This Weekend: Yanks vs. Red Sox For First Place

TOMMY TUNES

The two teams with the best records in the American League both dwell in the Eastern Division and both are tied for first place as we speak. (See below)

American League AL East

W L PCT GB HOME AWAY EAST CENT WEST NL

Boston 68 42 .618 - 35-21 33-21 28-12 16-14 14-8 10-8

NY Yankees 68 42 .618 - 37-22 31-20 22-18 16-12 17-7 13-5

These two teams both go head to head this weekend in a 3 game series in Boston. 'Nuff said.

Any predictions?

I predict Yanks take at least 2 out of 3 and are in sole posession of first place Monday morning.

Tommy - I think they have 9 games left head-to-head. Realistically, all things being equal, they probably need to win at least 6 of them. 6 wins would make them 7-11 against Boston for the year.

Their records, excluding the games they've already played against each other, are: NY - 67-34, Boston - 60-41......so, if they can continue to be the better team against the rest of baseball, they can win the Division anyway.

However, if they play like crap the rest of the way against Boston, which they've done so far (have been outscored 60-37 in the 9 games they've played), and wind up something like 5-13 against them, would they even have the confidence to beat them, come the post-season? Doubt it.

Regardless of the outcome of their last 9 head-to-head games, they need to hope that Boston will lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

hOW dare YOU LIVE IN nj AND BE A bOSOX FAN. tRAITOR!

What do you think GIRO?

Lol..Tommy. I think our friend Dave is originally from Mass., so I think he's exempt from our wrath.lol. Believe me, I know lots of Sox fans who are from Jersey. We should ship them up North!!! arrgh

MASSHOLE, isn't that what Mainers call us! grin

My God I'm becoming Sybil ! Growing up in Mass, living in NJ, working in NY, and now with my wife working in Maine, I'm all over the place!!! Yes, Massholes is Maine's cute name for all you (us?) Bay Staters. I have to admit, it's catchy.