Ballad of Mott the Hoople

MJ

Ok you Hoople fans I know you are out there. I just received today my dvd copy of The Ballad of Mott the Hoople which I sent for directly from Start Productions. I waited 5 weeks for it to arrive from England, it's an all region dvd which included a Mott poster and some Mott Postcards - but the dvd itself was incredible - lots of live footage I'd never seen, interviews with Ian, Buffin, Verdan Allen, Morgan Fisher, Ariel Bender aka Luther Grovesner, Mick Ralphs.... sadly Overend declined doing any interviews frown Anyway it's about an hour and a half of pure enjoyment for the Mott fans out there. The extras on the disc includes some of the 2009 footage of the reunion 5 date tour (before they did more gigs of course lol).... Bernard - go out and get this baby - Giro - you too! They showed some 16 mm film of the Uris Theater show with the Marionettes dancing in the background - oh HOW I wish my mom would have let me see that show in 1974. Anyway - anyone who likes Mott the Hoople, get yourself a copy - you won't be disappointed!!!

They showed some 16 mm film of the Uris Theater show with the Marionettes dancing in the background - oh HOW I wish my mom would have let me see that show in 1974.

Ha! I was at that show!!! Opening act... Queen, who was playing their first gig in the States smile

Bernie

That WAS a famous show. Remember hearing a lot about it at the time. Two Divine bands. I did see Ian Hunter perform last year an out door concert in Hoboken.I brought my kids, who could take it or leave it. They did like "All The Young Dudes" however and my 15 year old son later downloaded it for his ipod. Were any of you Jersey guys (or gals) there?

For me, it would be more like 'Mott the Who?ple. I don't think I could name one song of theirs without looking it up. Did they chart a top 40 hit in the U.S.?

C'mon Kirk. What the hell were you loistening to in the early-mid 70s?

All The Young Dudes

All The Way From Memphis

The Golden Age Of Rock and Roll

Sweet Jane

Roll Away The Stone

Tommy, I listened to those on youtube, and I liked what I heard- but that was the first time I'd heard most of them, so I looked them up- it doesn't look like they had a top 40 hit in the U.S...I'm a lot like Marvin in that respect- mostly listened to top 40 stations back in the 70's. Sheltered life, I guess grin

I absolutely loved the Mott album - stole it from my brother whenever he wasn't home - I'm A Cadillac ... heh great Mick Ralphs tune.

Don't forget Alice on the Hoople about the hooker - loved that song as well - very Lou Reedish..... Ian is one talented man - Loved his solo album as well.

Only thing that I found sad is that Buffin has been very ill during the reunion tours and could hardly play the drums - I think the original Clash drummer was backing up the band and Buffin only sat in for a few songs. And let's not rule out Ariel Bender - I loved him - he was a real flash guitarist. I never understood the Ronson thing though - it never worked out at all - he releasing Slaughter on 10th Ave at the same time he joined the Hoople on tour - caused much dissention in the band.

Tommy, I listened to those on youtube, and I liked what I heard- but that was the first time I'd heard most of them, so I looked them up- it doesn't look like they had a top 40 hit in the U.S...I'm a lot like Marvin in that respect- mostly listened to top 40 stations back in the 70's. Sheltered life, I guess grin

Oh yeah I devoured Top 40 radio, and it was probably only in the 1980's where I started listening to other stuff. Got heavily into Mott in the early 1990's, and that was primarily due to loving Hunter's solo work.

Raspbernie- Yes, Queen did open for Mott The Hoople on their Broadway gig, but that wasn't their first US show. That would have been a little less than two weeks earlier- April 16, 1974, Regis College Field House in Denver Colorado. I was there.

Freddie Mercury was, to my recollection, visibly nervous that night, but they were incredible all the same. After listening to their first two albums for a year and a half, it was an awsome (and I rarely use that word!) experience to see the people who wrote and performed that astoundingly original music.

We didn't get many chances to see our musical heroes back then. There was no Internet or MTV, though there was a few late night rock shows like In Concert and Midnight Special. It was mostly the record sleeve photos and a few magazines, Creem, Circus and Rolling Stone- when they deigned to come down from their high horse and give mention to one of those "inferior" glam bands.

Mott The Hoople, of course, came out and blew the roof off the place- marionettes and all (and those damned machine guns at the end of "Crash Street Kids"!) One of my best concert experiences ever, from one of the most criminally underated bands of all time.

Madwool,

Yes, of course, you are correct. The Broadway gigs were the grand finale of the Queen/Mott tour that year!

And as you say, it is AMAZING that so many of us got to see so many of our favorite acts back then! I used to devour magazines like Creem and Circus! Then run over to wherever they were selling tickets to shows back then, usually the local record shop. Every seat back then was a "nose bleed" seat. But as soon as the lights went down we hustled to the front of the theatre or arena for better seats. I remember my friends and I would literally leap over barriers to get the best empty seat once the show started. That's how I managed to get such GREAT photos as the one above! Man those were the days.

Bernie

Raspbernie,

Incredible photo! (looks like pro quality) I wish I would have had the presence of mind to do that back then.

I remember paying something like $7.50 general admission for that show (and not one offensive lineman-sized security guard between the audience and the band).

I feel sorry for kids these days for the crap they have to endure just to see a concert (not to mention that the music isn't as good as the stuff from our era- and that's from the mouths of my nieces and nephews who prefer a lot of the older stuff!)

madwool