Not So "Saint"ly Actions

Paulie Mississippi

Apparently the New Orleans Saints were acting as unsaintly as possible these past few years as a huge report has been filed with the NFL recounting some 17,000 violations, most of which deal with a "hit-list" mentality where the team; especially the defense, was paid per injury, knock-out, or cart off caused to other teams...

When I say huge... well, the report is said to be over FIFTY THOUSAND PAGES LONG!!! It covers the past three seasons and there are said to be 25 to 27 players who are in deeeeeep shit over this, suspensions and huge fines are forthcoming... and there is also the expectation that the team will be very severely punished... Some believe it could be the most extreme sanctions ever leveled against a professional team; so as to make certain that no other team is ever willing to risk facing the same punishment.

To be fair, nobody is claiming that other teams have not or are not doing this, but the Saints had the misfortune of being caught...

I had to laugh at the "tweet" that came from Joe Staley of the San Francisco 49'ers...

“Just seeing all the reports about the Saints D. I knew there was something fishy about getting punched in the face during our playoff gameâ€

From the article: The NFL began its Saints investigation in early 2010 after allegations surfaced that quarterbacks Warner of Arizona and Favre of Minnesota had been targeted. After interviewing several Saints who denied the bounty program existed and after the player who originally made the allegations recanted, the league couldn’t prove anything.

However, Goodell said the NFL “recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season.â€

FULL YAHOO ARTICLE HERE

Watch for Goodell to drop a HUUUUGE sanction on the Saints. I say they lose a draft pick or two. I agree paulie.... this goes on in most NFL locker rooms on some level. The NFL's recent stance on concussions and player safety will be scoffed unless a tough punishment comes down.

Ironically, the UFC has ALWAYS paid bonuses to fighters for knockout, submission, fight of the night efforts.

The difference between the NFL and UFC... well, one of them, is that the UFC fighters are individual... and more easily replaceable if they are put out of business... the NFL owners have a ton 'o dough invested, players are part of the picture, and stars are essential not only for contention but for the draw of the fans/viewers... I have to suspect were there not the rumors of the Warner and Favre bounties, there would be little said. QB's are becoming less and less "football players" and more and more "prima dona's"... might as well dress them in tights and tu-tu's as a uniform with pads and a helmet...

You could go back to the year the Bengals made the playoffs and Carson Palmer was knocked out in the first quarter... the Steelers played as "tough" as the Saints have in recent years... and what about the old Raiders? I gotta say that this is really nothing new, and is likely wide-spread. Were it not for a "rat", Goodell would still have no "evidence"... and since when has a league worried about having all it's "facts" in order before issuing a verdict? :yikes:

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Sean Payton, suspended for entire 2012 season. Gregg Williams (that weasel who put a bounty on Kurt Warner's and Brett Favre's heads, among others): suspended indefinitely.

Commissioner Goodell got it right: Bounty programs are "incompatible with our efforts to promote sportsmanship, fair play, and player safety."

Bravo! I'm giving him a standing O. Great job, and good riddance to Willams and (for a year) Payton. And some of those players who were determined to break Favre's ankle in that championship game of 2009 should be hit too.

Just curious to see if Goodell goes back and penalizes Williams' former clubs. He was defensive coordinator in Jacksonville in '08 and Washington from '04 - '08, Buffalo head coach from '01 - '03, and Tennessee's d. coordinator from '97 - '00. So far, I've heard or read about accusations regarding bounties from his Bills and Redskins days. I know that Joe Gibbs gave him total autonomy in Washington as far as the defense, and would be shocked if he didn't have a bounty system there.

Payton will be losing seven million dollars in salary with this one year ban. Also suspended were GM Mickey Loomis for eight games and assistant head coach Joe Vitt for six games. Loomis will be allowed to run the draft, however. The Saints organization has been fined 500k and stripped of their second round draft picks in 2012 and 2013 (they don't have a first this year). Goodell is meeting with the players association to discuss ramifications of suspending players, too!

New Rams coach Jeff Fisher just met the media and said that he was told by the league Williams will be out a "minimum of one year" as his new defensive coodinator.

I agree with you LC.......a strong penalty (even stronger than what I thought would be levied) sending an iron-clad message not to tarnish the good brand name of the NFL. It shows that lying about an offense during an investigation (NFL, Federal, or otherwise) is often times worse than the transgression being investigated (as viewed by the investigator).

I know that MMA fighters (at least Strikeforce fighters) sign a waiver barring lawsuits relating to injury caused within the ring (even illegal hits). Something tells me this incredibly strong punishment by the NFL Commish has quite a bit to do with averting potential personal injury lawsuits against the league as a whole and individual players, coaches or teams by showing how "serious" the league is about a safer workplace. It's bad enough the way the league ignored, until recently, the long-term impact of head-blows on player health.

I still think there are some Personal Injury lawyers salivating over potential cases involving injuries from bounties, or long-term health issues especially if individual teams knew of the bounty practices or the league knew of health studies, yet turned a blind eye.

Wow -- Sean Payton, out $8 million because of his suspension. And now the Saints have to find a coach to come in and do the job for one season, and then turn the reins back over to Payton? Hmmm. That should work out well. :-)

No sympathy here... none at all. In all the years I have watched sports, no single game has ever stung as much as the Favre-led Vikings' overtime loss to the animalistic Saints in the 2009 NFC championship game. Not even the Packers' loss to the Giants in the 2007 game stung as much. After all, there was a world of difference between the way the Giants played (inspired, tough, resilient but clean D in frigid weather) and the way the Saints played (cheap shot after cheap shot in an attempt to "cut the head off the snake," as one Saint defender admitted after the game). So on that pivotal INT that Brett threw late in the 4th quarter, I'll just have to wonder if he might have tried to run if his ankle weren't the size of a [bleeping] BASKETBALL. The Saints had brutalized him and landed on his ankles numerous times; photos of Favre's ankle after the game looked like the thing was broken.

Some of the Saints' cheap shots were penalized; others were ignored. But it didn't matter; by the end of the game, Favre was beaten and battered and limping and gimping. No wonder he trusted his arm more than his legs on that last play....

Damn Saints.

As I added to the Tebow/Manning thread... the league has to be thrilled... and perhaps the timing was not coincidence... as the details of those two quarterbacks in recent days has taken a lot of the thunder from this situation...

Remember when it was said that the league sort of gave the Saints a chance to stop this nonsense... telling them in no uncertain terms there was an investigation and further incidents would not be tolerated? Well, today the league reported that one of the "targets" of bounties was Cam Newton... proving that this stuff was still going on just this past season... Also named as targets that evidence pointed to were Aaron Rodgers as well as Farve and Kurt Warner...

Payton was suspended for lying and for trying to orchestrate a coverup during the investigation... Williams is not suspended but "banned indefinitely"... so he could lose well more than a year; and both men have to worry and wonder... if their "temporary replacements" lead their teams successfully, will they find their positions waiting when they return?

I'm surprised that the commish is discussing with the players union about punishments for the players... wtf? The union is going to try to avoid suspensions and the like, and will defend the players at the ensuing appeals... unless Godell thinks he can get the union to sanction the suspensions and avoid the appeals process... 22 - 27 players involved, you know there has to be serious punishment... the coaches might have lied and/or orchestrated the thing, but it was these animals players who actually tried to seriously injure their opponents...