Rolling Stone: The Beatles 100 Greatest Songs

MikeC

• 3 months later...

I'll start with the number six greatest Beatles song, "Something". Amazingly, it is The Beatles second most covered song by other artists, only to "Let It Be".

It was a song that George Harrison brought to EMI studios, as a demo. He was shy about his songs. He really was working on his own without co-writers or someone to sound-off or talk about their impression of it.

Along with two other songs-"Old Brown Shoe" which became side 'B' to the song, "Let It Be". And "All Things Must Pass".

The Beatles John thought it was the best track on the album. And Paul called it the best song that George has written.

The Beatles worked on "Something" for several months. The song that recording demo-engineer Glyn Johns heard, then producer George Martin, who never thought that the George could write that song.

I'll give a list of songs in the next thread. I'll try to compare them from the different albums.

Oh, George directed Paul's bass playing part and the string overdubs. "A first", engineer Geoff Emerick said.

And here are five songs, from 1963 to 1969 that George had strong guitar influences:

"I Saw Her Standing There," 1963. A song from Harrison's fifties influences, rockabilly style and sharp phrasing. But so simple that it confounded one guitarist, Tom Petty, who thought it couldn't be played with that simple style.

"A Hard Days Night," 1964. This one is interesting, too. Played on a 12- string Rickenbacker. In this song, George's tone became the sound of folk rock. Notes were played twice, because of the guitar used.

"I'm Only Sleeping," 1966. Described as a "trippy solo," because the tape was played backward. He overdubbed a second solo with a fuzz box. McCartney said, "It was a beautiful solo".

"Hey Bulldog," 1968. Usually, George played with precision. Instead, he did a freakout solo. His amp up very loud along with the fuzz boxes. A technique used (turning the amplifiers way up high) in other songs producing a kicking Rock sound.

George considered himself to be a guitar fanatic, who often would play on multiple takes in a song. This helped the group to have a distinct sound, and also to redefine sounds by reshaping former songs to new ones.

Side Two medley, Abbey Road, 1969. This brought the band to a very positive time in the studio. They all played the two song medley as a group. And not as soloists, like one person in the studio recording, then the next.