Under-Rated

ira

Eric and Eric Carmen.com Colleagues...What acts and/or performers do you feel are under-rated?

I'll start the ball rolling...I think the Boxtops were under-rated.

Alex Chilton was about 17...if I recall....when he did those vocals on "The Letter" and "Cry Like A Baby".

I think Alex's vocals are right up there with Stevie Winwood who sounded like a wizened Blues Vet while merely a child on "Gimme Some Lovin" and I'm A Man" by the Spencer Davis Group.

I think Sonny Geraci of The Outsiders and Climax is under-rated.

And perhaps..most of all...I think Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere And The Raiders should be in the"Under-Rated Lead Singers Hall Of Fame".

Eric and friends...You got a coupla under-rated favorites that you might talk about?

good choices Ira.

I will go with Rick Zehringer (Derringer) of the McCoys. Their hit of Hang on Sloopy was a cover version of the R and B song by the Yardbirds called My Girl Sloopy. He was also an outstanding guitarist later on.

Also, the sixties Chicago area groups never did the respect they deserved. The Buckinghams, New Colony Six Cryan Shames and Chicago had some great tunes back in the day.

Phil

Belle...A year ago I met Mark Lindsay...I told him..."You're one of the GREAT Lead Singers...But you're under-appreciated 'cause of those stupid uniforms".

Mark smiled and said..."Ira...Those stupid uniforms are gonna keep me outta The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame".

Phil...Buckinghams...Teriffic!!

The Vibrations had the original "My Girl Sloopy".

ira said:

Belle...A year ago I met Mark Lindsay...I told him..."You're one of the GREAT Lead Singers...But you're under-appreciated 'cause of those stupid uniforms".

Mark smiled and said..."Ira...Those stupid uniforms are gonna keep me outta The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame".

LOL! But I did LOVE those outfits!

• 2 weeks later...

Eric...you can add to your fan-base Ken Dashow afternoon drive star of Classic Rock Q104 in NYC who also hosts "Breakfast With The Beatles" on Q104 on Sundays in NYC...mc'd the Dennis Ferrante Benefit at The Highline...and is a big part of "The Fest For Beatle Fans" every year.

He's become a friend...and when I first met him and I asked him..."As a Super Beatles Fan waddaya think about Raspberries"?...Ken replied..."I love Raspberries...I regret that I couldn't make it to B.B. Kings"...

..."He Remembered" ;).

(And this conversation took place TWO YEARS!!! after your shows!)

Eric Carmen said:

Jann Wenner doesn't believe that any bands that came from the midwest are worth consideration.

Oooooohhhhh---riiiiiight...

So I guess that "wild, can't-walk-the-next-day" sex is out of the question with this stubborn little dude.

Oh well, sorry Ira...never let it be said that I wouldn't have taken one (or two or three) for team.

Yes, I am drinking wine...what about it? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wendy, your post on this page is hilarious. You rock, and WORD!

Underrated... My list of criminally underrated artists include Raspberries and Eric, of course. I'm biased that they deserve to be in the "Rock'n'Roll" Hall of Fame, as we all are, but even when I step back and really consider their impact, how can Raspberries be on the outside looking in?

Anyway, that's an obvious one. My list also includes:

* WORLD PARTY. I can't listen to Karl Wallinger enough.... Awesome. World Party has a song called "Kingdom Come" that ranks as one of my favorites, ever. Ditto for "When the Rainbow Comes." And there are so many more that people just haven't heard, but should — especially if you love the Beatles.

* JOHN STEWART. He was remarkably talented, intelligent, and funny — a singer/songwriter who was part of Kingston Trio in the early and mid-1960s, went solo, and had a few hits here and there. He's most known for writing "Daydream Believer," and while I love the Monkees' version of it, John's original is far different and, for me, better. Listen to the lyrics sometime, and imagine it played on acoustic guitar — it's a very poignant song.

John's solo hits were "Gold," "Lost Her in the Sun," and "Midnight Wind," and he also wrote "Runaway Train," a #1 country hit for Rosanne Cash. I got to know John via some articles I wrote about him, and I saw him play around a dozen times in the 1990s and 2000s during his East Coast folk-club swing. He died too young, at 68, two years ago this month. I was stunned when I heard that he passed, and I still am.

LC said:

Wendy, your post on this page is hilarious. You rock, and WORD!

Ah golly gee wiz...why thank you! But doesn't everyone want that "wild, can't-walk-the-next-day" sex? It makes sense in the scheme of life. At least to me it does. ;)

All joking aside.

Larry.

I enjoyed John's rendition of "Daydream Believer." I've never heard it before and didn't know he wrote it.

So many genuine amazing talents out there that will never be recognized for what they truly are--- genuine amazing talents!

• 3 weeks later...
WendyWorld said:

So I guess that "wild, can't-walk-the-next-day" sex is out of the question with this stubborn little dude.

Oh well, sorry Ira...never let it be said that I wouldn't have taken one (or two or three) for team.

Yes, I am drinking wine...what about it?

Wendy...did I ever tell you I'm a very close friend of Jann Wenner's? (Don't tell anybody because it's a secret) I can't really stand the guy but he thinks the world of me...he'll do about anything I tell him to. I could be "influenced" to talk to him for you..... :lol: