Raspberries Hockey League (Fantasy)

blackhawkpat

Kim: Glad to see you got some of your favorite guys, especially Ryan Miller, who, I think, is a great goalie, and my daughters think is "hot".

Pat,

You'll have to get your girls some Ryan Miller wallpaper for their computers. I found this. He looks a little... disturbed and dark to me, but to each her own! :-)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The season officially starts tonight, so even though Monday is traditionally a light night for hockey, make sure all your available players are in active spots or their stats won't count! Good luck and good health to all!

This is exciting! After 20 years of playing roto-baseball and football... my first hockey game. And I'm still trying to pronounce the names of several of my players....

• 4 months later...

FIrst week of playoffs ends on Sunday.... Pat and Lew Bundles got first-round byes so are awaiting the winners of series of two different series: Marv vs. me and Vox! Pop (Tom, aka Keith Nivan) vs. Rock'n'Ice (MissM).

Marv and I are tied at 4 in our series, headed into tomorrow's games; he gets the tiebreaker so will advance if the score stays 4-4. Either way, it's been a FUN season! I've really enjoyed it. Thank you, BHP, for being such a great commissioner. And thanks to all who played.

PS: I read through this thread, starting w/ p. 1, and it's interesting to see the league's "humble beginnings" last fall.

Thanks for your comments, LC. I re-read the thread and we moved pretty fast to get this going, but it all worked out. I think everyone enjoyed it, even if they weren't familar with some of the names, it's still fun to play and be the GM. That being said, Vox just beat me to the punch on a sleeper name I was looking at! LOL

Our championship playoffs continue, but I just noticed that Yahoo is having consolation playoffs this week for anyone who missed the playoffs for placing. I always hate this feature with Yahoo, as some years they have them, some years they don't, and we never have any idea until they magically pop up. Like, why didn't they start last week instead? We have always had a "gentleman's agreement" that teams in the consolation rounds don't take free agent players unless they have injuries.

I'm ill right now, after having to release my favorite player, Jonathan Toews, who hopefully, will be back for the NHL playoffs, but is out for the rest of ours with a concussion. I've been playing shorthanded for weeks, hoping for his return, but he has to skate for five days before he can even try to return to practice and then he would need a few of those before returning to game action. Hitting the button literally hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Our first-ever Carmen Cup hockey title is playing out right now. Lew Bundles and Marvin are engaged in a knock-down, drag-out, fists-flying, stick-swinging, bloody mess of a battle at the Virtual Raspberries Rink. It looks like Lew has a slight lead, 5-3, but there are NHL games going on now and tonight at 8 that will determine whether he holds on or Marvin slides by. It appears as if the only contested category is Goals Scored. Lew has a one-goal lead at this writing; if Marvin ends up winning the category outright, they'll be tied at 4-4, and I believe Marvin gets the tie-breaker based on their head-to-head play this year (Commish Pat, correct me if I'm wrong!)

Either way, before the clock strikes midnight tonight, Lew or Marv will be raising and drinking from the Carmen Cup.

In action right now for Bundles:

Brad Marchard of the Bruins (@ NY Rangers)

Ryan McDonagh of the Rangers (vs. Bruins)

Goalie Jonas HIller (vs. Oilers) tonight at 8.

For Marvin:

Milan Lucic of the Bruins (@ NY Rangers)

Tyler Seguin of the Bruins

Jordan Eberle of the Oilers (@Anaheim)

A nail-biter....

Congrats to Lew Bundles on winning the first ever Carmen Cup in the Raspberries Hockey League, beating Marvin in the finals, 5-3. I took third, topping Tom (Keithnivan) VOX in the consolation bronze medal game, 8-0.

My team that won the regular season title by 29 points and completely choked in the playoffs, blowing a 5-2 lead to Marv last Sunday and lost 4-2. Our mantra will be "one bad day, one bad day, one bad day" all summer.

Thanks to all who played and I hope everyone returns next season!

Congrats to Lew Bundles on winning the first ever Carmen Cup in the Raspberries Hockey League, beating Marvin in the finals, 5-3. I took third, topping Tom (Keithnivan) VOX in the consolation bronze medal game, 8-0.

My team that won the regular season title by 29 points and completely choked in the playoffs, blowing a 5-2 lead to Marv last Sunday and lost 4-2. Our mantra will be "one bad day, one bad day, one bad day" all summer.

Thanks to all who played and I hope everyone returns next season!

And thank you, Commissioner Pat, for getting the league set up and having it run so smoothly. As you mentioned in an earlier post, I called you last fall and said I'd love it if you started a hockey league — I just wanted to learn a little more about the game. You did a masterful job of recruiting, setting up stats that the neophytes among us could "get," posted some really insightful stuff about the game, and made it fun. Your team certainly deserved a title, but as we know, fantasy sports can sometimes be really fickle. That's not to take anything away from Mr. Bundles. I'm happy for Lew that he's now guzzling champagne out of the Carmen Cup. Lew, way to go! And I'll point out that this wasn't a case of someone backing into a title: Lew WORKED his team over all season, making 74 moves (second only to Pat's 78).

Kudos and a pat on the back to all the other managers, too:

* Marv (who came so close to a title)

* VOX POP leader Tom (aka Keith Nivan, the man of many names)

* Queen Marlene and her Desperate Fools

* Harry Tiggsherby and his Fly Guys

* Paulie Mississippi and his always-Great Expectations

* Miss M Miriam and her Rock'n'Icers

Let's do it again next year! And maybe we'll get some expansion going... 12 teams?

Thanx for the congrats... I had a lot of fun playing this...I actually listened to the Edmonton-Anaheim radio broadcast(via computer) to root my team in...It seems, though, that Marvin wasnt available this week and didnt make any moves to help out his cause and made my "sweatin' it out" less smelly...Now, if I could only get my Nascar guys to drive a little faster and stop Tunes from sending me(unfair) trade offers every second...

Thanx for the congrats... I had a lot of fun playing this...I actually listened to the Edmonton-Anaheim radio broadcast(via computer) to root my team in...It seems, though, that Marvin wasnt available this week and didnt make any moves to help out his cause and made my "sweatin' it out" less smelly...Now, if I could only get my Nascar guys to drive a little faster and stop Tunes from sending me(unfair) trade offers every second...

Seems like the one time I didn't make any changes was the time I should have made changes! Oh well. Congratulations Lew, and thanks to everyone who participated, and to Pat and LC for organizing.