Are We Killing Our Children With Plastic?

Paulie Mississippi

My wife shared this article on Facebook and I thought it was worth a look here... and though it focuses on children, a lot of it is problematic for adults as well...

Never Feed Your Child Using This Because You Want Them to be Healthy

It only takes a few paragraphs to seriously open your eyes to one of the ways we are poisoning ourselves... and our kids... on a daily basis!

Quote:
In 2009, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) found an average of 287 toxins, including BPA, mercury, fire retardants, and pesticides, in the umbilical cord blood of American infants. If your baby is exposed to numerous toxic compounds in utero, it lengthens the period of exposure to carcinogens, thereby making your child more susceptible to cancer and other diseases later in life.

If that paragraph didn't grab your attention... try this one!

Quote:
Now, baby food manufacturers are compounding the problem by suggesting that busy moms feed their toddlers highly processed food sold in convenient plastic tubs. As if that isn't enough, you microwave it first, further destroying and denaturing its nutritional value and promoting leaching of toxic chemicals right out of the plastic and into your baby's meal.

Seriously, this is just the tip of an iceberg that threatens to sink America... much like the Titanic...

Paulie, the whole article is fascinating!! The powers that be seem to be determined to help new moms kill their children!!

Pity the trend is to bottle feed infants! Not too many years ago those same plastic bottles were said to be safe. Hmmm...what's wrong with women using their breasts as they were designed to be used...to feed their infants!! Yep, surprise!! Breasts were not designed to be "man magnets"....

Baby Food? Novel concept!! Your baby can eat what you eat!! Sure you'll have to puree it for them, but they can handle it!

More new Moms need to think for themselves!

True Miriam, but... even if Mom's breast feed... if they are drinking (plastic) bottled water... and eating "Healthy Choice" microwave dishes... they're still passing those chemicals through their breast milk...

Trust me, I'm as guilty as the next guy... my wife is always on me about my intake of High Fruictose Corn Syrup... she did get me weaned off of the Diet Soda's... but I'm prone to "nuke" my leftovers inside their Gladware containers... So I'm a work in progress... but then, I'm not nursing for or feeding babies! laugh

Paulie, you are so right!! All of the nuking and such done by the Mom cannot be helpful. I stopped nuking things over a year ago on advice from our very own Dr. Rob!

As long as you are a step in the right direction and a work in progress...you cannot be faulted!!

What's truly sad is that we really don't know if this poisoning is by accident or by design! It is well documented that the planet can not sustain the continued exponential growth of humanity... and yet we continue to fight nature... to try to "save the world" instead of allowing the natural order of things...

Another example of what I call "civilizing ourselves into extinction"... It's "better for the environment" to use a microwave vs. the stove top to reheat items... Less electricity is used... We are not wasting food while kids around the world are starving... and yet, it is possible that with all of our good intentions, those starving kids who, while malnourished; survive... may be healthier than the most "robust" among us...

Not to mention, as the article and others make mention, we are in some ways altering our own DNA... in a sense, Americans in general are mutated humans... Hybrids perhaps, certainly altered...

I'm in danger of taking this thread away from its original intent, and getting it banished to Cartoon World; so I'm gonna get off of this rabbit trail!

The bottom line is that you can't trust on the government regulations... or inspectors who claim something is "safe" for us to use... the FDA is just as prone to corruption mistakes as any other government agency...

Common sense has to dictate that the closest to natural something is, the better it is for you... Processing food, placing it in plastic containes, and then irradiating it?

:yikes:

Not natural...

Paulie, there is more than enough food in the world for every man, woman and child who are here. Yes, I see the rabbit trail, but feel it is one worth traveling!!

Why do we, who had nothing with it's design, feel the need to "save the world"? Because we have to live in it...at least for a while longer.

I think killing our children and ourselves is by design. Funny how no one takes the raw food movement seriously, but it is a great idea!

Breasts were not designed to be "man magnets"....

Ooohhh reeealy?

Haven't you heard of multi-tasking? laughhaha

Seriously though, I did nurse my son for nine months. I didn't trust all that syrup and canned evaporated milk that were the ingredients of formula then.

I got rid of my microwave oven years ago and only use the one at work occassionally and do not use plastic for cooking.

For storing foods in the fridge I save wide mouthed glass jars and use them as much as possible.

I do use hard plastic to store pasta, grains and legums in the pantry but I don't think they leach anything into dry foods.

Styrofoam is terrible to use in the microwave. I've seen it melted at the inside bottom of the container under the food where the melted plastic leaches and mixes into the food. :yikes:

Belle

Yeah, styrofoam is definitely not "microwave safe"...

Miriam, regarding "enough food"... our government has for decades paid farmers not to plant or to harvest... simply to help keep the market place from being flooded (i.e., to help keep the prices inflated...) and even in times when that is not the case, farmers have been known to allow their fields to rot if they deem the price they will receive for their product not worth the further investment... So yeah, if there isn't enough food, there theoretically could be... :yikes:

Paulie, when the Army Corps of Engineers blew the levies in Missouri the first thing I thought about was how they were so willing to sacrafice farm land.....land for food!! So they saved some homes...so what! Homes can be rebuilt, but the farm land....not so easily!

This thread is a godsend!! I never gave any thought to my habit of drinking bottled water....now I do!!

Why, yes, Belle, I've heard of multi-tasking and firmly believe that if you are a jack of all trades you are a master of none.

As for the content of baby formula...it's nothing more than junk!! Breast milk is always at the correct temperature and composition for infant consumption. That's reason enough for me.

I like that you save glass containers for food storage!! I, too, have done that for years. Granted, they are not as fancy as some food storage containers but they work. I store flour and such in hard plastic...

In a crazy way it seems like all of our efforts at being green are often at cross purposes. We don't want to purchase things in non-biodegradable packages, yet we go to restaraunts and dine...without a second thought as to their food storage methods. Hmmmm.....

Oh yeah, Wendy!! There is a website for those Moms who wish to purchase breast milk. I am happy that it does exist. Some sites are for those who wish to donate their breastmilk. It is really better for the baby.

TJ will be breast and bottle fed. Why? Because Tommie has already expressed an interest in helping to feed the baby!! At first I laughed, but then I realized I could become Mrs. O'Leary's Cow and pump the milk into bottles so he can feed him too!!

Jarred baby food is convenient, I will readily admit!! But if he can eat what I eat, pureed, that is wonderful. No preservatives!

I did not breast-feed, altho it was trendy to do at the time. I do remember buying these cool plastic baby-bottles that had a hole in them to make it easier for baby to hold, they would change color if the formula was too hot. God only knows what they put in the plastic to make them do that! I did buy the baby-spoons with the plastic coating to protect the teeth. I also had the divided plastic dishes. I used cloth diapers as much as possible. And did use a plastic food-processor, she ate what we ate. It was easier to runaround without a stinky diaper-bag! I tried to be nature-mom! It was a very hot summer and too much work! LOL!

Guest Rachan

Wendy is absolutely right about it being moms choice!

I breastfed my daughter for over a year...she wanted nothing to do with bottles.

My oldest sister has 6 kids that were all formula fed...I never had a problem with that.....

When I told her I was going to breast feed she told me I was "disgusting" & asked "why would I want to do something like that"

(she's a real peach...)

Wendy is absolutely right about it being moms choice!

I breastfed my daughter for over a year...she wanted nothing to do with bottles.

My oldest sister has 6 kids that were all formula fed...I never had a problem with that.....

When I told her I was going to breast feed she told me I was "disgusting" & asked "why would I want to do something like that"

(she's a real peach...)

The subject of breastfeeding versus bottle feeding does seem to be a sensitive issue for some.

It wasn't the "in thing" when I had my son. My pediatrition said it was only lazy or stupid women who breastfed. Well this lazy and stupid person did it anyway.

Everyone's circumstances differ and it's no one's business why one mom does it one way and another mom does it differently. I can think of several reasons one would choose bottle feeding over breast feeding, they just didn't apply to me at the time.

Belle

Something else to consider when deciding on whether to bottle feed or breast feed...when my wife was looking into getting braces, the orthodontist told her, not asked her, told her she was bottle fed as a baby! My wife was shocked that he would know this, but he could tell by the shape of her mouth and her bite pattern! Apparently, sucking the life out of baby bottles can affect the way your mouth forms as an infant.

Kirk, this is a great article. Plastic and microwaves are not perfect together. Although aluminum also has its problems, we buy cola in cans rather than plastic bottles. There was a fuss a few years ago about the plastic bottles combining with sodium benzoate, which is used as a preservative in carbonated drinks, to form toxic benzene. We have always tried to limit our contact with plastic as much as possible as regards food and cooking.

And no one mentions the toxic properties of teflon, especially scratched teflon, especially when it gets heated. When I was young and single I saw a Vita-Mix demo that truly impressed me because it covered toxic materials and it changed my approach to cooking. Since that day I only use stainless steel utensils and cookware.

However, I've become used to the microwave and its convenience is difficult to give up.

This article... and the entire thread... is simply reinforcing what we already knew... the closer to nature and natural things are, the better they are for us. Just think about it, all of the foods we eat that are "vitamin enriched" would not need to be so if they didn't suck all the nutrients out during processing... We'd all be healthier if we only used "organic" materials on our lawns and gardens... and then "grazed" rather than cooked the bountiful harvest! LOL

Another side note on the breast feeding... one that is rarely considered, but I believe to be quite true... Most people are prone to be either right or left handed... thus, it's more comfortable to hold the baby; let's say in your left arm, and hold the bottle with your right... My mother (adopted, I remind you) did this... and I was diagnosed at six years old with ambliopea (sp)... more commonly known as "lazy eye"... one of the "environmental" issues that has been thought to lead to this is mothers who bottle feed... it is common for breast feeding mothers to, of course, switch breasts... this places the child on opposite sides... when his/her right eye is against mommy, the left eye is being strengthened as the child looks about... likewise, when the left eye is tucked against mommy, the right eye is in use. When a child is fed while held in teh same way, over and over; one eye can "not develop" at the same rate, and thus the childs body begins to see predominately with the stronger eye...

It sounds convoluted, but when you think about it; it makes perfect sense...

So... if you're not gonna breast feed, at least "rotate" the baby! laugh

I know when I'm in Albertson's... or in the local Mr. Gas... the glass bottles all have small paper labels... and say "Product of Mexico"...

Coke does issue domesticly those cute little 6 1/2 ounce bottles in commemorative packs... and I think some stores might stock them regularily, but for the singles... to the best of my knowledge they are not bottled domestically...