notice and appreciate the passion when I see it. smart

Jean

Andy, music is a gift, but with passion like yours. behind it..it becomes phenomenal IMHO.

My daughter was a gifted high school musician but she lacked the passion..so, she stopped when she went to college (without regrets on her part!).

I guess this is one reason why I notice and appreciate the passion when I see it. smart

Jean

Hey Late....this song has special meaning to me...I went through a weird situation with an old girlfriend when I was 18...Marvin was witness to it at the time...I played this song over and over when she and I broke up cuz it was a bad scene ( I stole her away from my bass player)...it was really teenage drama at its finest....but nonetheless Boats seemed like it was written for me/us.... to this day, I have a love for this girl that is not romantic, but a love that is unconditional...she just made me a better person somehow...and showed me what love was..."Boats" mad me feel the hurt for having lost her because we were just "not meant for each other somehow"...

She is still my first love,ad will always be so.

Its easy to sing such a masterpiece when you feel it...

bahoo

That was so nice Andy ... I Enjoyed it!!! LuvLove

Boats is my favorite EC ballad...here is my version...I dont read music, so I am reading the guitar chords, and transposing them to the piano...this was a one-taker..kind of got lost at one point...but man it'S hard one to sing!

">

I empathize with you Andy...I was going through a nasty break up at the same time during 'Boats'. Might as well post another cover while I'm here- I'm guessing she plays as well as sings- I like her phrasing, different...she makes the song her own:

Originally Posted By: LatetotheParty

Jean

Hey Late....this song has special meaning to me...I went through a weird situation with an old girlfriend when I was 18...Marvin was witness to it at the time...I played this song over and over when she and I broke up cuz it was a bad scene ( I stole her away from my bass player)...it was really teenage drama at its finest....but nonetheless Boats seemed like it was written for me/us.... to this day, I have a love for this girl that is not romantic, but a love that is unconditional...she just made me a better person somehow...and showed me what love was..."Boats" mad me feel the hurt for having lost her because we were just "not meant for each other somehow"...

bahoo

Ah...the good old days. Well, not really. All those years ago, Andy and I spent many, many hours listening to Raspberries and Eric's music. Needless to say that it left an indelible mark on our musical and personal lives.

Originally Posted By: LatetotheParty

Jean

bahoo

Andy, you shared some very personal stuff. It is interesting to me how music is such a living part of our personal histories. It can bring back the worst or sweetest memories. I am glad Eric's music is still a postive part of your life; especially as it gets you in such a deep personal place. Again, I enjoy everything you've posted that I have been lucky enough to see! And Marvin went to the trouble of finding your "Should I Wait" collaboration for me (he knows I love the style as we are both BIG Eagles fans)..

smile Jean

After posting my version my youtube version I decided to forward the link to that old girlfriend, telling her a bit about the story....she was not aware of the song then, nor how it affected me with regards to our breakup...here is her comment on the video:

" What a wonderful and heart-filled rendition. It's a great song, I love "the romance in the sunset"--the idea that things will get better, that it's the current we're all up against, doing our best.

That time was so tumultuous for me and I realize my home life was a bigger rock around my neck in those days than I could imagine. It took me years to be able to articulate how hard it was and how alone I felt. I also have realized how blessed I was to have your company. You saw me and I trusted your version of me, I swam towards it. It was a 'what the fuck' but such an important time for me, and you were such excellent company. Thanks for this. "

Note to Eric: You see what your music has done for folks out there?...better than medicating in other ways....thanks for this masterpiece Eric!

Bahoo