The Boxer

elle4ec

Shelley, you are hardly a flunkey!! Aerobic excercise is great!! A treadmill also engages your core. I was merely stating what it takes for a woman to wind up bulked up like a man from weight lifting.

The whole "muffin top" situation is just tragic. Especially when the wearer of low rise jeans is unaware that they "have it going on"...and not in a good way!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Wendy:

Thanks for asking. From the look of your recent Cleveland photos...you're doing great (hubba hubba). Keep doing what you're doing.

There are some main points:

1.drink plenty of water throughout the day

2. eat, eat, eat....several small meals throughout the day rather than skipping meals....you skip meals...you slow down your metabolism.

3. muscle confusion.........change your routine (I'll show you some websites)

4. for gaining muscle size...go heavy weights 6-8 reps..NO MORE....for longer leaner muscle tone......go light weights 12-15 reps.

5. cross-train......you'd be surprised the various workouts you could get without weights just utilizing body weight (that's what most martial artists do). I'm glad your trainer recognizes that.

6. everyone is unique...you'll have to tweak your workouts to determine what's best for you.

You say you don't want to get "hard" or "big". That means..if you are lifting weights, go light weight/high reps preferably in interval training. If it's abs you want to work on then diet is VERY important (my abs are the first thing to go on me....it's a good barometer telling me to cut back on the grey goose, wine or carbs ). I suggest you-tubing "P90X Ab-Ripper" for some excellent ab workouts.

Some workouts hit your whole "core"......google "Zane lunges". That movement, done without weights, will work your legs, butt and core/abs..in a quick manner. To add intensity carry a small weight or come up with a frontkick after each lunge. You'll be fried in no time.

Raspathens had an EXCELLENT suggestion earlier. Many people spend ALL day on a treadmill or running 7 minute miles 10 miles a day. Take a look at long-distance runners, look at their bodies...if that's what one wants..then great..that's what you do. However, look at those who run the 400 or 800 meters. There's more muscle, less "skinny-flab". These athletes train doing intervals of high exertion, followed by rest...then repeat. Shockingly...their cardio is as good as the distance runners and their metabolic rates are faster (burn more calories). You'll find though that you could test yourself on a treadmill by increasing it's intensity, either speed or incline, thus mirroring what the interval athletes do.

All in all...and ec mentioned this.....just keep going...don't give up...be what you want to be. PM me for more particulars...I could chat about this all night.

Booyah!

missm said:

News Flash - If you don't want to look like a man when lifting weights...don't use anabolic steroids!! Also keep a little thing in mind called 'BONE DENSITY" weight lifting helps with that!! ;)

Hi Miss M,

Having a friend who did do body building, (she had a body much like Eric's trainer) I know she never touched steroids. It was years of dedication and hard work. And that's cool for me.

But I personally do not want to look like that. This is where the weight lifting for me comes in.

My "work out" is on a ballet barre as well as on mats. Resistance. So this is what I am concerned about. Do I HAVE to weight lift or is this good enough for my bone density?

Really, I do not want to be muscular...to me, that is what a man should be.

hollies65 said:

I can't bench or lift heavy weight due to my joints...however I can use ight weights and do push ups...300 every other day.

Steve..as you know...I haven't lifted weights in ten years(other than P90X lately...and since my knee is injured..I'm lifting currently). The Pushup...and all its variances is a perfect exercise. Martial artists usually don't lift weights...they utilize bodyweight!

Steve knows what he's talkin' about! Actually..everyone is giving you some good advice wendy!

I hve been taking the joint stuff...Has not helped...My friend Mike Jordan had what sounds like the same problem..and he went on a rehab,with a anti inflamatory shot and lightweight exercise programfor the shoulder..and he says his pain is gone AND his strength is almost back to normal! I'm making an appointment tomorrow!

Thanks John,

The hardest part for me is to eat. I trained myself in my 20's when I modeled to starve myself. We all did in the industry. So for me, I have to admit, food does nothing for me. I am big on Chinese cabbage and tofu, spring lettuce and tuna. And I do love my potato chips, but I do not find food exciting nor something I think about. I just eat if and when I am hungry.

*You say you don't want to get "hard" or "big". That means..if you are lifting weights, go light weight/high reps preferably in interval training.*

That is why I am afraid to lift any weights at all. My shoulders are wide enough, I can't imagine ever having them get bigger. Yuck!

*If it's abs you want to work on then diet is VERY important (my abs are the first thing to go on me....it's a good barometer telling me to cut back on the grey goose, wine or carbs). *

My problem area...always has been. And you are right...when I don't down a bag of Lays or have my cocktails, I can keep it in check.

Thanks for your advice and I will PM you for anything more---I really do appreciate your thoughts. Really!

Hey Miss Wendy - Aerobic activies (high and low impact) also are great for bone density. With any excercise, your diet is very important. Your nutrients ensure that you don't lose bone and/or muscle mass. Your friend, no doubt, followed a diet that worked toward maintaining or even imcreasing muscle mass. It is a plan that dedicated body builders use. As always, for both male and female, there are those who use the shortcut of anabolic steriods!! If you have doubts, then look at the jawline...if it is too square steriods are there!!

John mentioned "muscle confusion" and it is excellent. Personally, I prefer "circuit training" to achieve that effect. P90X looks good, but I am not ready for it or "Insanity" yet!! LOL

A lot of people employ a "personal trainer" but it is also good to take it to the next level and employ a "nutritionist". A good nutritionist does blood work on a regular basis (in my case every 3 months)to ensure you have to proper amount of vitamins and such in your body. A qualified "personal trainer" can make recommendations about nutrtion, but only the nutritionist can do the appropriate lab work to ensure your health.

elle4ec said:

Thanks, Jerry, for the Allison Krauss Video. I love just about anything she does.

When I visited the website today, clicked on 'The Boxer' under 'Recent Posts' and saw it hit five pages of replies, I thought to myself, "This song must have really resonated with everyone.' LOL!

WendyWorld said:

Hi Miss M,

Having a friend who did do body building, (she had a body much like Eric's trainer) I know she never touched steroids. It was years of dedication and hard work. And that's cool for me.

But I personally do not want to look like that. This is where the weight lifting for me comes in.

My "work out" is on a ballet barre as well as on mats. Resistance. So this is what I am concerned about. Do I HAVE to weight lift or is this good enough for my bone density?

Really, I do not want to be muscular...to me, that is what a man should be.

It's OK this thread was hijacked, Wendy. After all, the title of it IS "The Boxer" ;) , right?

I totally agree with you about muscular women. Toned and fit is one thing, (I especially admire toned abs and a rounded firm tush), but when one begins to look like a man, you've lost me.

I use weights with my workouts, but I only average using around 8 to 10 lb. weights. Some of my exercises only use 5 lb. weights...those are the ones requiring high repetitions. I really don't think incorporating those types of hand weights will really build any bulging muscles. As John says, if you incorporate the weights, in addition to using your own body weight for resistance, combined with aerobics and regular variations in your routines, weights can give you a faster result from your workouts, in less time. I've been using them for over two years now, and while I've built some muscle, I'm way too curvy and soft to ever look masculine! I do think the weights have been effective on my behind area, in combination with lunges and dips, to reshape it from a more flattish shape, to a more rounded one. Even though I lost a considerable amount of weight a few years ago, I'll always be a bigger built, curvy type of girl (Unless I was much more vigilant and strict with my diet, and dramatically intensified my workouts...But, I'm an admitted foodie, love cooking, collecting cookbooks, eating at different restaurants, and trying new things, way too much to ever think I could be petite).

Wendy, I don't think you have anything to be afraid of if you want to try some weights, especially if there is an area you want to tighten or define a little (You could always stop if you thought you were beginning to appear too muscular looking). And, missm is correct, they are great for bone density, but, any weight-bearing type of exercise (walking or running included) is good for bone density. As an RN, I perform bone-density screenings, and provide counseling on bone health for women, on a regular basis. As women age, we all lose bone density, so Osteoporosis is a much more common, debilitating, and painful condition, than many realize. If one doesn't eat a well-balanced diet, including plenty of calcium-rich foods; then, calcium supplements, and regular weight-bearing exercises, are highly recommended for all women. This is especially true if one has risk factors, such as a small frame, a family history of Osteoporosis, women of Asian or Hispanic descent, is a smoker, is over 65, or, has gone through menopause, either surgical (hysterectomy), or clinical (age-related). So, a healthy diet and regular weight-bearing exercise is important for all women, especially as we age, to maintain our bone health, and to protect us from thinning bones and fractures.

Eric Carmen said:
No iPod. I have to be able to hear my trainer, April.

While I don't personally aspire as a woman to look anything like a bodybuilder, I do admire the hard work and dedication it takes to look like April does. Admittedly, April is a personal trainer who definitely practices what she preaches!

elle4ec said:

So, a healthy diet and regular weight-bearing exercise is important for all women, especially as we age, to maintain our bone health, and to protect us from thinning bones and fractures.

I want to thank you all for the advice (and Elle's forgiveness in hijacking her thread. ;) )

I did a lot of research last night because of much of what was stated and I'm rethinking my work out routine. Hell, I'm rethinking my life at this present moment. lol

I suppose my whole mindset was that if a woman lifted weights she'd start to look like a guy---or at least have muscles like a guy. And I suppose with always having broad shoulders my fear was that those shoulders would get even broader. I had enough of being mistaken for a boy when I was younger (and gee I was a "tom-boy"), that I do anything I can NOT to look like a guy. Which brings me right back to weight lifting when toning up.

So once again, I find myself listening to my friends on this site and doing some research. I'm happy with what I have read and do want to do what is best for my body as I age. The last thing I want to be is some hunched over little old lady with a cane. At 90, heck, I want to climb the Sydney Harbour bridge again!

John, can you PM you number again...I really need to speak with you. Thanks.

Ok, I'm off to get my hair done and unless "Got Milk" changes anything...I am having dinner with Bernie in LA tonight. Now---that's what I'm talkin' about!

PS: The Boxer---ROCKS! :)

Conquering my fear of heights...me and my friend Julie on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Nov. 2005.