Tebow Time Runs Out? Peyton Manning to Broncos!

Paulie Mississippi

How do Jets fans feel about this trade? Running 2 QBs in and out depending on the play call? Are we in college here? Will this work in the NFL?

Tebow, as a situational player to bolster the Jets running game, is fine. No way he challenges Sanchez for the starting QB role. Brad Smith (who was a fine college QB himself) ran the Wildcat formations for the Jets during Sanchez' first two years with much success. That trickery however was geared toward outside running (Smith being tall and FAST...PLUS he could actually throw a ball well). That, coupled with the Jets stout defense and interior Offensive line and running game....helped Sanchez over the bumps of his first two years(Both of which ended in the AFC Championship Game). Last year, the stupid Jets wouldn't pay Smith..so he left for Buffalo. The Offensive line did not play that well AND the Jets relied on Shonne Greene to carry the rushing game. With that faltering, Sanchez had to do too much and made many mistakes. In the meantime though, Sanchez did not play that poorly, in fact his stats were the best of his three seasons in the NFL.

The Jets locker room is a mess. An Army of therapists and probation officers couldn't get them to be a cohesive unit. Alas Tebow might be just another divisive issue. He'll help the running game (as a situational QB or even HB), which will help the passing game, which will help the defense rest a bit......BUT how long after Sanchez throws an INT will we be hearing the calls "Dirty Sanchez.....we want Timmah!"

Oh well.....and by the way....the Giants just keep rolling along. cry

Just read an on-line analysis which said that, assuming the Jets and Broncos can settle on who pays Tebow the $5M salary advance, Ryan intends to use him as a situational player, running the wild cat offense. This particular journalist said that this is probably the most effective way to use his skills. Regarding the advance. . . . . . apparently Tebow's contract calls for a $5M advance, of which he has received $1M already. The Jets expect Denver to pay all of it, but Denver wants NY to pick it up. This particular item apparently ended a potential deal between Denver and Jacksonville. If the NY trade falls through, Arizona is a possibility for TT.

Apparently it has been settled with the Bronco's and Jets splitting the money... Tebow joins a team that already has signed it's starting quarterback, backup, and third string guy; so it seems that, barring a miracle strange turn of events; Tim will get no consideration other than as a wildcat guy and possibly working into other roles... of course nobody thought Tebow would start in Denver last year... and when he did, nobody thought the team would succeed... Bear in mind that just because the Jets have signed all three of their guys, there is no guarantee that all three of them start the season... or even preseason... with the team.

In some ways I'm sure the league was thrilled about the Manning/Tebow episode as it took some of the spotlight off of their announcement regarding the New Orleans Saints... as their head coach has been suspended for the entire 2012 season... the defensive coordinator who moved on to be head coach in St. Louis... well, he is banned from the game indefinitely... Also the Saint's GM is suspended for the first 8 games of the year (not sure how that works...) the assistant coach is out 6 games, the team is out their 2nd round draft choices... this year AND next... and last, but not least; the Saints were fined $500,000.00 for the debacle of intentionally trying to hurt players... The league identified that attempts were made on at least... Aaron Rodgers, Brett Farve, Kurt Warner and Cam Newton... the last one proving that they continued their bounty hunt even after the league warned them of the investigation and told them in no uncertain terms that it would not be tolerated.

Payton, for the record, was not suspended for the actions of Greg Williams or any of his players; rather for lying to the league and trying to lead a cover up of the crime during the investigation...

The report claimed that between 22 and 27 defensive players were involved... have not heard if any suspensions of those players are forthcoming, but I'd have to wonder how they could not be...

I'm pretty sure that Drew Brees is even more upset that he was "franchised" now... as it seems that the Saints will have a tough row to how in '12 and beyond...

The more I sit and think about the events of the past few days, I start to wonder... how will Denver fans react if/when Peyton Manning gets hurt? We've gone from wondering if Peyton will ever play again to assuming he can take the Bronco's to the promised land in a matter of days.

Consider what happens in Denver if Manning goes down before ever throwing a regular season pass. I was discussing this with a huge Denver/Tebow fan where I work last night and the consensus was that Manning is a huge health risk still... and if that happens, with Tebow long gone... will the fans demand that Elway is run out of town on a rail?

Personally I suspect that is not a far-fetched scenario. I expect the team will try to protect Manning in the pre-season, but even if the league slaps a belt with two strips of cloth onto Peyton's waist and goes to flag football rules, there is a solid chance that Peyton goes down...

In some ways it could be that Peyton simply recouped the money he was due from the Colts... and Elway and Fox gladly paid it so they had their excuse for dumping Tebow in a way they could avoid as much of the fans' wrath as possible. I suspect anything short of the Super Bowl and the fans wrath could come back in vengeance... especially if Tim finds any kind of success in NY...

The more I sit and think about the events of the past few days, I start to wonder... how will Denver fans react if/when Peyton Manning gets hurt? We've gone from wondering if Peyton will ever play again to assuming he can take the Bronco's to the promised land in a matter of days.

Consider what happens in Denver if Manning goes down before ever throwing a regular season pass. I was discussing this with a huge Denver/Tebow fan where I work last night and the consensus was that Manning is a huge health risk still... and if that happens, with Tebow long gone... will the fans demand that Elway is run out of town on a rail?

Personally I suspect that is not a far-fetched scenario. I expect the team will try to protect Manning in the pre-season, but even if the league slaps a belt with two strips of cloth onto Peyton's waist and goes to flag football rules, there is a solid chance that Peyton goes down...

In some ways it could be that Peyton simply recouped the money he was due from the Colts... and Elway and Fox gladly paid it so they had their excuse for dumping Tebow in a way they could avoid as much of the fans' wrath as possible. I suspect anything short of the Super Bowl and the fans wrath could come back in vengeance... especially if Tim finds any kind of success in NY...

Paulie - This is exactly why I was asking the question the other day about why there was a necessity to get rid of Tebow, instead of letting him sit and learn behind Manning. Nobody knows how Peyton's repaired neck is going to hold up.

If he goes down, who's going to play for Denver? Denver is rolling the dice here that Manning is going to stay healthy. If he does, they'll probably look like geniuses. If not....or if Tebow wildly succeeds in NY, hey, GMs and coaches are fired in the NFL every year. Those are two jobs with next to no job security.

However, I do NOT think that signing Manning was part of any kind of a plot designed to get rid of Tebow....Elway, Fox and company aren't deliberately trying to sabotage their team just so they can dump one player. They're definitely trying to win and win big. If anywhere near 100%, Peyton M. can do that, no doubt.

What makes this issue really interesting for me is that there appear to be two diametrically opposed camps on this subject....the old school football scouts, coaches, media types and experts, who are convinced that Tebow will never be able to play at a high level consistently....and no, he didn't do that last year, in spite of his overall 8-5 record. He was either ungodly great (mostly in the 4th quarters) or horrible (the first 3 quarters of most games, and in his games where the Broncocs lost).

Then, on the other side, are fans who don't give a damn about his fundamentally unsound footwork, passing mechanics, etc......they point to the fact that the team made the playoffs after a 1-4 start, and his games were exciting, at least the wins. And this viewpoint is equally valid.

And there appears to no compromise at all between these two sides.

Less than 24 hours after announcing they had landed Tebow (the second announcement that is), the AP reported that the Jets were shopping recently signed Drew Stanton; who looked to be the backup this year in NY after siting behind Matthew Stafford and Shaun Hill in Detroit last season... Call it a "trickle down effect" but it certainly proves that Tebow's days as a quarterback are not behind him...

Good to see that Tim T's getting a typical warm New York greeting!......So far, CB Antonio Cromartie has tweeted that the team doesn't need him, Sanchez is just fine; Joe Namath said that the Jets' acquisition of him "stinks", and is a slap in the face to Sanchez; and Mike Lupica of the Daily News referred to it as the latest sideshow attraction in the never-ending Jets' circus.

In this day and age, however....show me an NFL team with a lousy backup QB, and I'll show you a bad team that usually falls apart when their starter gets hurt. Last year alone, for example - the Chicago Bears were 7-3, riding high on a 5 game winning streak, and apparently playoff-bound again, when Cutler broke his thumb. With Caleb Hanie (who looked good the year before against the Packers in the NFC title game) starting, they went 1-5, beating only the hapless Vikings the last game of the season....and they had to sign veteran backup Josh McCown before the end of the season, to replace Hanie. For a more obvious example, the Colts without Peyton Manning or a decent backup QB.....from 10 wins to 2.

Tebow's QB days are not over, even if he does start the season sitting on the bench for a team that he really didn't want to play for......although he may change his mind if the Jets step up the use of the Wild Cat, and/or he starts getting much more lucrative endorsement deals from just being in NY.

Now I'm hearing that the trade is not "finalized" due to some technical contract issues... I don't doubt it will be finalized, but it's odd that this thing has dragged on and on...

One thing is true, I'm more interested in this coming NFL season that I have ever been in one previously... Will Andrew Luck be the real deal? I got a hunch that Robert Griffin III is going to be the cream of this draft when we look back with a historical perspective, not to say that Luck won't be solid... I am also anxious to see how Boise State's Kellen Moore fares in the draft... and with whatever team takes him... According to some sources, he had a better "pro day" than quarterbacks like Arizona State's Nick Folkes or San Diego States' Ryan Lineley...

And, of course... is Peyton Manning really healthy? How much playing time will Tim Tebow see?

Yep, though I love and savor every minute of baseball... football is gonna be fun too... laugh

A new article at Yahoo sports about Tebow's "welcome" to New York has a couple of interesting... and cute... anecdotes that remind us that many people can differentiate between supporting a player and a team, though it seems that if they support the player; eventually they will demand that he play...

" It took just a few days for the famed Carnegie Deli in Manhattan to name a sandwich after Tebow — on white bread, naturally."

"“He transcends cities and teams,†said Randy Echevarria, president of the Jacksonville Beach Gator Club back in the original Tebow country. “It just doesn’t matter to Tebow fans.â€

Those fans are legion. Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon tells a story about broadcasting a Broncos-Packers game in early October when Kyle Orton still was Denver’s starter. As the Broncos were getting routed, coach John Fox heard some chants from the Lambeau Field stands: “T-E-B-OW, T-E-B-O-W.†Fox ignored them.

A bit later the chants got louder and more frequent.

“John said he couldn’t believe that many Broncos fans had traveled to the game in Green Bay,†Gannon recalled. “Then he turned around and they were all Packers fans chanting for Tebow.â€"

"When the NFL unveils its new, Nike-produced uniforms in early April in Manhattan, should we expect the Jets’ jersey will have No. 15 on it?"

CLICK HERE FOR FULL ARTICLE

So... Drew Stanton's tenure as Jets backup is less than a week... and he ends up in Indy along with a 7th round pick for a 6th rounder, both in this years draft...

Follow the bouncing (foot)ball here... Manning leaves Indy, lands in Denver; bumping Tim Tebow to New York... bumping Stanton to Indy... LOL

Now, assuming the Colts pick Andrew Luck, is Stanton really a solid enough backup? Are the Colts handing the keys to the kingdom straight to the kid or... More to come, I'm sure... laugh

Jason Reid wrote an interesting column in the Wash Post the other day, about how the "L" in NFL certainly doesn't stand for loyalty....and he made a great point that nobody's mentioned here yet. Tebow's popularity aside, a team dumping a QB who finished 28th out of 34 qualifiers for the league passing title, after 13 starts in 2 years, isn't that unusual.

However, a team dumping a certain Hall of Famer, who's been the face of his franchise for 13 years, with 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 title, 10 playoff appearances, 4 MVPs (a record), 11 Pro Bowl appearances, a .680 W/L %, 11 out of 13 seasons passing for 4,000+ yards (worst ever - 3,739 yards as a rookie......versus Tebow's 1729 yards), after his FIRST injury ever that caused him to miss a game, after 208 straight starts....when they have no guarantee that Luck or Griffin or any draftee is actually going to pan out......seems unconscionable and ridiculous!

Denver management wasn't loyal???.....How about the Colts' management??? (and yeah, Peyton's an "asshole"......based on his wanting to continue to play after multiple surgeries??)

OK... "asshole" might have been a strong term to describe Peyton's actions; now if he never plays a game in Denver I might return to that assessment; but you're right... a guy can't be blamed for wanting to continue playing. If it wasn't Tim Tebow put out of a job by his signing, it would have been someone else; though likely not a guy who had beaten a team of the caliber of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the previous season's playoffs...

When/if Tebow gets to play in New York, his failure or success will also paint a better picture over how smart the Bronco's were.

Paulie - I would feel differently about the Manning situation if he had gotten to the point where he's aging and injury-prone.....I didn't realize that he'd never missed a game with the Colts in 13 seasons. He'll be 36 for the upcoming season, but he's been a model of consistency his entire career, and I think he got treated pretty shabbily, considering all he's done for that team. It's not as if he wanted to leave there. They dumped him, apparently to avoid having to pay him a bonus he had coming. I can't blame him for wanting to go with the best possible team. I think the Colts are robbing Andrew Luck (assuming they draft him) of an invaluable education by pushing Peyton M. out the door. He basically ran their offense....something that Luck certainly won't be ready to do yet.

The 49ers were a viable option for Manning, but I think he wanted to stay in the AFC. Had he signed there, well.....Alex Smith won 2 playoff games last year, and almost a third, and had a Pro Bowl caliber season, yet would have left.

Tebow beating the Steelers....sure, it was impressive, but I remember the likes of Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins and Rex Grossman getting their teams to Super Bowls (and winning them, in the case of Dilfer in Baltimore)....and they got dumped very shortly after, for QBs their teams felt were upgrades. As I stated earlier in this thread, Tebow's moving after 2 seasons in Denver isn't that big a deal in the overall scheme of things to fans who've been following the NFL closely for decades, and know what a harsh business it can be. IMO, the media has made it a lot bigger deal than it should be.

JohnO, one distinction in the difference between Manning displacing Smith instead of Tebow is that Smith was a free agent as well meaning he or his team could choose to go separate ways. Tebow might have had a little say in where he went, but the fact that he was going was a say he had no control over... As it was Smith ended up with a decent raise in the aftermath; though I guess you could make a case that with endorsement opportunities so will Tebow... laugh

John (Florida one... laugh )... I always felt that Quinn would have been more successful than he was; and it could well be that next time he gets a chance, he will succeed.