2011 MLB Postseason Predictions

TOMMY TUNES

At least Maddon's job is safe, even if the Rays lose today. Girardi, I'm not too sure about if the Yanks lose.....

If so, then in 4 years, he's gone from not making the playoffs ('08) to winning it all ('09), to making the ALCS ('10), to being eliminated in the first round ('11). Those aren't exactly steps in the right direction since '09.....and that's exactly what got Torre canned. Plus, Girardi will forever be second-guessed for perhaps going into the tank in the last Tampa Bay series in the regular season, seemingly killing any momentum the team could have had going into the post-season.

Personally, I think Joe G. did about the best he could in getting 97 wins out of Colon, Garcia, Martin, Nova, etc., considering the age of the team. But I'm not Yankee upper management.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I sit, the Rays are on the verge of being eliminated... last team in the playoffs, first team out; thanks to playing all day games to accomodate the "more important" markets who had teams in the night contests...

You gotta tip your cap to the Rangers... Adrian Beltre with 3 dingers... Ian Kinsler leading off with one...

OK... OUR Rodriguez just walked... 1 down in the 9th and one on, down by 2... a glimmer of hope, but still a long shot... Rays fans are trying to rally their troops...

Meanwhile the Brewers and Diamondbacks are about to start, might be Arizona's last game of the day as well... Base hit by Kochman, Rodriguez scores... maybe... maybe...

Matt Joyce at bat now... hitting 9th today but one of our few "power guys" over the course of the season... can another miracle happen at the Trop?

Elliot Johnson running for Kochman... Desmond Jennings on deck...

Phillies and Cardinals are the next game, my bad... they're the only series guaranteed to go on to tomorrow... Cliff Lee is not pitching like Cliff Lee of old in the playoffs...

Joyce pops out in foul ground... Jennings up; had two homers yesterday; can he hit one now?

Regardless, it's been an incredible ride for what was to be a "rebuilding" year... Just hoping there's a "Game 5"... One ball and one strike... Nolan Ryan looks a bit nervous in the stands... strike two called...

Jennings grounds out... Rays go home, Texas waits to face either the Tigers or Yankees... frown

I'm with John, Paulie. I thought maybe The Rays had that mojo going for this season. And please don't ask me why...I may be nuts...and I may be the only person in the universe who feels this way...but I have a gut feeling A.J. is gonna pitch his ass off and get the game to the Yankee bullpen. Like I said...it is just a gut feeling....his numbers certainly don't warrant this,but I think he will come through. I had this gut feeling 2 weeks ago when I was telling some friends that I thought The Oakland Raiders were going to kick the New York Jets asses. They said I was nuts...and you know what? The Raiders kicked their ass. Who knows??

Got asked to put in my predictions, which is kind of like playing the lottery AFTER the numbers are pulled, but I'll write what I expected to happen.....

Tigers over Yankees in four

Rays over Rangers in three (yeah, that won't be happening!)

Brewers over Dbacks in three

Cardinals over Phillies in five

Tigers over Rays in six

Brewers over Cardinals in six

Tigers over Brewers in five

I picked the Tigers over Yankees in the series.

Rangers over Rays. Texas is one of the most consistent teams to watch.

I liked Milwaukee before the season began, but not a great team.

If Phillies make it into the world series, they are struggling in hitting.

I'm looking to see the Texas Rangers in the world series.

But, Phillies could be there.

Giro - You sure hit the nail on the head about AJ tonight!. . . . although things looked very shaky at first, he settled down, and just left in the 6th after giving up just 1 run. What a frustrating pitcher he is - with that stuff, he's capable of doing this every start - so how come we only get to see it 5-6 times per year at most? Oh well, it's in their bullpen's hands now. . . . .

Paulie - Just read an on-line article where the Rays owner Sternberg is b*tching about how something's going to give in Tampa if attendance doesn't start picking up there. This is their 4th winning year there, including 3 playoff berths, but they couldn't sell out today's game there. (Article does mention in passing that the owner cut the team's payroll from $71M in '10 to $41M this past year, giving the team the 2nd lowest payroll in MLB.)

If he's gonna "do something" he better do it before they get a new stadium built...

Though I do agree that it's pretty freakin' sad when you can't sell out a playoff game... I remember a few years back the team was moving their games vs. the Rangers to Disney's ballpark in Orlando, in part because Texas was not a draw in Tampa... and in part because they wanted to grab some of the Orlando area people into their fan base...

I know it sounds trite, but I've always said that if an owner can't afford to field a competitive team... one that is competitve financially as well as between the lines... he should not own a team. Maybe Sternberg needs to sell... I think Mark Cuban is still looking for a way into MLB... laugh

"....if an owner can't afford to field a competitive team... one that is competitve financially as well as between the lines... he should not own a team."

No argument from me on this. To me, perhaps the saddest thing about MLB these days is the way that some once-proud franchises have seemingly fallen into disarray, and for very long periods of time - Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati (last year aside), Kansas City, the Cubs, etc.

I'm with John, Paulie. I thought maybe The Rays had that mojo going for this season. And please don't ask me why...I may be nuts...and I may be the only person in the universe who feels this way...but I have a gut feeling A.J. is gonna pitch his ass off and get the game to the Yankee bullpen. Like I said...it is just a gut feeling....his numbers certainly don't warrant this,but I think he will come through. I had this gut feeling 2 weeks ago when I was telling some friends that I thought The Oakland Raiders were going to kick the New York Jets asses. They said I was nuts...and you know what? The Raiders kicked their ass. Who knows??

Rothschild fired as pitching coach, replaced by Giro for the rest of the playoffs! Hey, Gman, tell me when you get a feeling I should play the lottery!

The Red Sox might have missed the post season, but not Terry Francona! He's been hired to replace Tim McCarver for the first two ALCS games while McCarver recovers from a medical procedure... Tim is expected back for Game 3, but it is possible that the Red Sox (ex) manager will be the only person from the top-3 AL East teams making it to the second round of the playoffs!

Yes, to honor my friends who supported my Rays, I am hoping and rooting for the Yankeees to win tonight... but the irony of neither Tampa or New York being in the games that Francona call... too freakin' funny!

Paulie - While we Yankees fans appreciate your rooting, it'll do little good tonight, since they play tomorrow!

P.S. Is being hired to announce playoff games really the same as "making the playoffs"? Even if it is. . .. .is Francona still employed by the Red Sox, or has he resigned? Not sure. . .

Sh*t! Why is Girardi doing his pitching-by-committee schtick in the most important game of the year??? This crap worked one time out of three the past couple of weeks.. . . . . (It would still be 2-0 now in the 4th had he left Nova in. If Fister's on the rest of the night, it won't matter anyway.)