Anne Hathaway: Natalie Wood Look-Alike?

ANDREA

Tony Cartmill said:

I still give Natalie the edge...

Agreed, but it makes me wonder if Anne would be a good cast as Natalie for a movie on her life? (With Eric's soundtrack in the background, of course!) I do see the resemblance in these photos, that I never noticed before. Good catch, Andie!

That picture of Anne Hathaway looks similar to Natalie, but I think it's mostly the smile, because she also almost looks similar to Julia Roberts in this photo. She does have deep brown eyes, which, when made up, look similar to Natalie's, but Natalie's little turned up nose is exactly the opposite of Anne's, which changes the look completely.

Anne looks more like Pier Angeli, an Italian actress who, in my opinion, was also one of the most beautiful actresses who ever lived. Anne's personality is totally different than that of either actress.

Natalie was, in my view, pretty much "magic," in all ways. She was gorgeous, had an enormous amount of class and charm and had a monumental talent to go along with it all. She also had the grit and dedication to her craft that goes way beyond the call of duty. I remember one director saying he felt guilty because he was directing her in a drunk scene and it wasn't coming across just right. He took Natalie to a bar and she got drunk, but she also got very sick. He felt so sorry for her that he told her they could do the scene another day. Sick as a dog, she insisted on going back and finishing that scene, and it was positively brilliant. Now that's dedication.

:)--D

What a great post Dar!!!!

You write like a poet, always. Very beutiful.

I remember Pier Angeli because of James Dean...She died very young -39 years old- suicide by overdose of barbituates, wasn't it? Did she die in the States? I thought she was in Italy at that time.

You're right about the resemblance, I hadn't noticed it. Wow!

angeli_hair.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your sweet, kind words, andiemay. :-) I think you express yourself as beautifully as it is possible to do in the English language.

Pier Angeli was born Anna Maria Pierangeli. Her sister changed her name to Marisa Pavan and became an actress too. Pier was the more fragile of the two sisters.

I first saw her in the movie "Tomorrow Is Too Late," opposite a young handsome Italian teenage actor whose name escapes me at the moment, and the film also starred a young Vittorio DeSica. Pier was only 17 when director Leonid Moguy discovered her for this film, in which she plays Mirella, a young teen on the verge of sexual awakening. It is a poignant, tender story of first (forbidden) love, and some of its scenes were banned in the United States. I saw this film about age 13 and was taken with the story and Pier Angeli. I never saw it again and even wrote, as a teenager, to the television station to find out who had the production rights. I still scout eBay in hopes of finding an uncut copy. Or any copy of the film. The Italian, uncut, version was titled "Domani Es Troppo Tardi." The theme of the film was basically, "teach kids about sex now. They need to know. Tomorrow is too late." The movie was incredibly sensitive and beautiful.

So I followed Pier Angeli's life and was devastated by her death from anaphylactic shock from a barbiturate administered to her by her doctor. She had also been married to singer Vic Damone.

Pier Angeli's fragility reminds me much of Natalie. Natalie was strong in many ways, but also as fragile as Pier in some. I still mourn for both of these ladies. They had it all, and didn't know it.

Here is some information about the plot:

Domani e Troppo Tardi is the first of two Leonide Moguy films dealing with the travails of postwar Italian life; the second was Domani e un altro Giorno. The story concerns the efforts to provide a proper sex education for youngsters. Progressive schoolteachers Landi (Vittorio de Sica) and Anna (Lois Maxwell) have a profound influence on two of their young students, Mirella (Anna Maria Pierangeli) and Franco (Gino Leuri). The two kids are enamored of one another, and decide to experiment with some of the knowledge they've gleaned in the classroom...with devastating results. Eighteen-year-old Anna Maria Pierangeli, who makes her film debut in Domani e Troppo Tardi and also appeared in Domani e un altro Giorno, later changed her professional name to Pier Angeli. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

The young, handsome Italian teenage male lead in the film was Gino Leurini. I think he left acting, which is a pity. He was gorgeous. :)

PS All of this discussion about beautiful actresses: back in the day, actress Lilli Palmer was also one of my absolute favorites. Talented and beautiful as well.

A movie I flipped for as a young girl was a comedy called "No Minor Vices," which was made in 1948 but I saw it about age 7 and understood the humor! It stars Lilli, Dana Andrews, Louis Jourdan, whom I adored, Jane Wyatt of "Father Knows Best" fame and Bernard Gorcey ( Father of Leo Gorcey of The Dead End Kids ). It's about a pompous and arrogant physician who commissions a painting of his charming (but ignored and bored) wife from an engaging but crazy and bohemian shiftless artist, Ottavio Quaglini (Jourdain). Chaos ensues as the wife toys with the possibility of an affair with the artist and her husband's smug complacency gets a jolt from Quaglini.

I looked for this movie forever, and actually found the video on eBay, so I quickly bought it. It's hilarious. From the age of 7 I've loved one line from the movie:

"I get the feeling we're not leading our own lives."

Anyway, Lilli Palmer is another gorgeous, talented actress for all time.

AND, the Pier Angeli movie, Domani E Troppo Tardi, is available on DVD in France under the title Demain Il Sera Trop Tard and in Argentina on DVD and possibly VHS under the Italian title on AMAZON.COM

Andiemay, what a great photo of her with James Dean. I will always love Pier Angeli. So beautiful and so sweet. Her director said she was born to act. Just a natural human being with so much talent it was incredible. Very similar to Natalie Wood in that respect.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of Eric last night as Herman and I watched Splendor in the Grass on TCM. I love Turner's classic movies because he puts some great ones on. I also love Robert Osbourne's commentary.

The more years pass the more I marvel at Natalie's beauty and talent. The world lost a real American beauty when it lost Natalie Wood.