FAVORITE western tv series

Brian Mc Carthy

Chuck Connors was another one of those celebrities that settled into the Tehachapi area...he lived in Bear Valley Springs. One time we ended up at a party that Chuck was having, and let's just say that after a few drinks he was an INTERESTING character- nothing like the Dad he portrayed on The Rifleman!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonanza was and still is my favorite TV western. I watch it nearly every day on TVLand during my lunch break. I like the first 5 seasons the best...when Pernell Roberts (Adam) left the show, it just took something away that couldn't be substituted.

Alias Smith & Jones was my favorite. I think I was only 10 when it was on. I had a crush on Pete Duel. A couple of months ago I bought a set of DVD's of the whole series. It was only 3 seasons long. I thought it was on longer than that.

It was funny because when I started watching the episodes I remembered them and it didn't seem like it was 40 years ago that I watched it.

Didn't Peter Duel commit suicide shortly after the show went off the air? I remember thinking how sad it was..he was a young and good-looking guy. So much living was ahead of him.

More evidence we have similarities....I loved Big Valley, I loved catching it after school, have recorded a few episodes from Me TV, and yeah, as a kid I dug Linda Evans on Big Valley, probably she at that age was one of the most beautiful women the human race has produced!..

My favorite though was Gunsmoke...."

I never watched a lot of Gunsmoke until recent years, and it is indeed very well done. I'd rank it in my "big three" with Big Valley and Bonanza.

The thing I think I liked about Big Valley when I was a kid was that the characters — especially Nick Barkley and Heath Barkley — were a little more rough-hewn than the Bonanza boys. And Jared (sp?) Barkley, the lawyer, threw a few punches, too, when he wasn't outsmarting the outlaws. I think if they were to brawl in a saloon, the Barkleys would probably have beat up Adam, Hoss, and Li'l Joe.

Not sure that the matriarch, Victoria Barkley, could handle Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene), however, but she'd give him a good run. Maybe if Linda Evans helped out... mad Those Barkley women were scrappy and tough!

(Actually, that would have been a nice western to follow up the end of both series: Victoria weds Ben Cartwright, and they have all those grown-up kids running one ranch, a la The Brady Bunch. haha )

I never watched a lot of Gunsmoke until recent years, and it is indeed very well done. I'd rank it in my "big three" with Big Valley and Bonanza.

The thing I think I liked about Big Valley when I was a kid was that the characters — especially Nick Barkley and Heath Barkley — were a little more rough-hewn than the Bonanza boys. And Jared (sp?) Barkley, the lawyer, threw a few punches, too, when he wasn't outsmarting the outlaws. I think if they were to brawl in a saloon, the Barkleys would probably have beat up Adam, Hoss, and Li'l Joe.

Not sure that the matriarch, Victoria Barkley, could handle Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene), however, but she'd give him a good run. Maybe if Linda Evans helped out... mad Those Barkley women were scrappy and tough!

(Actually, that would have been a nice western to follow up the end of both series: Victoria weds Ben Cartwright, and they have all those grown-up kids running one ranch, a la The Brady Bunch. haha )

I think "Miss Kitty" aged... shall we say "softer"... than a wome in her profession in that era might have...

Regarding the "blending" of Bonanza and The Big Valley... Don't you think there's have been some fights between the boys of each as the Cartright boys kept trying to score with Linda Evans?

And what are we gonna call this hybrid? The Big Bonanza? Bonanza Valley? laugh

Hey, I like "The Big Bonanza"! That's awesome, Paulie. "Here's the story of a Valley ranch mom, who was bringing up three very rugged boys..."

And in keeping with The Brady Bunch, there's even an "Alice" element: Both shows had servants/butlers, right?

Nobody could whip Hoss! He may have been a gentle giant, but when it came time to restore law and order...look out!

I dunno, Kirk. Don't you think Nick Barkley was just short-tempered and out-of-control enough to take down the big man? Hoss was stronger, but a rageful Nick might sneak in a few punches while Hoss was still winding up.

Alright, LC, I'll write the screenplay for this one...

Nick is out of control and whooping on Little Joe. Hoss, who's in town for supplies, hears the dust up and tries to reason with Nick, who tells Hoss to mind his own business. Hoss tells Nick that Little Joe is his business and steps in front of Little Joe.

Nick gets the drop on Hoss, but, since this is the golden (or is it silver?) age of television, the writers make sure that righteousness wins out, so Hoss picks himself up, dusts himself off, and with one right hand sends Nick spiraling into a water trough.

Hoss puts his arm around little Joe as they head back towards their horses. Cut to commercial.

Feel free to write your own grin

"The Wild, Wild West" was a really cool show back in the late 60's, but I don't consider it a true western because it was really a fantasy show that was set in the 1880's out west.

They had a similar show in the 90's that paired a cowboy/agent with a sidekick, called "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr."

It had alot of sci-fi anachronisms like Wild, Wild West. The star, Bruce Campbell, was good in the role.

If you wanna go waaaay back... I remember our local station played old westerns... back in the '60's, when hardly anything was old... So after the news and before prime-time, we'd be treated to rebroadcasts of "Death Valley Days" or "Tales of Wells Fargo"... and of course the afore-mentioned "The Rifleman"... in those days, I had yet to usurp my parents control over the dial :yikes: and I remember we'd watch Bonanza and The Virginian every week... but my folks did not enjoy or watch The Big Valley or Gunsmoke. Nevder could figure out why... but then, why do I love NCIS but could care less about NCIS: Los Angeles? I do remember that there was one western that Mom loved and Dad was indifferent to, and that was The High Chapparal... Still don't know why... laugh

I suppose someone ought to speak up for the Saturday morning TV contingent. I spent a lot of time watching Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys, suitably accompanied by Dale Evans (Queen of the West, obviously), Trigger, Bullet, Pat Brady, a Jeep, etc. Everybody got into the act on this one. Of course,if you were looking for something a little more modern but still with that good ol' western flavor, there was the always entertaining Arizonan, Sky King. He was a southwestern rancher whose Bovine interests always played second fiddle to helping the local sheriff round up all manner of varmints ans weasels, marching them off to the local hoosegow. In keeping with the times, Sky shunned the typical and traditionally faithful hay burner of yore, opting instead for a sleek, Cessna 310B, the Songbird. This enabled him to head the vermin off at the pass faster than a horse ever could. He was often assisted by his accident prone and gullible, niece and nephew, a mixed blessing if ever there was one. Without fail, the criminal element was conveniently dispatched within twenty-two minutes, the rest of the allotted half hour slot given over to brainwashing the youthful audience, courtesy of the folks at Nabisco. Very effective advertising. To this day, I can't leave an Oreo unmolested.

Sadly, Kirby Grant, the actor who played Sky King and a great sponsor of children's charities, was killed in a car crash. He was on his way to Cape Canaveral where he was to be honored by the astronauts (who were fans) and watch their launch in the shuttle, Challenger.

Hwyangle

Sometimes grief is accompanied by other feelings that are hard to deal with when there is a suicide. I cannot speak for Ben and Sally but perhaps they needed time to come to terms with their feelings. It seems selfish but having had a friend who left this life in the same manner I can say that the feelings of those left behind can be confusing and temporarily unbearable.

On the other hand they may have had other reasons. Unfortunately staying away doesn't help those who need support from friends and family members.

Belle

YOUR point of view BELLE is very well stated, i would think that they probably did eventually regret not going to the funeral of their friend. WHEN Ben got the news of the TRAGIC death of PETE DUEL, he said i KNEW that SOB would do this sooner or later. AND SALLY was mad at what he did, by taking his own life.TO YOUR POINT, people do process grief differently,in order to minimize the pain if at all possible. BUT STILL they should of went, it would of meant alot to PETES family. The sister of Pete duel spoke of this in the book. BEN also said that PETE would always get upset when he heard sad news,of any kind. HE once became very upset hearing about a beached whale. PETE had a golden heart, and the pictures in the book speak a thousand words. There is one with his arm around his Grandma, BOTH with the biggest smile and another with PETE and his girlfriend playing with a little kitten.

Not that it makes my list, but... can "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" be considered a "western"? :yikes:

And... does anybody besides me remember "Barbary Coast?" It was on in '75 or so... with William Shatner and Doug McClure and also featured Richard "Jaws" Kiel... laugh

yes Barbary was on in 75 for only a dozen episodes, so if ya blinked ya missed it....