Multi talented musician Andrew Gold dead...

This is yet another tragic loss, and possibly another thread that will bring Marv out of retirement...we talked often on here about Andrew Gold. His song, "That's Why I Love You" is my favorite and has the best middle eight of any song I've ever heard. Too bad it's not on youtube or I would have included it here. RIP, Andrew.

This is yet another tragic loss, and possibly another thread that will bring Marv out of retirement...we talked often on here about Andrew Gold. His song, "That's Why I Love You" is my favorite and has the best middle eight of any song I've ever heard. Too bad it's not on youtube or I would have included it here. RIP, Andrew.

This truly saddens me. I've been a fan of Andrew's since the days when he sang with Kenny Edwards (also recently deceased), and since his days of backing up Linda Ronstadt. He was a fine songwriter, and a multi-instrumentalist. As an example of his musical virtuosity, check out the musician credits for Linda's "Heat Wave": it's Andrew playing everything (drums, bass, guitar, piano, and back-up vocals).

Most people only know Andrew from "Lonely Boy" and "Thank You For Being A Friend", but as Kirk mentions, Andrew had a ton of great songs over his recording career. His distinctive playing can be heard on not only Linda's songs, but music by Jennifer Warnes ("I Know A Heartache When I See One"), and even Eric's "She Did It." That's Andrew playing the lead solo.

His album, "What's Wrong With This Picture" (with "Lonely Boy") contains the funniest liner notes I've ever read, and to this day, remains among my favourite albums of all time. He also released a couple of fine pop albums under the name "Wax" with Graham Gouldman of 10cc.

For those of you who don't know, Andrew's mom was the singing voice for Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood and Audrey Hepburn in the movies and on the Soundtracks for "The King and I", "An Affair to Remember", "West Side Story", and "My Fair Lady". Andrew's dad, won an Oscar in 1961 (1960?) for orchestrating the "Exodus" theme.

R.I.P. Andrew, and thank you for bringing so much wonderful music into our lives.

When Bernie Leadon left the Eagles, and they started looking for a new guitarist, Andrew openly petitioned to join the band. He had all the necessary qualifications: he was friendly with the band members, he could play, sing and write. Unfortunately Frey and Henly felt that Andrew was too close to the sound they were trying to get away from: they wanted to move toward a harder-Rock sound. Joe Walsh and the Eagles already shared the same manager, Frey and Henley had played and sung on his albums, and he had the personality and style which they felt would broaden their audience. Walsh was in, and Andrew continued his solo career, moving to "What's Wrong With This Picture", and "Lonely Boy."

This is truly tragic--he was so young. Andrew couldn't miss as far as talent goes, with his Mom being the amazing Marni Nixon and his Dad the Ernest Gold of "Exodus" fame. Andrew's contributions to the music were rich and varied.

RIP Andrew. You and your beautiful music will be long remembered.

:(--Love, Darlene

From angelina's post, there are comments below on the yakityyak page, including a friend of his.

Last night on the radio, the news mentioned his cancer treatments.

One of his power-pop friends, Bruce Bodeen, says he stayed in contact with Andrew for 17 years. He will start a new site, next week. And post some power pop music perhaps. He had hoped that his friend would be involved.