Down Goes Lebron...

Jerry

No offense, but it's really doing a great disservice to the Dallas Mavericks, turning the finals into a "will LeBron win it or not?" question. Winning even 1 game in the finals meant that he went further with the Heat than he ever did with Cleveland, and in his first year there. Considering the Heat aren't built for a long playoff run in the first place (no big inside banger, too much reliance on one-on-one in their half court offense), they went deeper in the playoffs than they shoild have. While LBJ is an asshole, odds are, he'll get tons of chances to get a ring. This year's finals were more about Nowitzki and Jason Kidd finally winning a title. (17 years for Kidd to get his ring. . . .)

You can see how difficult it is to win a title.

And also how different matchups benefit each team. If another team was in the finals, Miami probably could have won. If I was a pro-basketball player, I wouldn't want to play either team in this years finals.

I was rooting for the underdog, Dallas, before the final's games, because they proved they could beat everyone.

Ron Artest of the Lakers said that Dallas played as a complete team. He was on T.V., locally.

Paraphrasing- Everyone was given the ball. It was the great teamwork that won the title for Dallas. They passed the ball. Their bench players were amazing. Something that helped them win.

Could be wrong, but I thought Vegas established Dallas as the overall favorite following their sweep of the Lakers in the conference semis. Even if Miami was favored in the finals, I'm not sure why. They beat an aging Celtics and an inexperienced Bulls, versus the Mavs sweeping the overall pre-finals favoritr, and then the inexperienced Thunder. One team had 58 wins, the other 57. Yet on ESPN this morning, the following headline - Mavs get past LeBron James and the Mighty Heat(!?). . . .unless, of course they were referring to the fact that Dallas has 4 ex-Wizards (Stevenson, Heywood, Butler, Howard). My only qualm about the Mavs winning - Cuban is an a-hole. But Dirk & Jason getting rings was worth it!

Also. . . . While Dirk N had a huge series and is the one true Dallas superstar, not sure I would have voted for him as MVP. The series turned the Mavs' way when Jason Terry heated up, starting in Game 4. He continued to kill the Heat the rest of the series.

No JohnO...what it means is he got no futher than he did with the Cavs.Period. He lost in the finals. Counting individual games? LOL!

I can't remember ever disagreeing with my buddy Hollies but I have to on this one. Lebron certainly came much closer this year than he ever did with the Cavs and would probably be the team to beat next year, especially after Riley weaves his off season magic. JohnO is right and even if you take the other side John is certainly not deserving of a "LOL".

P.S. Maybe I'm being particularly hard on Hollies because his Indians spent the weekend throwing "AT" my Yankees instead of pitching "TO" them. When the Indians did pitch to them I loved the results. The Indians need to get their "Acta" together. Otherwise the team formerly with the best record in baseball will be watching the post season from the same seats they watched them in prior years. Now that's a LOL!

John, you are soooo right!! Clearly the best team won!! Sadly it appeared to me that only Dwyane Wade was truly "hungry" for the championship. Also, he carried the rest of the Heat!!

I am very happy for The Mavs!! It was wonderful to see Kidd and Nowitski win their rings!! God knows they worked hard enough and waited long enough for them!!

The bright side was all of the commercials showing LB holding the trophy!! That may well be the only way he'll ever get to have it in his possession!! Suiting up for a game and then not performing, is what my hubbby calls the "pucker factor", is all LB did!!

I would think at this point everyone in Cleveland is more than happy to be rid of him!!

If you judge a player based on the talent/skill quotient, LeBron is probably the most amazing player ever.

But he's not anywhere near the group that is the best players to ever have played the game.

He's missing something, you saw it again in the Finals. There's a missing link in his head, or something. He fizzles at weird times.

There's an intangible that the greatest have. Derek Rose has this and I think it will manifest itself in some hardware for the Bulls down the road. Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic ...those guys had it. LeBron doesn't have it yet.

I thought against the Bulls Lebron may have been turning a corner and starting to show signs he was acquiring this intangible. But it wasn't the case.

Nice dichotemy though: Dirk goes the "stick it out with YOUR team" route to a Championship. Lebron and Bosh go the "leave your team for a ready made championship team" route.

And Dirk wins.

I love this!

James

If you judge a player based on the talent/skill quotient, LeBron is probably the most amazing player ever.

But he's not anywhere near the group that is the best players to ever have played the game.

He's missing something, you saw it again in the Finals. There's a missing link in his head, or something. He fizzles at weird times.

There's an intangible that the greatest have. Derek Rose has this and I think it will manifest itself in some hardware for the Bulls down the road. Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic ...those guys had it. LeBron doesn't have it yet.

I thought against the Bulls Lebron may have been turning a corner and starting to show signs he was acquiring this intangible. But it wasn't the case.

Nice dichotemy though: Dirk goes the "stick it out with YOUR team" route to a Championship. Lebron and Bosh go the "leave your team for a ready made championship team" route.

And Dirk wins.

I love this!

James

James, "ever" is a strong word to use in reference to the skills of LeBron James. We must not forget those who had far more skill, yet never got the ring. Hmmm...let's think about Peter Press Maravich. Watching him play was a thing of beauty!! You could see that nothing surprised him and that he was always in control.

That "intangible" some seek in LeBron is not there and I fear at this point, it may never be there...until he stops buying into all of the hype that surrounds him. LB and Kobe both came into the NBA straight out of high school. The difference, I am certain, was Kobe's dad Joe Bryant who schooled his son not only in basketball fundamentals, but the pitfalls of believing his own hype. At LeBron's age he needs to let go of the "entitled" hype and refocus his attention on his game.

I, too, love that Dirk got his championship the OLD SKOOL way...he earned it!!

Now, I know why Lebron didn't go to college...he couldn't pass the finals!

I don;t really pay attention to pro basketball, but why would two players mock and fire up the other team's star player right before the big game. like Lebron and Dwyane did with the sniffling into the jerseys directed towards Dirk Nowitzki? That's just dumb!

Pat, the nswer is very simple...they are very poor sports! After the game was over, I noticed that ALL of the Mavs players gave congrats or whatever to the Heat players. The same could not be said for the Heat players. Yes, LB and Dwayne did give props to Dirk and Kidd, but left the court immediately.

As for Mr. Bosh falling out in the hallway...he needed to have his hiney kicked for such a stupid display!!

Nothing shows the true measure of an athlete or person than how the conduct themselves in the face of defeat!

Steve - yeah, you're right if all we're looking at is the results of the playoff series, and not the quality of the competition. However, LBJ also got to the finals with Miami his initial season there, and not his 4th, was it, in Cleveland?And with a totally rebuilt team, a team that most of us wrote off as probably losing early in the playoffs. To quote a well-known basketball expert from earlier this year here - "This team will not win a sausage. They can't beat good teams, and the mix will not work. The talent cannot make up for a real lack of chemistry. . . .I don't think they get to the Eastern finals." Recognize the quote? Looks to me like the team did get their sh*t together, but either peaked too soon (against the Bulls), or just didn't match up well against Dallas.

BTW, Jordan was tagged as a loser around his 5th or 6th season, when he couldn't get his team past the Pistons in the post-season. Wound up with 6 rings.

I may be the only Heat fan here, I am still proud of their overall efforts.

While they did not win the finals they did have a successful season. Clearly better than all but one team !

They also succeeded in filling the seats and selling all the big money boxes. Last year we couldn't even give away our tickets when we couldn't make the game.

There is always next year.

I'm at the Marlin game now and I will be happy if they do as well this year !

I am not a Heat fan, but I am not a Dallas fan either....I did not want Miami to win, because lets face it..if we thought Lebron was cocky before...give him a ring his first year at Miami, and his head would be so big, he couldn't fit through the door....I am happy for Dallas...Lebron will get his turn...He needs to find some humility first...JMHO smile