Dating At 50+

ira

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah hell... I'd be remiss if I didn't pitch in here... as I've managed to be a part of the dating scene for every of my decades except my '30's... and I narrowly missed out on that one too...

When you work with the public, you have more options open to you. Of course the internet has been a boon. I've had one long term and a couple of short term relationships with women I met online. When/if everyone is honest and forthright; it can be a wonderful thing. You can work through issues that might "scare off" the wrong person before you even meet... so that those issues don't spoil a relationship after your hearts have begun to have feelings... Of course that includes sex, but does not exclude other things... religion, political affiliations... hell, even your taste in certain musical types/musicians...

But the coldness of the net does not allow for one thing that the personal contact does... Chemistry. Seeing that woman and feeling a lump in your... um... throat... :yikes: or feeling the vibe as you talk and/or flirt... Those things are not as readily available online...

OK... I'm rambling... next? laugh

Tracy...I can assure you that I have the qualities...AND appreciate the qualities in a woman you describe...

Thusfar...(I repeat)...I haven't been out there that long...and IMHO...as my buddy Mel (Curlew) stated...I've really met women who've been a bit "Through The Past Darkly" (Rolling Stones)).

(BTW...No offense taken...TRACY...I WISH THESE LADIES HAD YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR and SENSE OF FAMILY.)

Speaking of "church"... back in the late '80's when I was going to church on a regular basis, one of our older ladies had recently lost her husband... and she placed an ad in what was a predecessor to the match.com of the age... a lonely hearts ad in the back of the National Enquirer! It was almost a scandal when she met "Rocky"... who was a Native American... He moved to our town and married her and they lived happily for several years before he succumbed to cancer... And I remember him fondly... coming to church with his shirt and tie... with the sleeves ripped off... What a character, and what a wonderful couple he and Alice made for those years they had. laugh

Thanks Ira... I've sort of found my philosophy... "Live in the world you wake in each morning... whatever it may be..."

Of course... that's not as much romantic as practical... and having a good time listening to Michio Kaku discuss the "Good Vibrations" that all atoms undergo continually... making it theoretically possible that we could phase into an alternate universe when we sleep... :yikes:

But... that's a topic for another thread... laugh

My earlier post was not meant to insinuate that after so many years in a previous marriage/relationship that families were made and familial relationships cultivated. My point was that many folks , in this long process, unfortunately, lose their own sense of identity and other interests in the years which go by. Yes, by all means, these ties are important, BUT, when that's all that is spoken about, and there is no 'passion' nor 'spark' to the individual beyond that, it's disappointing.

I know what you mean, I think Curlew... Like when a woman who has been married a long time loses the husband... divorce or death, regardless... and lives vicariously through her kids and/or grandkids to sort of keep her family-fantasy alive... even when cultivating a new relationship. Her sense of history and worth was/is tied there and she has difficulty pruning the tree... or sprouting a new set of "roots"...

And no... "pruning the tree" is not a euphanism for "trimming the bush"... :yikes:

I know what you mean, I think Curlew... Like when a woman who has been married a long time loses the husband... divorce or death, regardless... and lives vicariously through her kids and/or grandkids to sort of keep her family-fantasy alive... even when cultivating a new relationship. Her sense of history and worth was/is tied there and she has difficulty pruning the tree... or sprouting a new set of "roots"...

And no... "pruning the tree" is not a euphanism for "trimming the bush"... :yikes:

1. divorce is a choice..death isnt...dont compare the two.

2. stop gushing over bobby vee

3. dont use the word passions so freely...its a turn off

especially when your only passion seems to be gushing

over bobby vee

s-o-l...this isn't men vs. women...you took 3 statements from 3 different people and lectured...No one so far had attacked anyone on the sight...I'm entitled to my opinions and "passions'

Maybe ya gotta look inside a little bit and wonder what's REALLY making YOU so angry confused....Sheesh!

(BTW...Tony brought up Bobby Vee.)

Tracy...We know there is NO context on the internet or in texts...that's the danger...and ya gotta be careful with that...many of us have been hurt at different times on this very site...sometimes intentionally...sometimes not intentionally...as you and I well know.

1. divorce is a choice..death isnt...dont compare the two.

2. stop gushing over bobby vee

3. dont use the word passions so freely...its a turn off

especially when your only passion seems to be gushing

over bobby vee

1. Actually that is a fact that one is a choice and the other isn't, (well...unless you choose to get rid of said spouse by "taking said spouse out" per say and crazy people do this all of the time), but at that same time...not everyone who has lost a spouse to death is upset over it and not everyone who has had a failed marriage is happy over it. A loss is a loss; no matter what...and even marriages that people choose to leave, at times are mourned, it’s just on different levels to some people.

2. It's a "Bromance"..."Man-love" at it's finest! wink

3. LOL!!!