Things I miss...

LobsterLvr

I miss having a pair of those big headphones like the one's I had in the early-to-mid 70's. I miss laying on the floor, balancing the left and right speakers to give me a perfect stereo mix of my favorite music. I'd lay there, staring at the ceiling or at one of my three day-glo posters (The Endless Summer poster, another one with a nude couple in silhouette kneeling, hugging in front of a sunset, and the third was a black light 'zonk' poster.) Some times I'd lay on the floor between two Epicure speakers. "Billion Dollar Babies" was awesome that way. Anything by the Moody Blues was ideal for headphones. The Raspberries were definitely NOT lay-on-the-floor LP's...they were stand-up air-guitar and air-piano kind of songs.

I also miss the feeling of laying in my bed, with a warm radio on my chest, and the glow of the dial providing the only light in the room.

Oh, and I miss my Adidas Vienna's (the white ones with the red stripes), Mission Impossible when Lesley Ann Warren was in it (as Cinnamon!), and eating Wheaties (with four spoonfuls of sugar).

Dave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Topic Dave!

Of course we all miss the obvious..people who have left our lives, etc...

I miss how good summer used to feel.

I wasn't "bothered" by the heat...I wasn't worried about how I looked in a bathing suit or "sun damage" I pursued sun damage!

There were no time contraints.

Summer was just pure freedom.

Going to the pool, hitting the snack bar, Going home & taking a nap because you were tired & sun burnt (burned?)

My house was the "hang house"...My friends & I would sit around the kitchen table (It's an Irish thing) order a pizza & spend the night busting on each other.

The Wildwood boardwalk in Jersey (at that time) was amazing...

Hmmmm.....great topic!

I miss the early 70s when I was a kid and everything was great. Music on the radio...each song was better than the next one!! I miss playing outside with my cousins in the summer until the street lights came on!! I miss our adventures....going to the San Luis Rey river and catching crawdads and then letting them go!! I miss the ease and simplicity of those days!!

I miss those big headphones Dave spoke of!! I also miss radio station KDAY in Santa Monica that I could only hear with a lot of static late on Sunday nights!! I miss the excitement of purchasing the newest album by my favorite artist of that time ELTON JOHN!! Oh yeah, I miss the KTEL and RONCO albums!! They always had something for everyone!

And yes, I miss my family and friends who've transitioned into eternity. I know they are watching and waiting!

I miss those brilliant summer days at Manasquan, Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights, and sneaking under a lifeboat and staying there till dark with good friends...hearing Joey Theismann sing his favorite Beach Boys song, "God Only Knows."

Miss staying at Aunt Reva's and Uncle Steve's on summer weekends, staying up almost all night listening to Jean Shepherd on WLS Chicago with the transistor radio under my pillow, and the great songs on that station.

Miss fun nights at The Osprey and hearing Bruce BEFORE he was famous. Miss clubbing on Route 35 and anywhere else The James Boys played. Miss those long, dreamy nights listening to Everly Bros, The Lettermen and The Association, and later The Beatles, Jake Holmes, Tim Moore, Carole King, Elton John, ELP, The Kinks and Led Zep, not to mention seeing them live.

Most of all, miss Raspberries--running to every show as soon as I found out where they were going to be, with friends or by myself. After that, there wasn't much room on my turntable or in my 8 track player for anything else.

Miss those family beach outings with Aunt Sophie, Uncle Charlie, Cousin Charles and my family to Metedeconk, and the fun we had running around the clubhouse.

And I miss the family and friends who've left us.

Olden, golden days... Ahh, for just a few of them again...

It seems like most of the stuff we miss is 'summer stuff'. With that in mind: I miss watchin Mac's Mob play at the Peppermint Lounge in Salisbury Beach, MA. Nobody did covers of EWF and Tower of Power better than those guys. I miss the smell of my beach towel, and how the sand felt as I played with it laying there tanning my hide. I miss playing square ball (a game drawn in the sand) when the tide was low. I miss seeing Aerosmith play at The Barn in NH (in '71)...and JGeils...and Tavares (all local New England bands). I miss the smell of Loves Baby Soft (the cute girls wore that)....and Windsong (the smart, elusive girls wore that)...and musk (the bohemians wore that...and they scared me!). I miss Piels, Narragasset, and Black Label beers (all 99 cents a six pack!!). Ahhh....good memories.

Dave

Darlene......I forgot "Joey" Theisman grew up in Middlesex County NJ....very cool!

I miss.....

Racing buses by running along Avenue Z in Brooklyn in the warm weather. In winter...we would "hitch" a ride on the back of those buses as they pulled us across the snow.

GIANT neighborhood snowball fights. I mean upwards to 60 kids at a time over several blocks. (The joys of urban upbringing).

Street Roller Hockey where the "boards" were in fact parked cars.

A piping hot slice of pizza, folded and consumed in seconds while walking home to DINNER (LOL) on a cold winter's evening.

WALKING to friends'/neighbors' homes in the area on Christmas Eve. Of course.....having a "cup of cheer" at each place...thus getting a tad sloshy in the process.

Seeing Menorahs in windows...next to homes lit up like the Griswald's house in "Christmas Vacation".

Marshmallows in hot chocolate.

Kissing chapped lips as a teen on the corner. (tryin' to remember how it used to feel when a kiss was somethin' special... cool)

Licking the bowl during the Christmas cookie "bake-a-thons" as a kid. Funny..the raw eggs never made me ill.

Geez I could go on and on.....nice thread!!!

I like that some of these things are seasonal, some are regional, but a lot of them are universal to growing up. I miss…

Body surfing at D & W and going to Tommies afterwards. Laserium at Griffith Park Observatory. Playing Frisbee 24/7. Being able to buy concert tickets at the Greek or Universal in the first 5 rows- without a ticket broker. Tuning in to Dr. Demento on the radio and watching the submarine races at Marina Del Rey. Shooting bottle rockets across the sand dunes at the beach. Thunderstorms in the mountains. Bird’s wings beating on the air.

I miss Christmases past. My grandma's sisters and their husbands would come for dinner and visit. Aunt Kathryn from Cleveland, OH, Aunt Emma from Philly, and Aunt Lollie (Laura) and her husband, Uncle Joe. They've all been gone now since the 1970's but I still think of those good ole days as a little girl seeing my great Aunts. Aunt Lollie and Uncle Joe lived in Long Beach, MD and they'd bring oysters up where my grampa would set a big cold tub with the oysters in and they'd all stand around eating, or should I say, SWALLOWING oysters in the cellar. One time I asked them how they can stand those awful things and they said, you don't chew them, you just swallow them down!

Hey Kirk..I grew up in So Cal too...

I miss taking the #33 bus on Orange Co Transit at age 14 for a 20 min ride to Huntington Beach; then 2 yrs later driving my metallic lime green Dodge Colt with WHITE reclining bucket seats and my 8 track stereo down there..worked nights at a movie theater and played at the beach as often as possible. Body surfing no problem in 68 degree water (couldn't touch it after Gulf of Mex waters)..miss working at Disneyland and doing crowd control for the Main Street Electrical Parade, miss great concerts at the Anaheim Convention Center and Angel Stadium! Miss watching the surfers in full wet suits surfing the early mornings..Tommy's ... In n Out Burger..LOVED Dr. Demento...KMET...KLOS..and later on Mark and Brian in the mornings...and KHJ..the AM home of GATW!!! great place to be a kid. psych

My brother, my father, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Raspberries live performances, my hair. I also miss my years working at Long's Electronic Center in Elizabeth, NJ

Mr. Long was the first Fisher HiFi dealer in NJ, and I had my hands on high-end audio equipment EVERY DAY at work...it was awesome. We could vibrate the showroom windows with incredible sound...much to the dismay of Mr. Long!!!! Great times.

So true, Val. I had the greatest parents in the world, and nobody misses their folks more than I do. I was keeping to the theme of 'things' missed. 'Family' missed would have taken the thread down a whole different road than the one Dave started on.

Speaking of family, please wish Vera a Merry Christmas for me- I don't know if she checks her pm's here too often santa

Hey Kirk..I grew up in So Cal too...

I miss taking the #33 bus on Orange Co Transit at age 14 for a 20 min ride to Huntington Beach; then 2 yrs later driving my metallic lime green Dodge Colt with WHITE reclining bucket seats and my 8 track stereo down there..worked nights at a movie theater and played at the beach as often as possible. Body surfing no problem in 68 degree water (couldn't touch it after Gulf of Mex waters)..miss working at Disneyland and doing crowd control for the Main Street Electrical Parade, miss great concerts at the Anaheim Convention Center and Angel Stadium! Miss watching the surfers in full wet suits surfing the early mornings..Tommy's ... In n Out Burger..LOVED Dr. Demento...KMET...KLOS..and later on Mark and Brian in the mornings...and KHJ..the AM home of GATW!!! great place to be a kid. psych

Jean- I might be a tad biased, but was there any place better to grow up than SoCal? smile

Uhhh...NO... heartpump

Obviously you are still living the good life in Camarillo; Ventura County is BEAUTIFUL...You can see where I live and although Texas is interesting and the people are nice, the summers are long and rough..

BTW..my experience is that people that diss California are people who haven't been there or are just plain jealous (I get alot of crap from people around here because I really miss opening a window!! LOL..) angry

That wasn't a "diss" That was a shout out (jokingly) for Philadelphia....(& I've been to California several times..it's lovely, but I'm not "plain Jealous"..Thanks.)