The Boxer

elle4ec

• 8 years later...

This is a great old thread started by sweet Elle4ec many years ago. It's worth your time to take a browse through the three pages—there are some Eric comments about going to the gym, some George Harrison ("Homeward Bound" with Paul Simon), the original version of "The Boxer" (my favorite S&G song), and some funny comments in between.

So let's revive it with this moving version of "The Boxer" from The Concert in Central Park in 1980. I remember reviewing this album, as a newspaper intern, at the time. My column was called "Vinyl Views." (I was way ahead of my time! Ironically, I would end up just four years later launching the first U.S. magazine dedicated to the brand-new CD technology. Now, decades later, the LP has carved out a comeback, albeit with a smaller audience.)

Anyway, great version, this one is, with the added verse that all of you can relate to:

"Now the years are rolling by me, they are rocking evenly
And I am older than I once was
And younger than I'll be
That's not unusual
Though it isn't strange, after changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes, we are more or less the same."

• 2 years later...

LC...great bump. The hijacking of the thread that started out as The Boxer was quite hilarious. Gave me some insights on Eric in the gym.....I never would have known. Truth be told, I don't even know how he looks since the reunion tour. But I was glad to hear he was taking care of himself like that 12 years ago. His comments regarding the music in the gym also.. there's no candy-coating his opinion...ever! But I love it.

Simon and Garfunkel's  Bridge Over Troubled Water.. another one of my brother's records, what would I do without that brother? Because we played these albums so much you cannot get them out of your music memory box. Bridge Over Troubled Water was I think the third pop song I learned to play by ear and actually performed it but that was with the pipes of a 15 year old. I can't believe I did it..the vocals at the end of the song require a lot of control and preciseness. As far as the song The Boxer, I prefer Simon and Garfunkel's version... just got to go with the original as usual but I also agree it's probably best from a man's point of view. Alison Krauss has the voice of an Angel and so effortless. Shawn Colvin blended very well with her voice. Thanks LC

• Like 1

When James, Craig, Kirk, me, and others were going list-crazy, a couple years ago, we had separate Simon and Garfunkel solo ranking threads, plus one on S&G as a duo. I'll bump 'em, if you're interested! I think I had "The Boxer" at the top of my list.

• Thanks 1