Amy Winehouse dead

Steve...I too have little patience for narcissisists...but she wasn't just you or me with a drug habit...somehow she was a little more twisted...she just couldn't be helped thru therapy...or intervention...for whatever reason she was THAT F*&%#D -Up!

Not surprisingly Amy Winehouse was found dead.

Even though she was so troubled it is sad when a talented young person dies.

Another added to Forever 27 Club

What is it about the age of 27 ?

Might be the age where a lot of these artists finally found stardom- and didn't know what to do with it...would be interesting to hear Eric's take on it.

Steve...I too have little patience for narcissisists...but she wasn't just you or me with a drug habit...somehow she was a little more twisted...she just couldn't be helped thru therapy...or intervention...for whatever reason she was THAT F*&%#D -Up!

It takes more than therapy. There isn't a therapist in the world who could get a user, whether it be drink or drugs clean. The user has to play their part too along with the belief in their higher power.The higher power, whatever or whoever it may be does the rest. Anyone can be helped if they ask and believe.

Absolutely true, teragram and S_O_L. No one can help someone unless they want to help themselves. And no one should have to bury their child.

So sad. Whatever their separate issues, it's a large, tragic club. I wondered about the significance of the age 27 also. Perhaps it's because they see 30 coming and feel disillusioned at not having attained what they wanted by age 25. Two years later, perhaps, they start to spiral out of control. Just a guess. 27 sees age 30 looming up in the near future. Don't know why for sure, though.

I just know it seems to be the danger zone. I remember feeling restless at age 27, examining my stage of what I thought was "success" in life, wondering if I should even change careers from teaching to performing, or do something in another field entirely. Showbusiness is a pressured life to lead to begin with.

Whatever the reason(s), so very tragic, this club.

:(--D

but ya know , if those kids could only have made it

another quarter century and look back...they would see,

the situation they were dealing with probably wasnt such

a big deal after all.

its been awhile, but i can vaguely remember being 27. wink.

and now looking back, i wonder why i sweated the small stuff

because in the grand scheme of things, they really were small.

i have a yungun in that age range now..always telling him not

to sweat the small stuff

Her dad said she was doing well. He said that she had slipped with drinking a little bit, but then she got help again. That was part of anyone's normal recovery.

If she was on medications, this would be bad to mix with alcohol. Or, it was an accident. And she took too much medication. I think she had broken up with her ex-husband, after getting together recently.

She had unusual talent with her voice, and all the styles of music she combined with her songs- Rock, Soul, Jazz, Pop, etc.

It's too bad she had let the heavy toll of substance abuse into her life. She needed more things to do. Maybe acting or something. Until she could write new songs again.

I have a DVD with the fantastic Tony Bennett, singing with Billy Joel (Live At Shea Stadium). And a song with Amy is on the new CD to be released with Tony.

Pop culture has made instant gratification the goal, if not the norm and has encouraged self-pity that has, in essence, coddled our youth and weakened them, in my opinion. In my parents' day (not to mention before that), you worked hard all your life and if you didn't realize your dreams, you weathered life and made yours work instead of feeling sorry for yourself. I remember my mother saying, "You make your own luck." My parents believed in and taught self-determination.

Pop culture permissivism has made drugs of all kinds far too easy to get and condoned self-destructive behavior. There is no shame nor censure for things that were deemed unacceptable in the old days. There are no consequences, except death, then the lesson is learned in vain.

I read an article in a British newspaper that said, she told some of her friends a year ago that she'll be joining the 27 club.

thats just heartbreaking crying

well, ive done told jethro ,i better not ever hear of him doing that stuff,

because he will never be too old or too tall to turn over my knee!..thats

what kids are missing today...the fear of mama! wink

From the very first time I heard "Rehab" I knew Amy was not long for this world. There was just something in her vocal inflection and the lyrics that screamed "Old Soul"!

Her passing, while tragic, will be talked about and speculated upon for a long time. Funny, but when my youngest niece (Miss Delilah) was 2 years old we had a grand old time singing "Rehab, which when you are 2 is pronounced "Weehab". She especially liked the refrain of "no, no, no".

I feel deeply sad for Amy's parents and all who tried to get her the help she so desperately needed. I am weary of all of Dr. Drew Pinsky's postulating about Amy's need for Rehab!! Hmmmm...maybe she would have been okay if she had done his show (Celebrity Rehab) or perhaps she would have succumbed to her addiction like a number of his patients have....who knows...