No Hard Feelings: Guitar Chords

I know in the song, you chronicle the raspberries Eric. I was wondering about the guitar chords down the stretch near the end of the tune.Now by no means do I have a musicians ear, but I think I hear some chords similar but not exact to Go all the Way.I just always think of Go all the Way at that moment in the song.I was always curious about it. If so its a nice tribute touch to the song.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, a clever way of putting in that riff that was the start of the bands success, that meshes with the other outro song riff...when EC is screaming to be let out of all the B.S. and "Image Prison" and legal problems, and band politics...

Songwriting and producing genius, I'd say...

I wonder if that idea was thought out by Eric beforehand, or added on the fly during recording/mixing the track.

"critics loved us but we were making 50 cents"

Just like a marraige, money is a hard wedge, that fans the flame., Keith and Mick have tested the waters, and realize individually they aren't even close fiscally (and probably creatively) to what they are together. If the 'berries were making money hand over fist, seems to me that some disagreements would have been overlooked, and with label support, they probably could have been on the verge of their 5th album being their Sgt Pepper/Pet Sounds trophy.

Great lyrics, I treat NHF as a cool proactive olive branch to the band as everyone takes on a new chapter, not better, just different, and an acknowledgement that we all got collectively screwed, no bad guys. My question.. Eric, what was the band feedback from that song at the time? Did you have any?

I always thought that not only was the song an olive branch, but it was one hell of a rock song... It showed a lot of class to write and perform so close after the demise of the 'berries.

For the record, since I mentioned "class"... Scott recorded a nice little "afterward" to the band as well called "Thanks For The Ride" as I recall...

The angst of not getting along can actually lead to composer creativity. Lennon and McCartney were quite more competive than most realize, though they had a period where they wrote together, and also literally helped each other finish songs that had met a brick wall, they wanted the next single, which made them try harder. Unfortunately George was left in the dust until, Weeps and Something.

Eric talks about "Stale". It's actually a compliment. If the group breaks up and you still write about each other, mean or nice, it means youre still relevant. Being ignored is the worse outcome.

John came out of the chute and wrote a non-cryptic song on his solo album called "How Do You Sleep" complete with album graphics making fun of "Ram". which included Pauls solo song, "Too Many People" aimed at John. There are more both ways but the ultimate might be Pauls, "Silly Love Songs" which was written around a negative quote by John and went on to be a hit single.

Apparently, Pauls "Let Me Roll it" was his olive branch to John. Nevertheless, when Paul showed up unannouced at Johns Dakota apartment with his guitar on his back, and they buried the hatchet that night, Sat night Live did a sketch of offering the Beatles $1,000 to reunite (you can give Ringo less), apparently they were so close to catching the 10 min cab ride and showing up, but didn't, probably too impaired.

I love No Hard Feelings 'cause it's a three open chord song I can play, most of Erics songs are an amateurs acoustic guitar players nightmare.

It's all kind of vague now, but I remember someone telling me this guy was in the audience heckling me, and the crowd was ready to kill him. "All By Myself" was climbing the charts and had reached somewhere around the top 20. That must have really ticked a few people off. Wally, Jeff Hutton, Danny Klawon and whoever else was in their band were in the audience for one of the shows. I remember talking to Jeff and he he looked really stoned. In any case, the heckling didn't really affect me, because I never heard it, and, apparently the audience was so upset they were ready to get physical with the hecklers.

All I remember is getting the best review of my entire life, and David Cassidy, Gerry Beckley, Joey Molland, Ricky Fataar and Carl Wilson coming onstage for the encore. It was great fun and anyone spewing venom was just "sour grapes."

I love Scott McCarl. He is one of the kindest, most talented people I've ever worked with. My only regret is that we didn't meet years earlier, before the band was beyond saving. I truly enjoyed our time together. Scott was so innocent, a breath of fresh air. All he wanted to do was make great music and I knew when I met him we had had all the same "Beatle Dreams."

I have nothing but good memories of working with him.