Christmas Songs

ira

I have to go with "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole. It really warms your heart and spirit during the holiday season.

Giro, that is definitely one of the top ten of all time, written by the tremendously talented Mel Torme'

I'd have to go with Linda Eder's "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Great vocals with an African beat.

Second would be Pat Metheny's "Last Train Home." I have heard it on two consecutive Christmas Eves now and while not a Christmas song per se, it reminds you of places you have been, places you would like to be, and the people you would like to be with. Certainly appropriate for the time of year!

Same as my Mom's: Silver Bells and Menybol az Angyal, a Hungarian Christmas Carol. I grew up listening to Sari Barabas (who looked like my Aunt Sophia!) sing Hungarian Christmas Carols. I love the Polish Kolendy (Christmas Carols) also, especially "Kings of the World."

As for American carols, I would have to say O Holy Night, Joy to the World and a host of those by John Rutter, especially the Star Carol, the Children's Carol and All Is Well. And the violinist's favorite, "Jesu Bambino" by Pietro Yon, because it has a luscious violin solo.

I also love the English "Wassail Song."

As for American pop music, "The Christmas Song" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Speaking of things English, I love John Lennon's song too and "Ding Dong Merrily on High."

Now that's more than you wanted to know!

:)--D

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

THAT'S the one I forgot to add.

I was supposed to sing it for the Christimas CD that I helped make to raise funds for the building of our church...but I was to record it on Sept. 15, 2001 and we all know what happened Sept. 11th of that year. I never did get the chance to do it. frown

I love Judy Garland's version. heartpump

Although we've been married for 26 years, my huby and I have spent 24 Christmases together. Uncle Sam loves to send his Misguided Children (U.S.M.C. - get it -lol haha) to Japan for a year at a time!! Uncle Sam sent my hubby twice - 85 to 86 and then 10 years later from 95 to 96. This song by Mariah Cary was one that I really felt on Chrismas Eve 1995!!

I couldn't imagine a Christmas playlist without Bobby Helms' "Jingle Bell Rock" and Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." The others on my short list of favorites:

* John & Yoko's "Happy Christmas"

* McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" (because you've gotta have a Paul with a John, and also because my daughters love it)

* Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

* Dean Martin's "Baby It's Cold Outside"

* Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas"

* U2's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

* Stevie Nicks' "Silent Night"

And maybe my favorite is the Pretenders' "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I like that song anyway, especially for the line "Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow." But Chrissie Hynde nails it as well as anyone:

There. I officially have the holiday spirit.