Has it....

GMan

I remember it as if it were yesterday.... I always went to bed reasonably early because I had to get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work.... I always slept with WPLJ on at night ... I was halfway asleep when I heard it - I sat bolt upright and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm pretty sure it had been snowing that morning going to work - the roads were not even plowed yet - I went into the cafeteria at work to get some hot tea and a bagel and was in shock still - I turned around to the maintenance man who worked there who was my age and we just looked at each other and started talking about it - I felt like a family member had died - after all we all pretty much grew up with him as children with all the music the tv appearances, the Beatles cartoons.... I kept the newspaper that day - still have it. Some things you just can never throw away - like all that brillant music he made. The person in jail - I won't even speak his name - he never deserves any kind of mention.

Monica, I've always loved this song!! I ran out and bought it when it was released!! It is a beautiful tribute to John Lennon. Even though it was written about him, there is so much about it that makes me think of my Dad that I had it played at his memorial service. Of course, in my Dad's case, the "insect that damaged so much grain" was End Stage Congestive Heart Failure and not some crazed fan!! Dad's first name is also John.

Thanks for posting the song!!

John Lennon was my idol. From the first time I saw him on the Ed Sullivan Show on that Febuary night I knew he had something I wanted growing up. The guitar; the boots;the Beatles haircut I had to have it. My older sister would get me Beatles 45's to play on this portable phonograph to keep me from telling she had boys in the house babysitting. Hell they were listing too. I was 7 perfect. When my godparents took me to see A Hard Days Night at the drive-in it was magical.

I was at Capt"n Johns here in Lowell watching Monday Night Football with Marty Meehan and Bob Kennedy when Howard Kosell first said he had been shot. I believe that he was the one that also pronunced him dead a short time later. don't remember. What I do remember is just being numb. I walked back to my apartment and never even felt the cold of that early December night. Just thinking WHY. Who would want to take the life of one the best people on the planet. Anger,rage, disbelief, all just overwhelmed me. So fuckinsenseless.

John Lennon was my idol. From the first time I saw him on the Ed Sullivan Show on that Febuary night I knew he had something I wanted growing up. The guitar; the boots;the Beatles haircut I had to have it. My older sister would get me Beatles 45's to play on this portable phonograph to keep me from telling she had boys in the house babysitting. Hell they were listing too. I was 7 perfect. When my godparents took me to see A Hard Days Night at the drive-in it was magical.

I was at Capt"n Johns here in Lowell watching Monday Night Football with Marty Meehan and Bob Kennedy when Howard Kosell first said he had been shot. I believe that he was the one that also pronunced him dead a short time later. don't remember. What I do remember is just being numb. I walked back to my apartment and never even felt the cold of that early December night. Just thinking WHY. Who would want to take the life of one the best people on the planet. Anger,rage, disbelief, all just overwhelmed me. So fuckinsenseless.

Right On, Mulfreak!!!

Does anyone remember Beatles cards? I still have some. There old and faded now. They still bring back that feeling of looking at them when you were supposed to be sleeping and in bed. The White Album when it came out. I remember my sister bringing it home and the lyrics pamphet;the 4 pictures of them in the jacket. Playing it backward on the turntable. There was between Blackbird and the next song;and the begining of Revolution #9 that said stuff about Paul being dead.PAUL IS ADEAD MAN MISSEM. Hey Bungalow Bill.