Long-lost "Boats" TV video

LC

Did anyone post this vintage 1977 TV performance here yet? I've had this on a DVD for a while but couldn't figure out how to extract it and put it on YouTube. It's on a bootleg that wasn't allowing me to isolate this one song. Fortunately, somebody else got it done....

Masterful.... Just masterful.

I remember seeing this back in the day, and it was moving then, and even more so now. "We find ourselves pretending one more day, while the years keep slipping away...." Eric, if this were the only song you'd ever written, it would have been enough. It still makes my short, short list of all-time favorite songs.

Suzanne, thanks for putting this on FB, and hope you don't mind that I shared it over here! As you said, "so awesome"!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, Marv. But hmm... as many times as I've listened to that song, I would have sworn this was a lip-synch, too --- and a flawless one, at that. The vocal just sounds so letter-perfect to the recording, at least to me.

"We find ourselves pretending one more day, while the years keep slipping away...." Eric, if this were the only song you'd ever written, it would have been enough.

It sure would have been, LC (But, I'm sooo glad it wasn't). Eric put enough of his heart and soul into the creation and performance of this masterpiece to last a lifetime. I know I got pretty emotional watching him perform it (Even if he was lip-synching to perfection).

If I could name one song that would be a personal life-changer for me...this one is it.

I only wish I could have found it much, much sooner.

Hi all,

I am the one who uploaded these clips. I hope Eric doesn't mind! Clips (from VHS tape) are as aired on an episode of the Midnight Special. I don't know if they were official promo clips or just TV appearances on a soundstage. If Eric or anyone has a problem with these being "out there" please let me know and I'll pull them

Here's the third clip, just uploaded!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8N6lCZoaLY&feature=share

Hi Everyone; just wanted to credit our board member "Last Night" for these 1977 Midnight Special appearances that were uploaded (Marathon Man, She Did It and Boats)..This quote was from the "Come Around and See Me" Thread entitled "Marathon Man/She Did It Eric TV 1977" where I originially uploaded the first 2 videos...

:thanx: again to Last Night

Jean

Thanks so much for that sourcing, Jean! And Last Night (Jim), you're awesome.... As I said, I know that "Boats" video has been floating around out there forever but it never turned up on YouTube. I finally got a copy of it on DVD a few months ago but was perplexed in my attempts to extract it. So I was happy to see it finally saw the light of day, so to speak.

I did see the "Marathon Man" and "She Did It" you put up, too; it was great to see those again, too. I remember 'em all from their original airings — three classics from an under-appreciated gem of an album.

Got more? :-)

PS: I should point you to the Boats blog Bernie started a full five years ago, in case you haven't seen it: http://ericcarmen.blogspot.com/. Bernie, our late, great friend Don Krider, and I each posted some "musings" about Boats, and it was a lot of fun. It's definitely one of those rare recordings that's worthy of repeated study.

Thanks for the referral to the "Boats" blog. I have thoroughly combed thru it and enjoyed it...only it was frustrating to a newer member like me to click on the song demos and not get to hear them (like "Temporary Hero" that I have yet to hear).

Also, I did not realize that Don Krider has passed.

I was pretty excited when I found Last Nights first Youtubes (Marathon Man and She Did It)..after I posted them here, Last Night "admitted" to uploading to which we are all truly grateful!

cool Jean

Welcome to ec.com Last Night! Thank you so much for uploading these treasures and I hope they can stay up. I am enjoying all 3 very much. Just recently I posted that I wish I could see a performance video of Eric doing his favorite and most personal song "Boats Against the Current." You have made a wish come true!

:thanx:heartpump Jean

Monica my dear..I DID post my extreme gratitude to Last Night for posting Boats in my original thread on this subject under "Come Around and See Me" like I just mentioned in this particular thread!

Of course I went NUTS over all three of these Midnight Special songs from Boats! Go back and read my original thread girl! I was shocked more ec.com ladies did not chime in to effuse over gorgeous young Eric! LOL!!

LuvLove:liplick:LuvLove Jean

I was shocked more ec.com ladies did not chime in to effuse over gorgeous young Eric! LOL!!

Well, I for one never had a problem voicing my opinion about the “gorgeous young†Eric. When I look at this video, all I can think is, “My gosh...how can any man be that beautiful?!â€

However, I must say that the last time I saw Eric, (now in his 60’s), my first thought was, “My gosh...how can any man be that beautiful?!â€

As time goes by, some things never change I suppose.

PS: I loved this performace of "Boats"...

Definitely lip-sunk....of course Eric being a perfectionist, he matched it flawlessly...what really gave it away was the piano playing...his hands don't match what is on the audio...of course they may have used an instrumental track and Eric sang it live....but it looks too perfect, as awesome as this tune is, live, Eric always gives and extra something special in his performance that is not present in this video

bahoo

Originally Posted By: LatetotheParty
Welcome to ec.com Last Night! Thank you so much for uploading these treasures and I hope they can stay up. I am enjoying all 3 very much. Just recently I posted that I wish I could see a performance video of Eric doing his favorite and most personal song "Boats Against the Current." You have made a wish come true!

:thanx:heartpump Jean

Monica my dear..I DID post my extreme gratitude to Last Night for posting Boats in my original thread on this subject under "Come Around and See Me" like I just mentioned in this particular thread!

Of course I went NUTS over all three of these Midnight Special songs from Boats! Go back and read my original thread girl! I was shocked more ec.com ladies did not chime in to effuse over gorgeous young Eric! LOL!!

LuvLove:liplick:LuvLove Jean

Ok Jean my memory is not that bad i was talking about the link to that article about Boats that LC mentioned did you see that pic next to the article? A great pic. Of course I saw your post my friend time machine remember ? Who else drools as much as me over Eric or more? well except Wendy maybe grin

Sorry for the miscommunacado my friend ! smile

xoxoxox

Monica

Originally Posted By: LC
And... who can ID all the band members performing with Eric?

LC that's the FIRST thing I was trying to do. None of the members looked familiar to me.

Would love to hear from Eric on this one...If I were going to take a guess, I think Eric probably did this program solo- you don't need a band for lip-sync...and one of the bands that was taping the same day as Eric did a stand in to make it look like a live performance.

Eric, if this were the only song you'd ever written, it would have been enough.

Nooooooooooooooooo. lol

Here, LC, I'd have to disagree completely. If "Let's Pretend" hadn't been written, much of my life wouldn't have been impacted the way it has been by that one simple song. But I do understand if one has a connection to a song, that “one†song is sometimes all that is needed.

Did anyone post this vintage 1977 TV performance here yet? I've had this on a DVD for a while but couldn't figure out how to extract it and put it on YouTube. It's on a bootleg that wasn't allowing me to isolate this one song. Fortunately, somebody else got it done....

Still so amazing and sad that this song did not become a big follow-up hit after the monster success of 1975/1976.

WTF happened?

I know. It doesn't make sense. I've wondered that too.

A couple months ago I drove from Columbus to Chicago and brought along one of my best friends for the trip. My friend is a musician and a talented song writer.

In the car I played the song "Boats Against The Current" for him and he was floored at how great the song was. He asked me to play it a second time, and then a third. He's not a huge Eric Carmen/Raspberries fan like me, but he immediately saw the greatness in that song as most of us do.

Pretty cool.

James.