"Big Time Wrestling" Back In the Day

Keith Nivan

Back before cable TV, the WWF and Hulk Hogan and friends nationalized the business, professional wrestling was an intensely regional "sport".

Pro wrestling was a TV programmer's dream come true: a camera, a ring, a couple of sandlot field bleachers, a few packs of Cub Scouts and you had a show!

Usually on Saturday night. Usually at dinnertime. Usually on UHF. (The channels with the big numbers.)

What was the pro wrestling scene where you grew up?

In Cleveland circa 1970 I recall:

*** "Big Time Wrestling" was on WUAB, Channel 43

*** They played "Classical Gas" as the theme music

*** Johnny Powers was the ultimate good guy

*** Bulldog Brauer (The Man of the Hour) was the ultimate bad guy

*** Then Johnny snapped and became a REALLY Bad Guy, beat the crap out of Bulldog Brauer and they played Bulldog for sympathy

*** Bobo Brazil -- he of the "Coco Butt" head butt fame

*** Pampeiro Firpas -- the Wild Bull of the Pampas, and Bobo's continent neighbor, I presume

*** When one of the stooge / loser wrestlers got kicked in the groin, the announcer would intone, "That's gotta hurt."

Why / how I recall all this: I have no idea.

What am I forgetting about Cleveland?

What was the scene in your town?

Wrestling was so much simpler back then . . .

"Keith"

• Like 1

Ahhh... those were the days...

mid-70's "Florida Championship Wrestling"

Announcer: Gordon Solie

Main stars included Jack Brisco (World's Champion), his brother Jerry; Mike Graham and his father, Eddie; Steve Kiern, Dusty Rhodes (who was still a "bad guy" in the attatched video), Pak Song (part of Gary Hart's "army"), Dory Funk, Jr. and his brother Terry; Don "The Magnificent M" Morocco, Killer Karl Cox, Olie Anderson, Barry Windam... and a lot of comers and goers... laugh

That was Bulldog "Brower", by the way, not "Brauer".

Hell, everyone watched rasslin' back in the day......except, I guess, Tony, who was busy, to use Tracy's words, knitting doilies, and (in his own words) listening to songs that actually make you feel like you're swaying back and forth in a boat....

When my husband & I got married in 1985, he was a big wrestling fan, so I sat and watched it too. I soon became as excited about it as he was. However, being the naive woman I was and not understanding a lot about wrestling, I really pitied George the Animal Steele. I really thought he was the pitiful person he portrayed to be till my husband read that he had been a college professor and was the actual father of Miss Elizabeth! That just blew me away. crazy