My Photography... if Anybody Wants a Peek

Paulie Mississippi

Not that I'm of the talent of some of our fellow members who are professional, but I've started being more serious about my part-time hobby... equipped with a new camera I have begun pursuing my quirky taste... railroad photography. Though I am also shooting some portraits for friends, mostly I'm into things that do not create pressure to be perfect. 'Cause God knows I ain't... (a few of you might have guessed that as well...)

Anyway... I opened an accound at DeviantArt... sort of fits my personality...

MY DEVIANT ART PAGE

Thanks Carol. All it takes is 1 part decent camera... 1 part good subject... 1 part luck... like most things, if you take the time to do it you are sometimes pleasantly surprised with the results. laugh

Seriously, the continued developments in digital photography... with no costs for film development... you can literally shoot a thousand pictures hoping for that one good one... and like they say, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then..."

Paulie, Congratulations on your amazing photogaphy! You have, as photographers say, "a good eye," and are loaded with talent!

Thanks so much for sharing your work!

Beautiful photography! I'd say this is more than just a passing interest. You were obviously born to do this.

:)--D

Good stuff, Pauli. We were in Filmore for a balloon race a couple of weeks ago. Filmore is a good railroad town...I shot a pic of this particular train, which is one I've liked since I was a kid. I know there's a few more RR buffs on board:

Good stuff, Pauli. We were in Filmore for a balloon race a couple of weeks ago. Filmore is a good railroad town...I shot a pic of this particular train, which is one I've liked since I was a kid. I know there's a few more RR buffs on board:

Very cool pic Kirk. I've been a railroad buff for as long as I can remember. Anything to do with it; trains, tracks, crossing signals, old stations... love the stuff. I'm really thrilled with how my new camera is performaing and happy that I'm living in an area with so many photo opportunities within driving distance. laugh

I'm hoping to shoot a bunch today and then find a few worthy of sharing later tonight or tomorrow.

paulie...Your stuff is incredible...

...(and Oh BTW...I have it from good sources that canadianchick loved the spelling of "favourites" at the bottom of the page...it enhanced her enjoyment of what was already a GREAT group of photos.) wink

There was a guy who lived in Tehachapi and worked for Southern Pacific for 40 years...had a collection of signals in his backyard. Huell Howser did a show on it (#104 I believe). Most of them have been moved to the Tehachapi depot. If you like train signals, here's a few:

Shot a few more nice pictures today, hope to have a couple of them loaded soon.

Over the years I've had the pleasure to see some things that I wish I had on film digital file.

When I was in Kenya back in '07 I had the pleasure of being part of an unofficial private tour that was procurred for us by our guide through a small bribe bit of negotiation with au unnamed official... of the National Rail Yard just outside Nairobe. There was some cool stuff around there... old engines, old passenger cars, old freight cars... did I mention old? That was the key... the most modern stuff they had seemed to be from the '50's at newest... much of it was being refurbished... or waiting to be refurbished... I did have some low-quality pics (regretably I did not have my good camera, it was a surprise visit, and it was a cloudy day... not a good mix for photography... plus I had to promise not to post the photo's anywhere else I risk the lives of those who let us in... Easy promise to keep since I lost the pictures...)

Another time was just after I got out of the Navy. There was an old Naval Weapons Station just outside Charleston... it had been virtually abandoned after World War One... when it had been a grenade factory if memory serves... Sixty some years later, when the Navy decided to turn the property into a new "Brig" and also turn the base into an electronics facility... they discovered two intact freight trains that had been abandoned when the base was "mothballed"...

Nature had reclaimed much of the land... so much so that the only way to remove the train was by crane... one of them was donated to a railroad museum that was constructed across the street. The other was still there, though the tracks had been cleared of many of the trees that had sprung up... some of them grown so large they pushed at the rails they had mistakenly taken root between...

I remember driving to the back of the base... along those tracks, with a forest of pine trees in, on, and around them. The leftover train was cool... but in some ways, those tracks were cooler...

I'm not a RR Buff but I like your picture above. The train looks like the embodiment of motion and speed itself even though it's not really moving (I think).

Hoping for more shots in the future.

Belle

Belle, one of the things about what I shoot... a lot of the shots might include railroad tracks or crossing signals, but most of them are more about the backgrounds... the rural scenery and the like. I shot one on Friday that I simply love... I actually shot about 20 shots there, but posted the one that captured the feel best... a bullet-hole riddled crossing sign from a private crossing in "the middle of nowhere"... Though the shot I chose included the tracks (and US30 in the distance)... I have some from the other side... with a sprawling potato field in that background. I chose the side I did due to shadows and sunlight and the like, but might try to work on them and see what happens. laugh