Foolin' Myself

Raspbernie

On 1/18/2011 at 5:05 AM, Raspbernie said:

tokyo_press-02.jpg

This rare and unpublished photo of Eric was taken in Tokyo when he traveled to that country in November 1979 to perform as a special guest of the Yamaha World Popular Song Festival. Eric received such an outpouring of fan support that he returned the next year to give a series of sold-out performances in support of his Tonight You're Mine album.

Earlier that year, Eric was invited by the country of Japan to enter the prestigious Song Festival. Each invited artist is requested to submit a new composition in the contest, and Eric chose a tune he just completed writing titled "Foolin' Myself."

The winner of the Festival that year was a song named "Sitting On The Edge of the Ocean," written by Ronnie Scott & Steve Wolfe. It was performed at the competition by Bonnie Tyler.

Eric's song was performed by a singer named Paul Nicholas. In 1976, he embarked on a short-lived but high profile pop career, with three Top 20 hits in the UK Singles Chart: "Reggae Like It Used To Be," "Dancing With The Captain" and "Grandma's Party." "Heaven on the 7th Floor" hit #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 List.

While I'm sure Paul did a fine job with Eric's stirring ballad from Tonight You're Mine, I can't help but wonder how much better Eric might have done had he been able to perform the song himself. Eric's song made it to the Finals, but didn't win a prize. I'm guessing that part of the rules of the competition are that songwriters enter songs and other singers sing them. Crazy when you consider that Eric was actually there in the Arena that night to perform his own set of songs.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy 2011!

Bernie

my favorite song from eric it would’ve been incredible if he had preformed it 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...