Eric Carmen- The Real Reason He Doesn't Post

TOMMY TUNES

I don't know any of this for a fact, but I feel Eric is adjusting to being single again and spending time with his kids and sorting though all of the emotions stemming from his divorce and I HOPE he is enjoying his life. If, in all of that, he finds the time to make more music....I am happy for him. Not so that he can record and release it, but because I feel music is a peaceful and therapeutic thing for him.

Or...He might be still reading everything he can get his hands on, trying to find out the true meaning of life before he's too old to enjoy it...like he was doing the last 2 years.

I do hope he's still dabbling in music (His true purpose) along the way.

I think if he was still writing, his lyrics would be as good or better than during the Boats era...the guy is soaking up everything from every angle and I know he could still swirl it around in that genius brain and regurgitate killer words and music...if he put his mind to it!

Can't afford the new rates at Comcast? (after all, who can?)

I don't think there is really a point in speculating, as he's been through alot the past few years, and it's his business when he wants to check in with us. He knows we'll be waiting and happy to hear from him. If he is reading this, know we all want and wish the best for him. Would love some new music, but I still listen to the old stuff, so I'm good.

I have no idea why Eric doesn't post as regularly as he used to, however I will offer an opinion on Eric working on new music.

Using Bruce Springsteen as an analogy, he just released his new single, ("We Take Care Of Our Own"), and I've probably read 100-200 comments on the song. Everything from, "Same old, same old..blah blah..blah" to "It's not as good as (fill in the blank)."

The problem with genius is that you're always expected to exceed previous efforts and come up with something new. Something earth-shattering. A revelation. That's what happens when you set the bar so high that even you have problems reaching it. Similarly, the problem with being a perfectionist is, nothing ever sounds good enough to your ears.

We'd all love Eric to say that he's been spending his time working on music, but there's always the fear of how it will be received. I'm one of the biggest critics here (check previous year's comments on "Winter Dreams"), and sometimes being a genius and a perfectionist carries a lot of weight. Sometimes there is more pleasure received from singing and playing in solitude and not worrying about the opinons of others.

How's this for wild blue speculation...

Eric observed our posts for quite awhile before jumping in. He felt a connection with at least some of us- in a safe haven- EC.com. He must have thought highly enough of our opinions, our intellect- so much so that he shared his deepest thoughts on politics, religion, and anything else of importance to him. He challenged us, and in return, we challenged him. Along the way, we were treated to some great stories about the music business. It was the best of times.

At some point, things started getting repetitive and some feelings got hurt. The board changed. The dynamic changed. Eric's personal situation changed. That's just the way life is.

If we don't hear a lot more from him, it was a fun ride. If we do, well, I'll be right here waiting. History would seem to be on the side of Eric making a comeback. I hope so smile

How's this for wild blue speculation...

At some point, things started getting repetitive and some feelings got hurt. The board changed. The dynamic changed. Eric's personal situation changed. That's just the way life is.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Kirk.

Nice post, Kirk.

:)--D

I agree Darlene, VERRAH nice post! I do believe everything changes, as life is ever changing. As we’ve often stated, this board has ebbs and flows.

“Intellectual foreplay†with the end result of a mutual respect for each other as equals. That’s how I look at the time here with Eric while he shared all of his different thought provoking posts.

My mind was stimulated, my attention was captivated, my thoughts were charged, and my views sometimes, changed. I shivered with antici...pation awaiting his every next post. I found it truly exciting when I had the chance to add a retort, and tried to achieve the same scholarly level of discussion with him, always with the goal of communicating effectively. It was sometimes a tough job for this gal to keep up with all “the big boysâ€, especially on Eric’s level. I’m glad I tried. It was like my birthday and Christmas all wrapped up in one when I had the chance.

As for now, I hope Eric is enjoying all the good things in life, like his kids (being number one), relaxation from stress and perhaps some Hersey’s Kisses. They always can make life...extra sweet!

Maybe he has found some inner peace, after all that has been going on in his life and if that is the case then a lot of times you don't want to hear any background noise. By this I mean talking on the phone , texting , emailing or even posting. All you want to hear is the music of your own inner peace.

Monica