Eating "weird" things/combinations

TartanBo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching "Top Chef: All-Stars" last night and one of the chefs made "Deep-Fried Mayonaise" for Paula Deen!

Another one of the contestants made a dish that combined Pulled Pork and Fish.

I used to take a group of church boys on their camping outings. We had an annual event with roughly 3000 kids from around the state (only about 400 men to handle them). One year I got the idea of making a "Hobo Stew". I had each of the 30 boys we took bring a canned vegetable. We had a huge kettle set up over a campfire, each of the boys opened their can and dumped in the contents. I'm talking lima beans and corn and tomatoes and black eye peas and green beans and canned potatoes... you name it... We added chopped up beef hot dogs and a couple packs of sliced kielbalsa. It simmered over the campfire for about 3 hours while the "outpost" was at the evening event...

Well, to be honest... when I told the parents what I planned, they were all skeptical that anybody would eat it. But they went along. By the time we got to eat it, the boys demolished it. They could not get enough of it and every year after that, they were always asking if we could make "Hobo Stew" again!

The old adage is true... if you're hungry enough, you'll eat it. laugh

That's so cool!

One of the most decadent things I've ever heard of (but yet to brave) is deep-fried butter. :yikes:

I can do without mustard, though I don't hate it... but sweet relish; gotta have it. It's like my "must-have" ingredient for an awesome cheeseburger... ANY kind of bread will do, I prefer Miracle Whip but can live with Mayo... if I'm out of ketchup, I don't care... tomato and onion are great if on hand... but if my cheeseburger is gonna be truly sensational, I gotta have a teaspoon of sweet relish on it! laugh

Now... who amongst you has ever tried "Rocky Mountain Oysters?"... I have "steered" clear of them myself... :yikes:

Ah... as I learned... just in the proverbial nick of time... Rocky Mountain Oysters are the (fried) testicles of castrated animals... usually bulls, but they can be sheep or goat as well... A Turkish-born friend of mine tried desperately to get a group of us to try them once... the only one who "bit" was our pastor... some men of God will do anything for an offering ... eye

Belle...I add honey to the peanut butter and dill pickle. When I lived in England and ate that my friends kept asking me if I was pregnant!!

Peanut butter and lettuce is also quite yummm!!

Muzza screws his nose up every time I have scrambled eggs and top it with tomato sauce.

Kiwi

Another really good peanut butter sandwich is on a hearty dark brown bread and tomato. Try it, I bet you'll love it.

Belle

That one doesn't sound half-bad... laugh

I'm an ol' southern boy... and I like my grits. I especially like them with salt, pepper, butter, and a pair of "over medium" eggs... mixed up and served with toast and a couple strips of bacon or sausage patties...

But... I can not "get" people who want to eat their grits with milk and/or sugar... Grits is not a desert food and they are not oatmeal for cryin' out loud!

Sometimes, when I take a turn at the stove, I'll fix "breakfast for supper" and even though the wife is not a fan of grits, I'll fix them... and make sure to make too much so I can heat them back up in the morning... again, with salt, pepper, and butter... and make that my "hot" breakfast as well...

Living in Florida, where I grew up, you can find a whole section... sometimes two... of the cereal aisle devoted to grits... Quaker, Jim Dandy, Martha White, and many other brands; including an obligatory store brand... and flavors... OMG... plain, butter, ham, red-eye gravy, bacon, and more cheese styles than you can shake a stick at...

Out here in the frozen tundra... well, at least they've heard of grits now... and when I go to Albertsons I have choices... two of them... Quater Instant (plain) or Quaker Regular grits...

Needless to say, when I travel home; I always stock back up! laugh

Oh Paulie, you are a man after my own heart! GRITS!! I was raised on them prepared in the manner you describe with salt, pepper, butter and eggs over easy!! That is some seriously good stuff!!

I am a grits purist!! I cannot and will not abide instant grits. Yes, I've seen people eat them with butter, milk and sugar and I just don't get it!! Although I have from time to time eaten them with a splash of Frank's Red Hot Sauce (the same stuff used on buffalo wings). Yummy.

I once saw a commercial for Dromedary Cornbread and was puzzled as to why the actors were eating it like desert. On desert plates with forks...

Some people... LOL

Another food-pairing that always disturbed me... again, from my long-ago childhood... my mother would try to get me to eat cantelope by putting a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the middle... in the hole if you will... I always hated the taste/texture of cantelope... and by adding ice cream; well... it just ruined the taste of the ice cream too!

But... I can not "get" people who want to eat their grits with milk and/or sugar... Grits is not a desert food and they are not oatmeal for cryin' out loud!

Some would say rice is not a dessert, however, there's rice pudding as well as some asian rice desserts. I like my rice as....rice....not in pudding, LOL.

Tammi, I could not agree with you more and I feel the same way about bread...it is fine as a sandwich or a dinner roll, but not in that nasty soggy pudding...yuck!!

I had never tried bread pudding til about 10 years ago and.....I LOVED it! Bread pudding shouldn't be "soggy" though. Bread pudding is basically french toast, just in a different arrangement, if you will.

I agree... the first time I had bread pudding, it was soggy and I hated it... steered clear for years and then a relative brought some to a family dinner... and it was not soggy and I could not get enough of it!

I can tolerate rice pudding, but again; my preference is either with butter and herbs, fried, or with beef and gravy. laugh

I agree... the first time I had bread pudding, it was soggy and I hated it... steered clear for years and then a relative brought some to a family dinner... and it was not soggy and I could not get enough of it!

I can tolerate rice pudding, but again; my preference is either with butter and herbs, fried, or with beef and gravy. laugh

Bread pudding needs to be moist...not soggy and not dry...and have some great flacor smile I love japanese sticky rice with teriyaki sauce mixed with it.

How about oysters? Not Rocky Mountain oysters, but the seafood variety? I never thought I'd like them, but I do... fried, steamed, raw... one of the few foods I like with a dash of hot-sauce...

There is a little "sandwich joint" in Bunnell, FL... north of Daytona Beach by about 30 miles, west of Flagler Beach by about 5... called Bantam Chef... it's a privately owned establishment, not to be confused with the burger chain of the same name. They serve an incredible "Fried Oyster Sandwich"... It's just what it sounds like, a few fried oysters on a huge bun... lettuce, tomato, onion... whatever condiment (I like mine with tartar sauce)... Get a big serving of onion rings... not great for the cholesterol, but wonderful for the taste buds...

The same joint sells a fried flounder sandwich too. When I was taking care of my Dad, we'd drive up there special sometimes just because he really liked their sandwiches. Especially that flounder one. It was so damn big that it'd make two meals for him!