Cost of College

Carol in Pgh.

Guest Rachan

I feel your pain Carol!!

I work at a University part time. My husband & I decided that we wanted me to spend as much time with our daughter as possible.

Our daughter is 13 now.

If I can land a full time position & hold it for 3 years before she starts college,The university will contribute 40% of whatever their tuition is at that time (1 year now is $37,500...so 40% of that...) towards any other college.

If I get my 3 years & she is accepted at UPENN, they will pay 75% of her tuition..(VERY difficult to get in,so unlikely)

There are always hidden fees,books,& right now 11,500 if they live in a dorm. God knows what it will be in 5 years.

Whatever I can get for her.I'm Taking!!! The cost is almost obscene.

I have all three in. My youngest will be living in an apartment on campus at Pittsburgh Technical Institute. For two years (books, supplies, education and apartment) for an associates degree it is $62 thousand for two years. I have another son who attends PITT for a Bachelor's in computer science and wants to go onto a Masters and PhD in computer engineering; my daughter attends Duquesne University for a Bachelor's in marketing and Italian. All three will graduate in 2013. Cha-Ching!

Guest Rachan

OUCH!!!

The boy is responsible for his own masters etc....you are providing the foundation.

We are still paying on my stepsons college. (Maybe 2 more years)

I Hope to help rachel with whatever the university will assist me with, but I also expect her to earn scholarships thru academics & sports.

I also expect her to work while in school.

(I'm getting ahead of myself!)

It's nice that you work hard on behalf of your children.

(Don't forget the ol' "If mama ain't happy,ain't nobody happy" saying...Treat yourself occasionally)

The best gift I can give to myself is making sure my children have a better head start in life than what I had. I don't have much and earn very little, but I will sacrifice anything I need (except for health) and want to make sure they do have the best foundation possible. That's why I clean houses and bake cakes on the side...to earn a bit extra to help out where I can. I love them so much and want to see them accomplish great things. Whatever it costs me, it will be worth it!

Carol and Tracy, it might be prudent to teach your kids the old adage

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

You are both "giving" them a foundation and what they will do with it is up to them. Hopefully, they will repay each of you by living lives of which you can be proud.

Guest Rachan

Miriam

I am in complete agreement.

I VERY much agree with the saying "life is 20% what you are dealt & 80% what you make of it"

As I said...I expect scholarships & hard work...she is fully capable of both.

BUT..I will set her (hopefully) on the right path & assist where ever I can, because that's what I signed on for smile