My Letter From Scott

blackhawkpat

With all the positive reminiscing in a couple of other threads, I was reading through an old book a friend of mine made for me of EC/Raspberries stuff mainly from the early days of this site. I found a letter that I wrote to Scott McCarl before I even had an email address and had to use a friend's addy to send it. I'd like to share the response from Scott to show what an absolute prince the guy is and what a great sense of humor he has. Just for info's sake, the email addy this was sent from was KARENHAWKS@the internet provider. It sure sounds like alot was in the works at one time....enjoy!

Dear Scott,

I've been a huge fan of yours since the "Starting Over" album and absolutely love your new "Play On" CD that I received last week. My question is how do I get a CD with "This Boy", "Bye Bye Johnny", and "Play On" which I thought were going to be included? "In Love Without A Girl" has become my most listened to cut.

Regards,

Pat Griffin

Scott's response:

Pat,

So which is it---are you Pat Griffin or KARENHAWKS? Are you Pat Griffin by day and superhero KARENHAWKS after nightfall, keeping the Metropolis safe from all who would do harm? Thanks so much for your kind words. It's been alot of fun making Play On and I'm glad I decided to hook up with my old friend Tom and put it out on Titan! records, rather than casting my fate to the wind with a larger and probably uncaring label only in it for profit. To answer your question, This Boy, we decided to release only on the vinyl 45 with Love Without A Girl so it would have something unique about it. Rubinoos backed me up on that one, too. I am already thinking about the next CD however and I think it would make a nice bonus track on that.

Bye Bye Johnny is a Chuck Berry song that Wally and I used to sing live and I wanted it on there BAD, but the master tape (Cleveland Agora jan 75) could not be found. I bet it's there in the Agora vault--they taped YEARS of shows by all kinds of name artists--but I'd have to go back there myself, with help to dig it out, which I may do, once again, for the next project. It's a smokin' track!

And last, Play On itself was never meant to be on the CD. Capitol would probably not allow me to include it. But, that brings me to my last point....I'll be appearing in LA on February 7 as part of a pop fest called Poptopia and I've plans to do it in the show, which will be recorded. So, maybe THAT will find its way onto CD.....anyway, if you happen to live in California, get back to me and I'll give you specifics on the gig--I hear there may be some pretty well known rockers stopping by....guess we Raspberries didn't realize the impact our records would still have over 20 years later!

Write again sometime,

Scott

01/08/98

Cool, huh?

RaspBen said:

How cool is that , he sounds like a real genuine guy. I loved his voice especially on Play On. Did you keep up the emails or was that the only one?

I emailed/conversed with him a bit over the years, not much though, didn't want to abuse it, and was fortunate enough to meet him shortly after this when he and Wally played at a CD party for The Drysdales in Illinois. Even got to share a few pops together that night, but I haven't heard from him since the start of the reunion shows. I was very disappointed to miss the Cleveland show a few weeks ago, but I really hope he continues to play OUT again soon. Can't tell you what an impact that CD made on me when I was going through some issues back then. I used to have a fifty mile one way drive to work and listened to it virtually every morning in the car for months.

blackhawkpat said:

Bye Bye Johnny is a Chuck Berry song that Wally and I used to sing live and I wanted it on there BAD, but the master tape (Cleveland Agora jan 75) could not be found. I bet it's there in the Agora vault--they taped YEARS of shows by all kinds of name artists--but I'd have to go back there myself, with help to dig it out, which I may do, once again, for the next project. It's a smokin' track!

Oh well, better late than never, right?

RASPBERRIES — BYE, BYE, JOHNNY

Bernie

Nice find, Pat. My experiences with Scott have also been very pleasant. He comes off as a very humble and sincere person. When I conducted the interview with him seven years ago, I sent it back to him via email, and he sent me additions in a letter - yes, one of those things that come through the mail.

Bernie, my friend, I love when you pull rabbits out of your hat! A "rockin' little number," as they say....

PS: If I were to mention that I love rare versions of "Boats Against the Current," would that result in any, er, rabbits?

PPS: Pat, what a great exchange with Scott. I love it! He's clearly a class fella. We've got to get him into our Raspberries Baseball League... or Football, or Hockey....

Thanks for sharing this, Pat. And thanks for the cut, Bernie. Great stuff. Yes, Scott was always a great guy. He was friendly and always spoke to me at Raspberries shows. Years later, I wrote him for some advice on copyright when I had an unfortunate experience and he not only replied, but sent me a wealth of material that helped me significantly. His genuine friendliness, warmth and sincerity was reflected in his letter, which I still have.

A truly fantastic guy.

:)--Dar

Around the same time as Pat's letter, I had a similar experience with Dave. I had not met him (that would not happen until the reunion shows), yet he wrote me a hand written letter that was warm and funny. Oh, and he signed my Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame postcard- his was the last of the 6 Raspberries signatures I needed, and the only one that I or my close friend had not gotten in person.

He relayed a funny anecdote from the Coliseum concert about Cher checking them out from the side of the stage...he closed the letter with 'watch out for El Nino' (I seem to remember it rained a lot that year). Very nice of Dave to make a fan feel like an old friend!