The 30th anniversary "ROCK SUPER SESSION"

hossy

Wow! hossy!! You are so great!!! heartpump

Quote from "Mararhon Man" p.266~268

"Among the many talented musicians Eric chose to work with on his Tonight

You’re Mine album was drummer Carmine Appice. A fan of Appice’s drumming with Rod

Stewart, the two musicians hit it off from their first meeting and promised to keep in

touch after the recording sessions had ended. Therefore, it came as no surprise for Eric to

hear Carmine on the other end of his telephone line back home in Cleveland in the winter

of 1981. After catching up on old times, including Eric’s recap on his successful tour of

Japan, Carmine popped the question: “Funny you should mention Japan. I’ve got this tour

coming up to promote my new album with gigs in all the major Japanese cities, a bunch

of great players, and everyone gets a spotlight. Tom Petersson and Rick Derringer are all

lined up. We need a rhythm guitarist to complete the band and I thought of you. We may

even play a gig or two in Hawaii on the trip back to the States. What do you think?â€

What did he think? A million thoughts raced through his head, but two kept

popping back into the forefront: he loved Japan and Japan loved him, so only one answer

would do. “I’m in!†he told Carmine. Besides, Hawaii was one of Eric’s favorite places

on earth, and with the harsh winter Ohio was having, any excuse was good enough to find

himself on the beach there. “Great!†Carmine replied, “Rehearsals start in a few weeks in

Los Angeles. See you there!â€

A series of misadventures awaited Eric as he traveled to Los Angeles for

rehearsals beginning with a severe case of bronchitis just as Eric and the band was

departing for Tokyo. He felt terrible, and feared he’d be unable to give 100 percent in

concert. But none of that would compare to what fate had in store for him once the tour

began. Eric, Tom Petersson and Rick Derringer, along with Duane Hitchings on

keyboards, performed a number of Carmine Appice solo songs with Eric playing rhythm

guitar for most of the band’s first performance at Budokan Hall in Tokyo. Eric switched

to piano for two spotlight moments, mesmerizing the crowd with stirring renditions of

“All By Myself†and “Boats Against The Current.†He also played “It Hurts Too Muchâ€

and “That’s Rock ‘N Roll.†Rock Super Session Vol. 1 was a resounding success with five

sold-out shows.

“I got a call from the promoters who wanted to know if I wanted to tour Japan,â€

explains Carmine Appice, “I told them, ‘Sure,’ and they told me to put a band together. I

was already working with Tom Petersson, so I asked him and he said yes. The promoters

originally wanted me to use a Japanese guitarist, but I felt that it would be hard to

rehearse that way, so I suggested that we take an American guitarist. I knew that Rick

Derringer had never been to Japan, so I asked Rick and he agreed. Duane Hitchings was

my musical director, so he had to come. Duane and I played on Eric’s Tonight You’re

Mine album, so I called Eric and asked him if he wanted to join us and he said yes. We

had a good relationship on tour—we were all good friends. The idea for Rock Super

Session was that audiences could see everybody all together in one show. We each

performed a few of our own songs, so it was like seeing five different shows in one

night.â€

The supergroup’s third Japanese show was another sold-out performance, this

time at Festival Hall in Osaka. Two years earlier, Eric had visited the very same

auditorium they were set to play in that city."

to be continued!!!